Using 1959 with a distortion pedal

• Thread starter boola
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
Here's how I can use my 1959 at home using a Blackstar HT dual to get the distortion.

One good thing about doing this is that you can stick a delay in after the distortion, not something you can normally do with a Superlead.

BTW I'm still using an attenuator in this clip. The amp is on 2 which is still way to loud for home use :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfnH1Dz6fN4]Blackstar HT Dual Demo using Marshall 100w - YouTube[/ame]

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
you should try this, max out the level on that distortion pedal, then adjust gain amount to taste.

boola

Reaction score
That's what I would normally do to push the amp into overdrive or if I was using the 2203, that would generally give a better tone but in this video I really wanted to demo the Blackstar.

Also, I wanted to keep the overall volume as low as possible and have the bypass being roughly the same volume as the distorion, especially as it was going into a delay pedal.

JMP2204ROCKER

Reaction score
The tone you got out of your 2203 with the overdrive pedal you used was monstrous... which pedal were you using and what were your settings on the amp/pedal for that clip? I'd like to hear what the 1959 sounds like with the same setup ...

boola

Reaction score
yeah man, it's a beast :)

Can't remember the exact amp settings but it would've been something like Presence 5, Bass 6, Mid 4, Treble 8. Master 2-3, Pre 10.

I was using an old Guv'nor pedal set for a slight bit of distortion and level boost too. The bass,mid,treb were all set at noon.

I can't do the same with the 1959, it would destroy my neighbours and probably pop out a few windows! I'm gunna to take it over to my friend's place soon though and we plan to crank it so I'll make sure I take a video!

JMP2204ROCKER

Reaction score
yeah man, it's a beast :)

Can't remember the exact amp settings but it would've been something like Presence 5, Bass 6, Mid 4, Treble 8. Master 2-3, Pre 10.

I was using an old Guv'nor pedal set for a slight bit of distortion and level boost too. The bass,mid,treb were all set at noon.

I can't do the same with the 1959, it would destroy my neighbours and probably pop out a few windows! I'm gunna to take it over to my friend's place soon though and we plan to crank it so I'll make sure I take a video!

Thanks for the vids anyway man... I'm getting my 1981 2204 JMP on Monday... I'm psyched... eventually I'll put a video up when I'm ready and proper... yeah I hear you about the 1959... you can kill squirrels and birds and even the occasional old lady walking past the house just from the shockwave when that badboy is even on 3 !!! Looking forward to any future vids... keep on rockin' n rollin' ! :headbanger:

Duppy

Reaction score
Hi Boola, nice demo. I love the thick, chunky, full tone you get. How much of that would you say was down to the guitar? I know you've got a nice old Tokai Strat too, can you achieve the same kind of tones through the single coils?

boola

Reaction score
For sure it wouldn't sound the same with a Strat. The V is very bassy in comparison to the strat.

I always thought that the JTM45 was designed with single coils in mind but as time went on, they made the amps brighter to be used with humbuckers.

With a pedal you can fatten up a single coil, a fuzz pedal works best for me because as you raise the volume on the guitar, the tone gets more bassy so you have bright cleans and fat distortion.

Duppy

Reaction score
I used think that when I had my 2204, that it had been designed with humbuckers in mind as that's what a lot of the classic players were using (this is not factual just my un educated mental noodlings) because it was so bright.

I got a JTM45 RI after the 2204 and thought it was a great amp, the ability of channel blending is what it made really usable for my single coil guitars.

But then when I think of all the single coil slingers (Hendrix, Mascis, Blackmore) that use Superleads and they're bright as hell. I think they combat it by cranking right up.

boola

Reaction score
Not sure about Blackmore and Mascis but the JTM45/100s that Hendrix used had the shared cathode (Superbass has that too) so is more like a JTM45 than a modern 1959.

As you say, when cranked up, Superleads aren't bright, infact they have loads of bass, you actually need to turn the bass down a lot if using a humbucker.

Single coils can definitely sound bright with a MV amp and they don't have enough output to get a high gain sound, a decent fuzz fixes both those things but for metal stuff like Metallica, only a humbucker is going to sound right imo

cogr

Reaction score
I get the similar sound witha Tonebone trimode into 73 Superbass using a PRS CU22, sounds awesome!!!

cogr

Reaction score
I get the similar sound with a Tonebone trimode into 73 Superbass using a PRS CU22, sounds awesome!!!