• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tubes?

• Thread starter 61002203
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Not mind boggled by the amps, just commented on the complexity of the circuit vs. classis NMV amps, and the degree to which tubes affect tone.
But I'm glad that a few words from my differing opinion taken out of context was able to make you feel superior in some way.

Other than an unsubstantiated blanket hatred of JJ, do you have any other brilliant advice for the OP?
He specifically asked for thoughts on a TAD packaged set and no one has yet to answer that inquiry.
Any examples, in your expert opinion, of your significant differences in the tubes you've tried?
Do you favor a specific brand, or can you share your results from trying different gain factor tubes, and in what positions?
Who thought tubes could be so interesting? Lol

LyseFar

Reaction score
I recently bought a TAD Redbase EL34 quad. One tube failed pretty fast. Think they are chinese. I will stay clear of these moving ahead.
Have decided to give JJs a go next time. Its been a while since I’ve used them.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who thought tubes could be so interesting? Lol
Opinions will vary in regard to tube brands and gain factors.
Identical tubes can sound different.
Different tubes can sound the same.
What one person prefers is what they happen to prefer.
Trial and error, random chance and dumb luck is the magic formula.

What's the best pizza topping?
There isn't one answer.

You are the only person that can decide what tubes work best for the tones you are after.
As you know, there are a few tubes in a 6100.
Get your feet wet before you dive into a full set of new tubes.
Get a few different tubes from a few different brands and try swapping one at a time in your amp in different positions to see what you think is better or worse.

Derrick111

Reaction score
For reference, I have used tube amps playing in bands, touring, recording, and I've worked in a repair facility. I am currently responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of a large collection of vintage (primarily British but many American) tube amplifiers where tube selection really matters both in terms of tone and reliability (some amps are pretty hard on tubes). I typically use original Mullard, RCA, etc preamp tubes (except in customer amps), but power tubes tend to be new except for the beauties still kicking but today after all these years like Mullard, GEC, RCA, Tesla, RFT, and original Svetlana/Winged =C=.

I have never had luck or liked the sound of Sovetek, but some of the more expensive "brands" that New Sensor (Russia) makes can be alright. The Elextro Harmonix are also not ranked highly by me. Too much like the Soveteks I despise. Some of the pricier offerings from New Sensor can be alright, but I hate the low lines from them and avoid at all costs.

I don't like the fizzy Chinese 12AX7s and the output tubes can be alright or they can have issues with super cheap construction. Plus, they don't last very long in my experiences, so I generally pass on them.

That leaves JJ. I hold them in high regards because they are very, very robust, well built tubes, that tend to work with higher B+ on the plates compared to many of the New Sensor or Chinese made tubes. They sound good over all and I just see them as the best choice having the most advantage over a lot of other tubes offered today. They equal or even best the top offerings of others today at 1/2 the cost or less. The JJ EL-34s remind me a bit of the 80s Teslas I likes.

Reaction score
Opinions will vary in regard to tube brands and gain factors.
Identical tubes can sound different.
Different tubes can sound the same.
What one person prefers is what they happen to prefer.
Trial and error, random chance and dumb luck is the magic formula.

What's the best pizza topping?
There isn't one answer.

You are the only person that can decide what tubes work best for the tones you are after.
As you know, there are a few tubes in a 6100.
Get your feet wet before you dive into a full set of new tubes.
Get a few different tubes from a few different brands and try swapping one at a time in your amp in different positions to see what you think is better or worse.
So it sounds like not much has changed since the last time I tuned into the tube game lol. Damb if ya do or don't no matter what tubes you use. I'll talk with @anitoli about what he thinks. And go from there.

Thanks to everybody on their suggestions and opinions.

Reaction score
For reference, I have used tube amps playing in bands, touring, recording, and I've worked in a repair facility. I am currently responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of a large collection of vintage (primarily British but many American) tube amplifiers where tube selection really matters both in terms of tone and reliability (some amps are pretty hard on tubes). I typically use original Mullard, RCA, etc preamp tubes (except in customer amps), but power tubes tend to be new except for the beauties still kicking but today after all these years like Mullard, GEC, RCA, Tesla, RFT, and original Svetlana/Winged =C=.

I have never had luck or liked the sound of Sovetek, but some of the more expensive "brands" that New Sensor (Russia) makes can be alright. The Elextro Harmonix are also not ranked highly by me. Too much like the Soveteks I despise. Some of the pricier offerings from New Sensor can be alright, but I hate the low lines from them and avoid at all costs.

I don't like the fizzy Chinese 12AX7s and the output tubes can be alright or they can have issues with super cheap construction. Plus, they don't last very long in my experiences, so I generally pass on them.

That leaves JJ. I hold them in high regards because they are very, very robust, well built tubes, that tend to work with higher B+ on the plates compared to many of the New Sensor or Chinese made tubes. They sound good over all and I just see them as the best choice having the most advantage over a lot of other tubes offered today. They equal or even best the top offerings of others today at 1/2 the cost or less. The JJ EL-34s remind me a bit of the 80s Teslas I likes.
I've never gotten to try a good set of mullards because they were pricey at the time and playing 50-100 plus shows ayear for a long time jjs just made more sense. Right thanks for the input

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
My view is that of equal importance to the brand / manufacturer is the QC.
Unless you can buy dirt cheap and have got the necessary competence and resources (including time!), I strongly recommend to buy from vendors that provide a rigorous screening / testing / grading procedure.
And a solid warranty, as no matter how good their procedure, valves are fragile and shipping is harsh.

But a warranty is no good unless you check the valves yourself soon after receipt.
With output and rectifier valves, it’s highly recommended to use a light bulb limiter on initial power up and full load test, in cases of shorts.

Mesa, Ruby, TAD, Watford have good reps.

Last edited:

Karl Brake

Reaction score
My understanding is that TAD buy, test, grade and rebrand valves from any / all available sources, reputably even commission ’special tube request’ STR improved / uprated versions of standard lines. eg the redbase series is a Chinese made STR https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/tad-products/tad-redbase/

The current TAD 6100 set seems to include valves made in China. Slovakia and Russia. https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/tubeset-for-marshall-6100/6101-with-el34?number=TS-M-6100.6101-EL34

TAD offer a good testing process and warranty, so you can’t go too far wrong.
Interesting. Tad are a little bit if a different animal maybe, but...

Karl Brake

Reaction score
My view is that of equal importance to the brand / manufacturer is the QC.
Unless you can buy dirt cheap and have got the necessary competence and resources (including time!), I strongly recommend to buy from vendors that provide a rigorous screening / testing / grading procedure.
And a solid warranty, as no matter how good their procedure, valves are fragile and shipping is harsh.

But a warranty is no good unless you check the valves yourself soon after receipt.
With output and rectifier valves, it’s highly recommended to use a light bulb limiter on initial power up and full load test, in cases of shorts.

Mesa, Ruby, TAD, Watford have good reps.
Amplified parts has one of the only remaining Apex matching devices, which I'm told are the absolute best. Eurotubes burns everything in for 24 hours and seems honestly committed to quality and only sells JJs. I only buy from those two sources...mostly just AP who seems the most qualified. Definitely don't buy from just some Amazon or EBay vendor.

Karl Brake

Reaction score

This is what my tech friends tell me, pretty much verbatim.

Reaction score
Amplified parts has one of the only remaining Apex matching devices, which I'm told are the absolute best. Eurotubes burns everything in for 24 hours and seems honestly committed to quality and only sells JJs. I only buy from those two sources...mostly just AP who seems the most qualified. Definitely don't buy from just some Amazon or EBay vendor.
No never from ebay etc. Unless there was a specific purpose for the purchase. I wouldn't want to deal with more then likely b or c stock tubes.

I will keep apex matched in mind. I would rather buy a good a stock set since this thing is gonna be more of a played trailer queen at this point. Goes in the road case if it needs to go anywhere type setup.

Thanks man

Derrick111

Reaction score
Bam! This is the part that so many miss and I can stress the importance of this enough. Thanks for bringing that up. Even if you aren't planing to use tubes right away, if you don't test them as soon as they are received from the seller, then what good is the warranty if you got a dud! Check em in an amp for a bit, then box them up if all appears good.

Bkiller43

Reaction score
Replaced power and pre tubes in my SC20 with JJ sense it came with 2 original Chinese’s tubes that are no longer produced. Had one fail in V2 a bit after install. Warranty through B&H and back up and running. Sticking with JJ. Bought some EL-34II power tubes to try. I like them but stuck the standard el-34 back in. Sounds good to me. Classic rock and 80’s metal.

Latest posts