V30 and Greenback mix

• Thread starter Alestir
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alestir

Reaction score
I would think (unless you run your amp absolutely flat-out all of the time) - that they would be fine.......

Could I run the combo's internal V Type with the Greenbacks in the cab (8 ohm wired in series) at the same time? That would give me a total load of 120 watts, correct?

Hmm

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these V30's are brand new. I probably have about 50 hours on them and will let someone else finish breaking them in :)

As suggested I'll be using 2 of the same speaker in this cab, so actually was thinking about 2 of the G12H Heritage. That's 40 watts of amp going into 60 watts of cab, though. Is that asking a little much of those speakers if goosing it up a bit on stage?

I did notice WGS has their Green Beret at 25 watts, but also a bigger brother named the Invader at 50 watts.

Anyone with experience playing those speakers?

Thanks
My 50w 2266 Vintage Modern combo has two G12H-30 55htz speakers in it. It says a lot that even if I'm not using the amp I will use it's speakers as a cab. IMHO they are the best speakers to go with a Marshall.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Could I run the combo's internal V Type with the Greenbacks in the cab (8 ohm wired in series) at the same time? That would give me a total load of 120 watts, correct?

Hmm
Load is in Ohms not watts. If you had two 8 ohm Greenbacks wired in series in your cab you would have a 16 ohm cab along with the 16 ohm V-type would be a total load of 8 ohms. Your power handling would be 120 watts. Unless you were playing extremely loud the Greenback 2x12 will handle the DSL40 on it's own without issue. If you put G12H-30 Greenbacks in even more so.

Alestir

Reaction score
Load is in Ohms not watts. If you had two 8 ohm Greenbacks wired in series in your cab you would have a 16 ohm cab along with the 16 ohm V-type would be a total load of 8 ohms. Your power handling would be 120 watts. Unless you were playing extremely loud the Greenback 2x12 will handle the DSL40 on it's own without issue. If you put G12H-30 Greenbacks in even more so.

Cool, thank you. I ordered 2 Greenies from Sweetwater. The rep. assured me of no power issues especially if using the internal combo speaker with the cab.

Actually curious how the V-Type is going to interact with the Greenbacks!?

Thanks again

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Power handling is always determined by the weakest link. Multiply the LOWEST speaker wattage rating by the number of speakers in the cabinet.

If you have two 25 watt Greenbacks and two 65 watt Creambacks in the same 4x12 cabinet, cabinet power handling is 100 watts, not 180. This is because once you exceed 25 watts to a Greenback, it won't last long.

But if you had four 65 watt Creambacks in the cabinet, it'd handle 260 watts.

Alestir

Reaction score
Power handling is always determined by the weakest link. Multiply the LOWEST speaker wattage rating by the number of speakers in the cabinet.

If you have two 25 watt Greenbacks and two 65 watt Creambacks in the same 4x12 cabinet, cabinet power handling is 100 watts, not 180. This is because once you exceed 25 watts to a Greenback, it won't last long.

But if you had four 65 watt Creambacks in the cabinet, it'd handle 260 watts.

With that equation I am looking at a 40 watts from the combo, and 75 watts from the speaker set? I plan to use the internal speaker with the cab!

Should be good to go?

FISH HEAD

Reaction score
I always wondered about if mixing 2 different speakers doesn’t ADD frequencies but due to phase cancellation DELETES frequencies because the speakers are so close to each other. I wish someone would do an actual scientific study to end all of this guessing we are doing. Sometimes MORE isn’t better.

JBA

Reaction score
I always wondered about if mixing 2 different speakers doesn’t ADD frequencies but due to phase cancellation DELETES frequencies because the speakers are so close to each other. I wish someone would do an actual scientific study to end all of this guessing we are doing. Sometimes MORE isn’t better.
Brother, your wish was answered before you were even born. You can now do a little bit of research and then ask for a little help.
:cheers:

Karl Brake

Reaction score
It depends on the build of the cab. I use a Friedman 4x12 with GBs on the top and v30s on the bottom. The speaker panel is tilted slightly back. It sounds great, at any distance. It's a beautifully built birch cab, 16 ohm. I like it with all my heads, but especially my JVM Satriani. Mellow projection via the combo. Nice fullness. I also did an Engl 2x12 with the same set up...worked well too, but that sucker was almost as heavy as a 4x12 lol. I saw an acoustical analysis that demonstrated that the two speakers can fill in each other's weak points on the wave...could be. It's just a sweet cab.

AlboK

Reaction score
GB gets drowned out...
No they don't. I emailed Celestion about combinging V30's with Greenbacks & they highly suggesed it. I've done it taking out 1 V30 from my Marshall 2x12. It's sounds amazing. It's only 2db less the greenback. You can still hear it. I think Dr Decible knows what he's talkiing about.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
No they don't. I emailed Celestion about combinging V30's with Greenbacks & they highly suggesed it. I've done it taking out 1 V30 from my Marshall 2x12. It's sounds amazing. It's only 2db less the greenback. You can still hear it. I think Dr Decible knows what he's talkiing about.
a few years back, I bought a 4x12 cab, that was 2 GB & 2 V30.

I couldn't hear the GB's at all. I didn't think they were even working, putting my ear right into the GB voice coil.

So much so, I sold the GB's, because they were worthless in the cab.

Lespaul48

Reaction score
You said it sounds great...why mess with it? If you like what you hear just keep rocking out?

proxy

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and get those speakers out and get yourself Celestion G12-35XC's and forget this story about mixing speakers for good.
g1235xc_back__18253.1476372826.450.450.jpg

Alestir

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and get those speakers out and get yourself Celestion G12-35XC's and forget this story about mixing speakers for good.
View attachment 92229

The V30's are out of the cab, and the Greenbacks are in. Its like night and day! I have so much more control of the EQ now. The V30's dominated the whole rig!

As explained, I am using the internal V-Type with the cab. I think the V-Type is a bit more sterile tonally. Its hard to tell in the mix, but I am going to grab another Greenback for the internal speaker.

Thanks everyone :)

abkeller1

Reaction score
The greenback / v30 cab is convenient for recording. I’ve never found a combination of any speakers that were better than a pair of the same. Where you stand, which one is on the top or which side all become shitty at some point when you move around or for you vs someone else at a different angle. 2x12’s and 4x12’s already have enough phase (polar response issues). Two different speakers just causes more of a mess. I really don’t understand why folks try this for anything other than recording.:facepalm:
Why, cause it sounds really good. I have a Marshall 2536 Jubile cabinet with 2 Vintage 30's. I took one out replace with Greenback. I love it. Not everyone can afford muliple cabinets with different speakers in them, even Dr Decibil recommends it. That's the guy from Celestion. And if you ever want to mic the amp, you can chose which speaker to mic to get a different tone. It really works.

Last edited:

JBA

Reaction score
Why, cause it sounds really good. I have a Marshall 2536 Jubile cabinet with 2 Vintage 30's. I took one out replace with Greenback. I love it. Not everyone can afford muliple cabinets with different speakers in them, even Dr Decibil recommends it. That's the guy from Celestion. And if you ever want to mic the amp, you can chose which speaker to mic to get a different tone. It really works.
As long as your happy with it that’s all that matters.