Used Marshall JCM 900 DR 4100 (original 1990) vs Silver Jubilee 2550x brand new

• Thread starter eighthundred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eighthundred

Reaction score
Recently, I found an original 1990 Marshall JCM 900 DR 4100 (100w) in good condition and at a good price. I did all the research and everything and I was inclined to close the deal, but then something came up: a brand new Silver Jubilee 2555x.

The price asked for the Jubilee is almost the same as what the seller is asking for the 900.

I own a stellar 1985 Marshall JCM 800 2203, and I’ve played a few JCM 900 DRs along the way, but I’ve never played a Silver Jubilee.

What are your thoughts on this? Which one of these do you think is the most solid choice between these two heads?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Kuga

Reaction score
Both are great amps IMHO. The Silver Jubilee 2555X has a darker sound than a 2203 and DR. I would choose the 2555X because it's a new one but correct answer would be get both, lol.

knulp

Reaction score
Jubilee without even thinking about it

Where are you located?
It’s strange to me
Here (Europe) used 900 go for less than half than Jubilees,which is also cool and new

That 900 is also going to need new caps and maybe tubes?

knulp

Reaction score
Just checked

Cheapest 900 dr 50 watt head -430 euro

Cheapest 50 jubilee - 900 euro

And that’s for an used jubilee

eighthundred

Reaction score
Jubilee without even thinking about it

Where are you located?
It’s strange to me
Here (Europe) used 900 go for less than half than Jubilees,which is also cool and new

That 900 is also going to need new caps and maybe tubes?
I am in South America. The prices around here are nuts.

Also, the 900 is, sort of, the most popular amp. This one has new tubes… don’t know about the caps.

knulp

Reaction score
I am in South America. The prices around here are nuts.

Also, the 900 is, sort of, the most popular amp. This one has new tubes… don’t know about the caps.
Fact is every amp that’s 30 and more years is going to need service,maybe not immediately,because electrolytes caps need are at the end of their life at that point.

However I just consider the jubilee a more prestigious Marshall

Hell,many consider it the best ever made
I like the 900 but not many times you see it discussed as the best
In recent years it’s finally accepted that it’s not really that bad as consider before..
Actually it’s a good amp

Well i think you got the idea

I’d say unless you REALLY tried and loved the 900,jubilee all the way,

Expecially for the same money

knulp

Reaction score
Recently, I found an original 1990 Marshall JCM 900 DR 4100 (100w) in good condition and at a good price. I did all the research and everything and I was inclined to close the deal, but then something came up: a brand new Silver Jubilee 2550x.

The price asked for the Jubilee is almost the same as what the seller is asking for the 900.

I own a stellar 1985 Marshall JCM 800 2203, and I’ve played a few JCM 900 DRs along the way, but I’ve never played a Silver Jubilee.

What are your thoughts on this? Which one of these do you think is the most solid choice between these two heads?

Thanks a lot!
Can’t you try the Jubilee?

Also,as a owner of a 2203,how do you like the 900?

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have all three. Neither would replace the 2203 in my opinion. I like the Silver Jubilee sound a lot more than the 900. The 900 has a much better effects loop. The Silver Jubilee loop is pretty bad but not completely unusable. Not nearly as bad as the 2203X loop. The Silver Jubilee has a much more natural sounding preamp. The 900DR can be brittle but it works really well for certain styles. I don't consider it to be as versatile as the Jubilee though. The tone controls are much different on the Jubilee compared to other Marshalls. You really have to use your ears when dialing them in. The controls will end up being set very different compared to how you would normally try to set them.

eighthundred

Reaction score
Can’t you try the Jubilee?

Also,as a owner of a 2203,how do you like the 900?
Unfortunately, no… they are hard to find down here and this particular head lives in another state.

I never had much trouble playing 900s, to be honest. Some were just better than others, but I never played through a horrible head. They simply don’t sound as good as the 800s, IMO. I always thought they don’t deserve the hate.

knulp

Reaction score
I have all three. Neither would replace the 2203 in my opinion. I like the Silver Jubilee sound a lot more than the 900. The 900 has a much better effects loop. The Silver Jubilee loop is pretty bad but not completely unusable. Not nearly as bad as the 2203X loop. The Silver Jubilee has a much more natural sounding preamp. The 900DR can be brittle but it works really well for certain styles. I don't consider it to be as versatile as the Jubilee though. The tone controls are much different on the Jubilee compared to other Marshalls. You really have to use your ears when dialing them in. The controls will end up being set very different compared to how you would normally try to set them.
Are you talking about the reissue jubilee loop?
I never used it but I would if I get a jubilee..

What’s the buzz with it?

knulp

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no… they are hard to find down here and this particular head lives in another state.

I never had much trouble playing 900s, to be honest. Some were just better than others, but I never played through a horrible head. They simply don’t sound as good as the 800s, IMO. I always thought they don’t deserve the hate.
Well i think you should also consider you already have the 800..
If it’s for variety and versatility the 900 is good but you already said not as good as the 800

I had a 900 dr when I was a kid then sold it when I went to university..
Now I have a sl-x
Effectively the loop is magnificent on all 900

But I would really like for example to get again a dr and doing some common mod to the B channel,bypassing the preset scooped tonestack that’s there

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I think the 900 will have more overlap with an 800. The Jubes sound different and have a different EQ from any other Marshall. So if you are looking for something different, I say Jube.
The fx loops on mine are fine, very quiet. I have had no loop issues with a Jubilee either the original or the current.

eighthundred

Reaction score
Very interesting imputs, guys. Thanks!

Should I consider the fact of the 900 is an original 1990 amp as a laverage over the reissue Jubilee?

What do you guys think?

knulp

Reaction score
Very interesting imputs, guys. Thanks!

Should I consider the fact of the 900 is an original 1990 amp as a laverage over the reissue Jubilee?

What do you guys think?
Both well built

I would chose only for the tones
They are solid and nicely made,chassis mounted tubes and caps

Even if old the main caps on the 900 are chassis mounted and very easy to change..
My sl-x is old about the same but still original caps and no (serious) problems..

knulp

Reaction score
A consideration about variety..
All these amps sound more similar than different cabs for me..
That is..more difference between a g12t-75 and a g12-65 than between a jubilee and a 900 to my ears

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The 2555X has some cool features the originals and also the 900's don't have. The 2555X is easy, and safe, to bias. You don't even need to take the amp apart. You can run KT-88s, or EL34's ,or KT-66s, or 6550s.... and so forth.

They both give you more gain than a 2203, plus a switch on the fly clean channel.

The Jubilee's are just a great sounding amp- in my opinion, although it's been a long time since I played through a DR.