Treble boost for a SV20h?

• Thread starter BatmansMarshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
So I am thinking if a treble boost pedal with the SV20h will help me hit 70s hard rock tones like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin? I am looking at Dallas Rangemaster clones. However I have a Wampler Tumnus which gets a lot of love with this amp. I have the usual suspects in terms of overdrives but I am thinking maybe something like a Catalinbread Naga Viper would work or even holding out for the new Skewer when it goes on sale. Is this a good idea or does the SV20h already come with enough boosted treble if I go with some configuration already in the amp?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I am thinking if a treble boost pedal with the SV20h will help me hit 70s hard rock tones like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin? I am looking at Dallas Rangemaster clones. However I have a Wampler Tumnus which gets a lot of love with this amp. I have the usual suspects in terms of overdrives but I am thinking maybe something like a Catalinbread Naga Viper would work or even holding out for the new Skewer when it goes on sale. Is this a good idea or does the SV20h already come with enough boosted treble if I go with some configuration already in the amp?
You dont need anything special to get those tones, whatever you buy get it from somewhere with a liberal return policy in case its not right. Personally I think you can get those tones already with whatever you have you just gotta dial things in right. :yesway:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Use the high normal input. Crank it into overdrive and hit it with the Treble Booster.

I have the Naga Viper.

In my experience a Treble Booster and amp needs to be adjusted together. That may seem obvious but the point is if I'm using one i dont turn the TB off once i get what i like. It's all guitar from there.

Edit: A Treble Booster effect isn't the same as boosting treble on the amp. You will not get that unique sound without one.

mAx___

Reaction score
For Deep Purple tones you'll need one or two very specific boosters, depending on what era you're after. One should be based on the Hornby Skewes (Gillan era) and the other on the AIWA TP-1011 preamp (Coverdale/Dio/etc.). Check my signature for some demos if you're interested.
For Led Zep is a totally different setup. Just plug a Les Paul in and you're all set. :)

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I'm partial to TBs. The first time I used one i heard a lot of tones that had caught my ear. It's as on its own as fuzz is to a tubescreamer.

I haven't spent a ton of time using my SV setup with one but enough to say don't be surprised how bassy the amp is on it's own to get them blended right. Thus the reason for the TB to be always on. Your stuck with it but it's a good stuck with it. It's a really cool distortion sound.

Normal channel is totally useable for those old circuits like that. I have a Whirlwind Gold Box MXR D+ that also sounds great pushing that channel.

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
For Deep Purple tones you'll need one or two very specific boosters, depending on what era you're after. One should be based on the Hornby Skewes (Gillan era) and the other on the AIWA TP-1011 preamp (Coverdale/Dio/etc.). Check my signature for some demos if you're interested.
For Led Zep is a totally different setup. Just plug a Les Paul in and you're all set. :)

Have you seen these?

https://catalinbread.com/products/dreamcoat-skewer-special-edition-box

Box_Final_Shopify-01-min.png

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
While not my first rodeo I don't use 100W amps. I got a Marshall Origin 50W last year. I got the SC20h last month. I just purchased a SV20h. It's a lot of money but unlike the DSL series I am feeling that maybe Marshall has actually done it right this time so investing in the Plexi is maybe a good move also. I just hope I haven't gone into GAS oblivion. However now I am looking at the reissue of the 20W Jubilee and I am thinking that is Slash tones or what? I do play quite a bit of GnR but not so much else I can think of that uses Jubilee tones. Is it that different sounding from the SC20h?

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
However now I am looking at the reissue of the 20W Jubilee and I am thinking that is Slash tones or what? I do play quite a bit of GnR but not so much else I can think of that uses Jubilee tones. Is it that different sounding from the SC20h?
Yes! And the Jube is capable of so many tones! Speaking as an owner of a 2555SL, not a 2525…

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
I have been playing now for nine hours almost straight since I unboxed it.

I played Hendrix x5
I played Deep Purple x 5
I played Led Zepellin x 3
I played some Robin Trower.
I played some Oasis.
I put an overdrive in front (Maxon 808)
I played early Iron Maiden (fab!)
I played some Ozzy.
I played Judas Priest.

It's fantastic. It sounds amazing. I might even like this a bit more than the SC20h. Both are easily the best amps I have ever bought by a mile.

sv20hjumped.jpg

John Stedman

Reaction score
You won't get the sound of a treble booster from an amp alone, treble boosters do more than just boost treble and they work best with an already crunchy amp. More like a bass cut, mid boost, overdrive/slight fuzz with an added "grainy" magic. I have seven treble boosters (due to a long-standing Brian May obsession), including the Catalinbread Naga Viper and the Fulltone CS Ranger OC75.

I just played Deep Purple riffs for an hour on my 1976 Stratocaster / Marshall SLP100, trying both pedals, and I'd have to say the Naga Viper is darker than the CS Ranger. At everything on full the Naga sounds closest to the Ranger on it's RM-1 (original Dallas RM) setting, but with more gain, and you can't set it any brighter. The Ranger can go darker (say, for Black Sabbath tones) or brighter from RM-1. The Ranger is more versatile, but it lacks the saturation levels of gain you can get with the Viper.

My favorite treble booster is an MJM Dallas Boost but it's out of production and mine's currently broken. A close second would be my Union T&T Snap, but I tend to use my DOD YJM308 more often. The YJM308 circuit (hard clipping) is closer to a treble booster than to soft clipping types (BOSS OD-1 / Tubescreamer) and it has more gain on tap than either the Naga or Ranger, but it doesn't do Brian May tones as well as a true treble booster.

Last edited:

fat_lenny

Reaction score
I’ll put it down to me and user error, but I picked up an Electro Harmonix Screaming Bird treble booster and just can’t get anything useful from it.

not sure if it’s me, or it’s just not a good pedal.

kind of want to try a different pedal.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Tony Iommi Boost. It sounds really good with my SV20. It has a bass/treble EQ after the transistor stage so you can shape the tone a bit more. I haven’t compared it to more vintage styled treble boosters, but I really like what it does.