• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tube shortage because of Russian import ban????

• Thread starter gtr1963
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eric'45

Reaction score
As always, people panicking and buying up all the stock is what creates the shortages...

The argument 'well, them young guys don't care about Vacuum Tubes anymore' is not exactly true. I am young, and I care very much about Tube Amps.
I don't heat with Oil recently, my Room gets heated by
19 12AX7s
4 KT77s
2 EL34s
2 5881s
and 2 EL84s, If I power up everything at once.

ken361

Reaction score
I do like the green label EH power tubes in the SV combo, JJ in the SC for now. Funny that the tungsol in the mini jubilee works, the EH darkened the highs some. The tungs sounded good in the SC but was a little weaker in the gain. They were used though.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I do like the green label EH power tubes in the SV combo, JJ in the SC for now. Funny that the tungsol in the mini jubilee works, the EH darkened the highs some. The tungs sounded good in the SC but was a little weaker in the gain. They were used though.
I have plenty of those too. :)

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
As always, people panicking and buying up all the stock is what creates the shortages...

The argument 'well, them young guys don't care about Vacuum Tubes anymore' is not exactly true. I am young, and I care very much about Tube Amps.
I don't heat with Oil recently, my Room gets heated by
19 12AX7s
4 KT77s
2 EL34s
2 5881s
and 2 EL84s, If I power up everything at once.
You do realize that most if not all of your electricity to run all those tubes depends on oil and gas, right?

Kelia

Reaction score
According to Bob Gjika , it's not looking good , watch the full video.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I went to GC yesterday. Noticed they had some Groove Tubes 6L6’s. I have a Soldano HR 50, so i decided what the heck, no one else has any tubes, ill grab a couple of pairs. Turns out, 4 outta the 5 pairs were -R, meaning they were produced in Russia. Those would NOT ring up. The one pair that were Chinese scanned fine. Dude says, “oh we were suppose to trash these -R’s.” He told me they were instructed to destroy them and show proof/pics that they did. I thought it was a bit extreme. I mean, why not just sell them and when they’re gone, theyre gone? So dumb!! But, GC does stupid shite all the time. Not surprising.
He’s full of crap. They’re likely going to sell them marked up after he buys them himself.
One thing with Groove Tubes (owned by Fender), the tube model ends with R or S, the S are Slovakia, so they’re JJ.
I picked up a pair of -S 12AX7, I was going to leave them but I remembered someone saying EHX weren’t very good in a couple spots in the JVM, so figured best to have a couple JJ also.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awe man!
I am glad I have a large stash.
Anybody want to buy a matched pair of EL34 for $200?
Just kidding. I am not selling.
Yet.
I ain't selling either.

I saw there's an asshole on ebay asking $175 for 2 evh branded 12AX7's..fucking vultures.

I guess my Mullards, rft's and Tele's are worth at least that a peice now right? Maybe more.

Panic buyers are their own worst enemy.

Kelia

Reaction score
I ain't selling either.

I saw there's an asshole on ebay asking $175 for 2 evh branded 12AX7's..fucking vultures.

I guess my Mullards, rft's and Tele's are worth at least that a peice now right? Maybe more.

Panic buyers are their own worst enemy.
I just sold a brand new matched quad of EL34 Svetlana's that I got
a few years ago and haven't used them , sold them for $175 .
So to make a long story short , yes ! , this guy is , and I confirm ,is and asshole. haha , I had fun writing this ! :D

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm an asshole too..you guys know this..and Hey no offense Kella, that's not that far off for el34's..still a bit gougey though..lol.

I could make a small fortune selling my stash but I don't want to take advantage of the situation...and they're MINE!!ALLMINE!!!!

Kelia

Reaction score
I'm an asshole too..you guys know this..and Hey no offense Kella, that's not that far off for el34's..still a bit gougey though..lol.

I could make a small fortune selling my stash but I don't want to take advantage of the situation...and they're MINE!!ALLMINE!!!!
I made sure I was way below , even half of what everyone else was asking, like on the link below,
they were asking $333 for the same quad .
I'm sure my price was good because it took five minutes after the ad was put on
and the person was thanking me like if I cured him from a deadly disease !

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made sure I was way below , even half of what everyone else was asking, like on the link below,
they were asking $333 for the same quad .
I'm sure my price was good because it took five minutes after the ad was put on and the person was thanking me like
if I cured him from a deadly disease !

I was thinking pair for some reason. I'm a stupid asshole as well .lol. Yea a quad that ain't bad.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Not so... there's Groove Tubes in addition to the EH photo shown in the post above.

If you haven't got your tubes by now, it's most likely too late for the near future. This will resolve though. Humans are so panicked. Tube amps aren't going anywhere. The last report from JJ Electric lists a yearly revenue of $8 plus million. There is $$$ to be made and tubes will continue. Just look at all the posts on the topic! The demand is as strong as ever.
I stand corrected. I was told this by a really experienced tech. But the rebranding thing is weird...EH and others may have contracted with JJ. You just never know...its just that all the amp companies were having white stamped Marshall tubes, then suddenly they were all red. White could either be from China or Russia, so I was told, but anything these days in red is probably Slovakian. I've got enough pre- and power tubes to last probably ten years, so I am lucky.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Rock music was actually part of the Slovakian democratic movement, so I think that they are really invested in that factory.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I feel fortunate to have enough inventory to feed any amps I own or might own for several lifetimes. If my freinds get desparate I can help,them out too.

Also if somebody wants to overpay, I’ll make sure they know they are overpaying, then make the sale. I could sell a fraction of what I have and buy a Kemper, then keep my vintage amps for home use and gig with my own amps profiles.

Ladt night I heard a VanHalen tribute use a Kemper with a major profilers plexi profile.The sounddesk had the guitar so low you couldn’t hear it over the drums, and when it was just guitar it was so dark and muddy it didn’t sound anything like VanHalen. Listening to the guitar players monitor, it was HIS settings that made it dark. I decided right then I would play a Kemper using a profile of my 68 plexi through my 68 4x12. FOH can mic it and if people complain they can’t hear the guitar, I’ll turn my amp UP, or put the real plexi in the cab since I always bring a backup.

A tube shortage does not worry me.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I was told this by a really experienced tech. But the rebranding thing is weird...EH and others may have contracted with JJ. You just never know...its just that all the amp companies were having white stamped Marshall tubes, then suddenly they were all red. White could either be from China or Russia, so I was told, but anything these days in red is probably Slovakian. I've got enough pre- and power tubes to last probably ten years, so I am lucky.
nah...

There (used to be) 3 main factories. The main ones were:

Shuguang in China
Reflektor in Russia
JJ in Slovakia

Then, there was the St Petersburg Svetlana/ =c= in Russia
& Guagang China

Reflektor makes Sovtek, EH, Mullard, Gold Lion, Svetlana (not =c=), etc.
JJ makes JJ, Tesla & Telefunken
Shuguang (now defunct) made Sino, & their own namesake (anything branded "China")
Guagang made Psvane (now Linlai)
Svetlana =c= are out of business

The only 2 that have cooperative efforts were Psvane & Shuguang, for a bit.

Reflektor, while assuming the name Svetlana, when the St Petersburg plant had the name initially, sued =c= for the name & won...

JJ are their own thing...

The red screen print on tubes means nothing...

Kelia

Reaction score
Think I know why Tubestore closed for a few days, the drawing board ! Now they're back on but man
those tubes jumped up in price ! and a lot ! Eeek !! :eek: