Tube Screamer

• Thread starter StootMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StootMonster

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about getting a tube screamer and scrapping my Mesa Boogie V-Twin... does anyone have one they don't use that they would be willing to sell and ship to me... or let me try it out in good faith and see if I like it. If I don't, I'll just ship it right back to you...

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
that mesa has tubes doesn't it?

ya know, its funny but i have never had or tried a od pedal with tubes that I like. Sounds like a great idea, but i've never had one work out for me.

I got a xtra TS in a trade one time,....I'll make sure it works ok and let ya try it out if you want to pay shipping,.....prbably like 8.95 [small flat rate box]

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a TS9 the last time I was in Nashville for $50. It's a really great sounding pedal with the Vintage Modern and single-coils. I haven't had one in awhile but the reissue sounds like what I remember the old ones sounding like. The TS9 can easily be modded to 808 specs if you want, too.

StootMonster

Reaction score
Talking w/ Chuck Harmon on FB right now about modding my DSL... I just don't see any point in running my tube pedal as an EQ in front of my Marshall... seems like... well, stupid.

I want a good ballsy lead, but can't seem to find the right tone - seems like the only time you get to really find a your sound for that venue is during soundcheck and everything is always so rushed then... I can't seem to get the thinness out of my tone and I know that I can get good tones out of my setup. It's totally mod-less ... lemme thinka bout all this.. but yeah - Lester, it has a few tubes in there, it's a great pedal - especially running in front of a solid state amp.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Talking w/ Chuck Harmon on FB right now about modding my DSL... I just don't see any point in running my tube pedal as an EQ in front of my Marshall... seems like... well, stupid.

I want a good ballsy lead, but can't seem to find the right tone - seems like the only time you get to really find a your sound for that venue is during soundcheck and everything is always so rushed then... I can't seem to get the thinness out of my tone and I know that I can get good tones out of my setup. It's totally mod-less ... lemme thinka bout all this.. but yeah - Lester, it has a few tubes in there, it's a great pedal - especially running in front of a solid state amp.

it sounds like you need a 7-10 band eq for boost & thickness instead of a screamer.

StootMonster

Reaction score
it sounds like you need a 7-10 band eq for boost & thickness instead of a screamer.

Does that come in the form of a pedal, or is that a rack mounted deal?

Also, WL - why would I need one IN the loop and one IN FRONT of the amp? Or has my nite time meds made me so groggy this morning I can't understand simple english?

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I would even say 6 to 10 band EQ to throw in the MXR product but they are just your little classic stomp EQ pedals. It can go in the loop or out front. Just depends on your tastes. To my ears, I get the most bang for the buck by using it out front. The DSL loop to me doesn't really seem to do much other then a decent spot to throw the delay pedal if you want that "cleaner" processed kinda U2 type of sound. Yeah, I use it alot that way to cover my Chris Tomlin stuff.

Anyway, the MXR 6 band and Boss 7 band have been the only two I have played with. The MXR 10 band is highly touted. Great way to boost and tone shape at the same time! :thumb:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score

Also, WL - why would I need one IN the loop and one IN FRONT of the amp? Or has my nite time meds made me so groggy this morning I can't understand simple english?

When it comes to front of amp or FX loop, I view the pre amp as a distortion/dirt box.

Through the FX loop is like putting a pedal AFTER the dirt box (pre amp), and in front of the amp it like putting a pedal BEFORE the dirt box.
So an EQ can sound different before or after a dirt box, just depends no your taste. You may find it better in front or in the loop, or both! (Like WL mentioned)

RazorDave

Reaction score
I just tried the 808 for the first time, and I know one thing. Im gettin it FOR SURE!

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Isn't that the truth! He seems to have that amazing gift of being able to compose a song that can be just as powerful when he is just sitting there singing with an acoustic alone as it is when he has full band and choir accompaniment.

Seen him live a few times. Puts on a great show.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

boss ge-7 or mxr-10 a bit noisy but has an off unless it's the vintage mxr-10 then ya hit the bypass pedal.
see my rig in my sig- i don't have thw vintage(blue)- no on/off 10 but w/ a '59,87,jmp, or jcm 800- it's da chit. i personally w3ent the boss ge-7 route w/ 6550's long before ya ever heard of jake E/ wanker.

my old setup was 1981 jcm800 w/ 6550's,standard 4x12 cab(circa 1982),mxr dist+ boss ge-7eq,vox wah,old mxr stereo chorus,alesis midiverb2(for delays),
fener strat w/ a single emg 85 bucker,arbor "Rhoads prototype conchorde w/ sd invaders, ^& a epi(1981) korina explorer w/ home potted waxed standard pups. - btw ... Mr. Zog'a sex wax is da chit........:hmm:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Stoot, the little Danelectro Fish-n-Chips EQ is a cheap way to find out if that's what you're looking for. For $30 it sounds as good as the more expensive stuff. It even makes a nice little boost pedal. DON'T use batteries though. It eats them up.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I'd keep the Mesa as a preamp and run it into the effect return of the DSL for when you want a different preamp flavor. With an a/b switch, you could even select between the DSL preamp and the Mesa. That would be cool. I've done that kind of thing in the past. It works well.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
you guys talk about putting EQ's in loops but what kind of loop?
instrument or line level? make sure you know what kind it is and what
the EQ can handle. my loop is line level and my EQ ( GE-7) can't handle it.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score

I didn't really mean both, I ment either.

I use a boss ge7 sometimes, but my point is you can put it in front OR in the loop,.....try both, cuz it sounds way different depending where ya put it.

In front of your amp, is like eq'ing your guitar plus you can use it like a clean boost to overdrive your amp harder - kinda like a TS only only different [it would be more of a true 'clean boost' that way]

In the loop is like eq'ing your amp, and has a MUCH more dramatic effect on your tone,....barely moving the sliders here make a BIG difference. Also you can boost the gain on it to give you a SOLO BOOST - same tone, just louder.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
you guys talk about putting EQ's in loops but what kind of loop?
instrument or line level? make sure you know what kind it is and what
the EQ can handle. my loop is line level and my EQ ( GE-7) can't handle it.

Then you need a DSL dude! There is a nifty little button on the back that sets the loop level. :thumb: