Unconventional modification AFD100

• Thread starter gianluca93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gianluca93

Reaction score
We all know that one of the cool features on the afd100 is the built in power attenuator , the more I look at that knob on the amp tho... the more I keep saying to myself " Wouldn't be cool if we had some sort of attenuation pedal instead...??"

Now the thing is....It can be done??? It would be such an unconventional modification..

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We all know that one of the cool features on the afd100 is the built in power attenuator , the more I look at that knob on the amp tho... the more I keep saying to myself " Wouldn't be cool if we had some sort of attenuation pedal instead...??"

Now the thing is....It can be done??? It would be such an unconventional modification..

Do you mean.. Having 2 power controls, and then having a foot switch to jump between them for a volume boost ?

gianluca93

Reaction score
Do you mean.. Having 2 power controls, and then having a foot switch to jump between them for a volume boost ?

No....I mean a sort of volume pedal like this to regulate the power attenuator (0.1-100W)

ErnieBallVolumePedalLogo.jpg

instead of the knob on the amp , so one could regulate the attenuator while playing...

shredless

Reaction score
do you guys remember that small amp builder from minneapolis that made the amp with a gas pedal?

it was a ernie ball volume converted to adjust the gain, not the volume
so you could play crystal clean and add gas to dirty it up

guess he didnt get anywhere with that. I remember seeing it at a store where he worked back around 2003...he had a few protos done and was trying to go into production

gianluca93

Reaction score
That mod wouldn't work.

The attenuation in the AFD is "stepped". If you land in between "steps" you'll get all sort of nasty volume cut issues and other things.

:nono:

Seriusly??? Are there 100 steps on that little knob???...I don't own an AFD100 , but it seems not plausible

gianluca93

Reaction score
Not to mention going from 1 to 100w on your foot could go horribly wrong pretty fast lol. Pretty sure a volume pedal in the loop is the best way for volume foot control

Yeah but tone does change a lot in the process , an attenuator pedal would keep your tone more or less identical just like the knob does..

maxxi

Reaction score
why would you want to adjust the power control on the fly? :scratch:
if its a volume cut/boost your after, just use the built in volume boost in the amps FX loop, much simpler and without the need to butcher a limited edition amp

gianluca93

Reaction score
why would you want to adjust the power control on the fly? :scratch:
if its a volume cut/boost your after, just use the built in volume boost in the amps FX loop, much simpler and without the need to butcher a limited edition amp

No I'm after a foot control to adjust the dB of the amp WITHOUT MODIFYING THE TONE...that's what an attenuator does...a volume pedal in the fx loop is a different animal isn't it??? ...otherwise why Marshall bothered to in-built such a thing..

gianluca93

Reaction score
The question is ..does a volume pedal in the effect loop modify your tone when you mess with it??

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
No I'm after a foot control to adjust the dB of the amp WITHOUT MODIFYING THE TONE...that's what an attenuator does...a volume pedal in the fx loop is a different animal isn't it??? ...otherwise why Marshall bothered to in-built such a thing..

I think he is referring to the fact you can set the FX loop volume on the back of the amp and engage the footswitch if you need a volume boost.

Marshall bothered so you can have the amp running full tilt at lower than bedroom levels....

Peace

Blueslicks

Reaction score

maxxi

Reaction score

marshall HAS built that into the AFD100! read the manual, the section about the FX loop in particular :wave:and before you ask, yes i own an AFD100 :applause:

link to manual: http://www.slashparadise.com/equipment/marshall-afd100-slash-handbook.pdf
its on page 5 of the manual

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Even though the epa is about firmware and has 21 steps the actual pot is just a dual gang pot... you can pull it out of the chassis make the wires longer and place it in a footcontroller... the hole where the pot used to be can be used to fit in a multiconnector jack... like say, fitting a midiplug...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

Varying the EPA does modify the tone, anytime you change the volume you are going to modify the tone, that's just a fact. All frequencies do not stay linear with volume (Fletcher Munsen). Plus, as someone already stated, the EPA control works in steps, so even if you did add a foot control the results would not be desirable. In addition, varying the EPA probably modifies the tone more than a volume pedal would, as you are not only changing the volume, but also changing the voltages on the output tubes when varying the EPA. Sorry, but I see no advantage to a modification of this type.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
There are no 'steps' on the EPA knob. Big Dooley just said it's doable, and I'll take his word on it. If there were steps, wouldn't the knob click? Mine doesn't.

Latest posts