Today marks 11 years since our Father of Loud passed away...

• Thread starter GustHFS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. to Jim, as much as his involvement in the design has been overstated, we can't ignore that without him there would be no Marshall Amplification.

But we all know who the real fathers of loud are.

R.I P. Dudley and Ken.

And In reality didn't Fender have more to do with the first Marshall amps design than Jim did?

Mastershon

Reaction score
R.I.P. to Jim, as much as his involvement in the design has been overstated, we can't ignore that without him there would be no Marshall Amplification.

R.I P. Dudley and Ken.

And In reality didn't Fender have more to do with the first Marshall amps design than Jim did?
That’s like saying Marconi and RCA have more to do with Fenders development than Leo did.

Or like saying Ford counts but Chevrolet and Dodge don’t.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s like saying Marconi and RCA have more to do with Fenders development than Leo did.
My point was Jim had little to do with the actual development of the first amplifier.

if Leo let others design his amplifiers based on the designs of others you've mentioned, which is true, then yes, same scenario.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I used to see Jim every year at NAMM. He would hand out signed Marshall T-shirts (I still have several). I have a pic around here somewhere of use two shaking hands (NAMM '88). He was a very nice guy to talk to. RIP JM......

Last edited:

Mastershon

Reaction score
My point was Jim had little to do with the actual development of the first amplifier.

if Leo let others design his amplifiers based on the designs of others you've mentioned, which is true, then yes, same scenario.
Eh it’s needless needling. Jim was instrumental in the design and development and execution of a successful product. Do we say Henry Ford didn’t really do anything, his engineers did? Did Leo do it in a vacuum without the assistance or influence others? Did he just miraculously come up with something out of the blue, or was it an evolution from previous engineering developments?

wesgee

Reaction score

R.I P. Dudley and Ken.

I believe the first Marshall guitar amp was based on the old Fender Bassman design from the 60's. If you look at the schematics you can see the obvious similarities between the two. RIP Jim! P.S. proud owner of a '72 50W 1987 head:)

Latest posts