unpopular opinions (musical or otherwise)

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Dio era Sabbath is better than Ozzy imo.

Also, I really like the Metallica Load album. I think it’s one of their best. It’s just different and not as appreciated as much as their early stuff. If that album was made by any other band but them, people would be going on about how great it is. But because it’s Metallica, people bash on it.
hmmm....

1.) I can only go as far as to say that the Dio Sabbath stuff is AS GOOD AS the Ozzy Sabbath stuff... that I would agree with.

2.) wow... I am at the exact polar opposite of your opinion on Metallica's Load album... I f*cking HATE their Load & Re-Load albums... as a matter of fact, that, and their black album are the only things in their discography that I don't like... they sound like they're trying to be a hard rock band instead of a metal band, and are doing a really sh*tty job at that.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
The Les Paul is an ugly-ass guitar, and the gold top is the ugliest of them all.

:coffee:
uglier than THIS?

chiralnirvana82528ebmodoceanburst1.jpg

mcblink

Reaction score
hmmm....

1.) I can only go as far as to say that the Dio Sabbath stuff is AS GOOD AS the Ozzy Sabbath stuff... that I would agree with.

2.) wow... I am at the exact polar opposite of your opinion on Metallica's Load album... I f*cking HATE their Load & Re-Load albums... as a matter of fact, that, and their black album are the only things in their discography that I don't like... they sound like they're trying to be a hard rock band instead of a metal band, and are doing a really sh*tty job at that.
Here's another unpopular opinion:

Load and ReLoad are two of Metallica's BEST albums!

If you didn't KNOW it was Metallica, and it didn't have Metallica's name on it, you could be forgiven for hearing moments and songwriting akin to what you might hear AiC doing in an alternate timeline...and they did a pretty good job of it. Some of the songs are stinkers though. Fuel, for example, should go die in a fire.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Here's another unpopular opinion:

Load and ReLoad are two of Metallica's BEST albums!

If you didn't KNOW it was Metallica, and it didn't have Metallica's name on it, you could be forgiven for hearing moments and songwriting akin to what you might hear AiC doing in an alternate timeline...and they did a pretty good job of it. Some of the songs are stinkers though. Fuel, for example, should go die in a fire.
obviously you already know what I think about those Metallica albums... but what's even funnier is... if the song Fuel had some of James' "yeah!!" moments edited out, that would actually be probably the ONLY song from the Load & Re-Load albums that I find remotely tolerable... LOL...

PelliX

Reaction score
I can't stand Neil Young, despite respecting him as an artist.

There are about 4-5 van Halen songs I like. The rest to me is relatively uninspiring - albeit technically impressive.

Status Quo used to be damn good band and wrote good material.

There are two types of people that use jazz chords; jazz musicians and music teachers. Oh, and show-offs.

The IC in the RAT doesn't matter, it's the diodes. Same for the Tubescreamer - there's no "mojo" in the IC.

Standby buttons are effectively just a guaranteed 100% mute and handy for cab swapping, they serve no other legitimate purpose.

Angus's solos, while impressive, share a key with the song, but hardly ever much else (there are exceptions).

Yingwie and Paul Gilbert are as musically inspiring to me as a typewriter. That said, Gilbert has changed a bit, and I saw him do Going To California with John Paul Jones - he gained his first respect point in my book right there.

Baked beans *are* for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.

It is *never* the wrong time of day for a coffee.

Last edited:

10kDA

Reaction score
Not sure if this one is really umpopular, but here goes anyway:

Of the 3 blues guitar Kings, Freddie was the most fluent and technically skilled, but Albert went from one end of the envelope to the other, from sweetness to raw. But BB was the King of the blues because you flat out believed every story he told, either playing or singing.

lespaul339

Reaction score
hmmm....

That's what I like about it. The fact that they said, "fuck it" and went in a completely different direction musically. I've always respected that about Metallica. They are never afraid to try something new despite the fact that they know they will get some backlash. You have to respect that. It takes balls to do what you want as an artist and not what people expect out of you.

BlueX

Reaction score
I never cared much for VH. I know what Eddy did for the guitar and totally changed everything and all respect for that, but VH's music never interested me.
+1
His playing, his tone, the way he developed technique and gear, definitely made him one of the really great. His music and his band(s) was never for me though.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
That's what I like about it. The fact that they said, "fuck it" and went in a completely different direction musically. I've always respected that about Metallica. They are never afraid to try something new despite the fact that they know they will get some backlash. You have to respect that. It takes balls to do what you want as an artist and not what people expect out of you.
they are free to try whatever musical style they want. that's totally fine. but just because they try something new doesn't necessarily mean its going to work, and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to like it.

lespaul339

Reaction score
they are free to try whatever musical style they want. that's totally fine. but just because they try something new doesn't necessarily mean its going to work, and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to like it.
Same. I don't like their St. Anger or the Lulu album they did with Lou Reed. But I do respect that they had the balls to do something different on those albums.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Same. I don't like their St. Anger or the Lulu album they did with Lou Reed. But I do respect that they had the balls to do something different on those albums.
that's another unpopular opinion that I have - I think their St. Anger album is awesome... I will never understand why Metallica fans hate that one.

and Lulu was technically not even a Metallica album anyway. it was a Lou Reed album. Lou wrote all the music & lyrics. the Metallica guys were pretty much just hired hands on that album.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I enjoy posting these on my social media accounts so that my friends and I can have in depth discussions about various topics that are either controversial or just doesn't go along with the general consensus...

an example... I know everyone loves Johnny Cash, as do I. his live at Folsom Prison and live at San Quentin albums are timeless and iconic... his late 60's era is truly a display of legendary baddass-ery... that being said, in my opinion, the cover songs that he recorded near the end of his life (Nine Inch Nail's Hurt, and Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, for example) I think are absolutely TERRIBLE. see? there you go, a massively unpopular opinion. one that is currently generating a lot of heat and backlash on my Facebook account... LoL

but nevertheless, lets keep it going... what are your unpopular opinions?
Totally agree! I always thought those covers were horrid.