Using a delay for reverb

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've had this delay pedal for a few years now and I've played around with it, but not enough to understand the different settings. I don't really know what to do with it other than make repeat noises and it's just a hot mess to me so I've had no use for it. I have an effects loop for the first time now and I've read that a delay can be used to get a reverb effect and that a delay is better than a reverb pedal if you play higher gain stuff, which I do.

How would I set this to get some reverb?

DQf62cm.jpg

Geeze

Reaction score
I've always thought of reverb as a sonic liquid filling a room vs a delay with waves bouncing off hard surfaces. I prefer the delay to make a room sound bigger and while I like aggressive repeats if you turn down the repeat level and twiddle with the delay time you can find a 'soft' delay / reverb effect.

Russ

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of reverb as a sonic liquid filling a room vs a delay with waves bouncing off hard surfaces. I prefer the delay to make a room sound bigger and while I like aggressive repeats if you turn down the repeat level and twiddle with the delay time you can find a 'soft' delay / reverb effect.

Russ
Thanks, Russ. That worked nicely and I do indeed like it better than my reverb pedal. Only now I see I have another issue. This is the first time I've used the effects loop (SC20H) and any pedal in the loop on or not causes a hiss. I probably won't use the loop, problem solved. I've never had one to use anyway so I don't miss it. I even bought some nice cables to use for the loop...oh well.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've used the effects loop (SC20H) and any pedal in the loop on or not causes a hiss.
Do you get a hiss with just a cable from send to return?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Have you tried with new batteries in the pedals instead of the power supply?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's no junk power supply - probably not causing the noise.

Some of my pedals are noisy AF on one amp, and dead quiet on another amp.
They can be fine out front or intolerable in the loop.
Sometimes different power supplies work better than others.

My Ceriatone JTM45 loop is very picky about what pedals it likes.
Its better with the new buffered loop than the original passive loop.

I just move 'em around and try different configurations until I get combinations that work.
No idea why. :shrug:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
That's no junk power supply - probably not causing the noise.

Some of my pedals are noisy AF on one amp, and dead quiet on another amp.
They can be fine out front or intolerable in the loop.
Sometimes different power supplies work better than others.

My Ceriatone JTM45 loop is very picky about what pedals it likes.
Its better with the new buffered loop than the original passive loop.

I just move 'em around and try different configurations until I get combinations that work.
No idea why. :shrug:
That's actually comforting. :yesway:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This isn't working for me. It's ok, but not what I'm looking for. Does anybody make a good reverb pedal? I've tried several and didn't care for them for one reason or another. It's been so long now I don't remember what I tried before. I did a BYOC reverb that was better than the ones I tried, but it's not great.

I'm thinking about trying this one...

NumbSkull

Reaction score
This isn't working for me. It's ok, but not what I'm looking for. Does anybody make a good reverb pedal? I've tried several and didn't care for them for one reason or another. It's been so long now I don't remember what I tried before. I did a BYOC reverb that was better than the ones I tried, but it's not great.

I'm thinking about trying this one...

My fav reverb is the Demonfx reverb and delay workstation, it just sounds so sweet.
After that is my TC Electronic Plethora X5, it has lots of reverb pedals and you can combine them in many ways,
so if I want 3 reverbs and a delay and phaser I can try it and switch each of them in and out.
I also tried the Joyo Atmosphere, OK but not great.
And a few cheap ones that I didnt like.

From reviews I think these two are best but I havent got either.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
My fav reverb is the Demonfx reverb and delay workstation, it just sounds so sweet.
After that is my TC Electronic Plethora X5, it has lots of reverb pedals and you can combine them in many ways,
so if I want 3 reverbs and a delay and phaser I can try it and switch each of them in and out.
I also tried the Joyo Atmosphere, OK but not great.
And a few cheap ones that I didnt like.

From reviews I think these two are best but I havent got either.

The Demonfx reverb and delay workstation looks interesting and it's very affordable. :yesway:

The TC Electronic Plethora X5 and the links you posted, I'm sorry but I'm not paying those prices, I don't need it that bad. :lol: