Today marks 11 years since our Father of Loud passed away...

• Thread starter GustHFS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the first Marshall guitar amp was based on the old Fender Bassman design from the 60's. If you look at the schematics you can see the obvious similarities between the two. RIP Jim! P.S. proud owner of a '72 50W 1987 head:)
Yes. I'm aware. My point exactly.

AttillaDeHunt

Reaction score
I find it disturbing and sad that, on this forum clearly carrying the man's name, that a R.I.P. tribute/mention has turned into a "lippy" retort-fest about mis-placed credit and who deserves what parts of it, rather than simple recognization of the passing of the man without whom much of the gear owned here would never have gone to retail, nor would this silly forum exist to belittle his name on. R.I.P. Jim, and thanks.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give Jim his props, as I mentioned earlier Marshall Amplification wouldn't have come to be without Jim's efforts, no argument, no question.

I have loved Marshall amps since I was a teenager, and appreciate the brand ...thousands and thousands of dollars appreciate brand.

I appreciate Dudley, Ken, and Ken as well. Dudley built the first amp in his shed..stating that is not disrespecting Jim, as if The three I mentioned weren't tasked by Jim to build that first amp the brand would never have come to be.

I get the point, maybe not appropriate in this thread, and I apologize for the perceived disrespect.

GustHFS

Reaction score
I find it disturbing and sad that, on this forum clearly carrying the man's name, that a R.I.P. tribute/mention has turned into a "lippy" retort-fest about mis-placed credit and who deserves what parts of it, rather than simple recognization of the passing of the man without whom much of the gear owned here would never have gone to retail, nor would this silly forum exist to belittle his name on. R.I.P. Jim, and thanks.
As the guy who posted this thread, I also didn't expect it to generate so much discussion about who really deserved the due credit. I was very clear in one of my subsequent posts that everyone deserved our respect, Dudley and Ken, but that was Jim's day, so my tribute. Maybe if I had said that in the initial post, things wouldn't have gone that way, but I doubt it. Since I subscribed to this forum a little over a month ago I have been disappointed with some things, mainly related to the decontextualization of the main subjects, I even made it clear that from now on I do not intend to post anything that is not related to technical content. As I'm a newbie maybe I'm just wondering how things go around here, and in the future maybe I'll change my mind. Not now...

Gust

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Met him at a couple of product launches. To me he was the guy who owned the company but he had all the time in the world to chat to me - a nobody who owned one of his more lowly amps - for as long as I wanted about anything including how he liked to go round to Bert Weedons house to jam, to Jimi, to beer - whatever.
There are people who can design amps and there are people who can run companies. To do the latter you often have to make hard decisions and as a result can become unpopular. Way of the world.

Latest posts