VH tribute w/Satch?

• Thread starter Lefty68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
YJM does EVH (not fulltime) and Pinnick does DLR!
good luck with that though.

I remember talking w/ Doug (Dug) right after that. He said it was really a trip trying to do DLR, & how unique & difficult it was...

He said that he gained a lot of respect for him doing that.

People think of the DLR clown show, but, he had it going on back then. I still think that Templeman kept him in line (& in time), since, back then, they didn't have digital to slide things around. There wasn't sample & fix, either, like the '80s brought...

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
ok te CC was a joke. Vin caught it lol.
i just dont think satch is a good choice. i honestly think its an attemp to revive
a dwindling guitar player honestly. ive never really thought satch played with much feeling
to be honest. can he play EVH? im sure he can but i dont see him giving it much justice
to be honest. he and EVH werent in the same style in my book. to me its like getting YJM to
replace Keith. could he play the stuff? sure, but not with the same feeling. or MAB to fill
Eric Johnson spot.
if they wanna revive a guitar player thats capable and could fit the bill, go find Vito.
hell, hire Pete Thorn for godsake. i would almost rather George Lynch over satch but
he would just end up crying about that too a few yrs down the road. so many more out there
to fit the bill over satch. putting satch in there is like trying to drive a square plug up a round bulls ass.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
ok te CC was a joke. Vin caught it lol.
i just dont think satch is a good choice. i honestly think its an attemp to revive
a dwindling guitar player honestly. ive never really thought satch played with much feeling
to be honest. can he play EVH? im sure he can but i dont see him giving it much justice
to be honest. he and EVH werent in the same style in my book. to me its like getting YJM to
replace Keith. could he play the stuff? sure, but not with the same feeling. or MAB to fill
Eric Johnson spot.
if they wanna revive a guitar player thats capable and could fit the bill, go find Vito.
hell, hire Pete Thorn for godsake. i would almost rather George Lynch over satch but
he would just end up crying about that too a few yrs down the road. so many more out there
to fit the bill over satch. putting satch in there is like trying to drive a square plug up a round bulls ass.
I was going to suggest Pete Thorn as well.
He is already down the rabbit hole on the tone. That is at least 1/4 the battle.

metromutt

Reaction score
Just read this on one of the VH sites...

Wolfgang statement, “Well when the world is breaking down my door for a week talking about some dumbass reunion that isn’t happening and insulting me in the process I felt the need to clear things up. Just let me suck with my own band and fuck off.”

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
any player who steps into this project is gonna get killed by the press/fans, Satch is already catchin shit for discussing it. Eddie is gone, let him RIP and stop this project. Peeps are gonna miss Eddie even more if this goes on.

Also why would Satch speak with Newstead?? Satch played with Michael Anthony in Chicken foot, odd they wouldn't ask Michael?

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Why no mention of Wolfgang? His name hasn't even come up, not about playing, not even his opinion. Are those actually Dave's real comments? Please tell me no - total incoherent babbling. Pink? Really? Looks made up. Newsted? WTF?I There are just a lot of things wrong with this. I'd like to see it done, but the only ones I can see carrying it off are Alex and Joe, and the only two bass players that would be appropriate or capable are not even mentioned, then you'd have to deal with the "Echannel" aspect if both Sammy and Dave were there - yuck - which would kind of be needed. I thought Gary was great, could do both eras, but the VH fans piled on him horribly, never seen anything like it. I watched a lot of Dave's last stage footage - the Captain Crunch outfits weren't even the worst part. He tried valiantly to sing the stuff but no cigar (or maybe too many cigars?). And his stage banter was......concerning. What should be a beautiful thing just looks impossible to me.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Why no mention of Wolfgang? His name hasn't even come up, not about playing, not even his opinion. Are those actually Dave's real comments? Please tell me no - total incoherent babbling. Pink? Really? Looks made up. Newsted? WTF?I There are just a lot of things wrong with this. I'd like to see it done, but the only ones I can see carrying it off are Alex and Joe, and the only two bass players that would be appropriate or capable are not even mentioned, then you'd have to deal with the "Echannel" aspect if both Sammy and Dave were there - yuck - which would kind of be needed. I thought Gary was great, could do both eras, but the VH fans piled on him horribly, never seen anything like it. I watched a lot of Dave's last stage footage - the Captain Crunch outfits weren't even the worst part. He tried valiantly to sing the stuff but no cigar (or maybe too many cigars?). And his stage banter was......concerning. What should be a beautiful thing just looks impossible to me.
I assure you, those are Dave's comments. Dave has always been a clown and provocative. He said Pink to get a rise out of some, and it worked.

I agree about Dave's singing voice. I could listen to him talk for a couple of hours and be entertained, but I have no interest in hearing him struggle live vocally. That said, Sammy's voice ain't what it used to be, but I think him & Dave should both be involved. Probably wouldn't work for a tour, but for a big event in LA I think it would be great for fans.

I'm sure Wolf will have some input as well, but would probably defer to his Uncle Alex.

Oh, and I agree Newsted was an odd choice. And what a blabbermouth! Michael Anthony should be involved too.

I saw them tour with all three singers, and Gary was good live. Too bad the one album he did was so unusual by =\//-/= standards.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
from what I've gathered (& may be wrong)...

is, that, all the difficulty between EVH & other members, like DLR, MA, SH, etc., were actually between AVH & said others, & EVH deferred to AVH on almost all things...

So, AVH & MA? probably not a possibility in the world, unless someone really makes amends. Probably same w/ SH... But, they blamed EVH for going along w/ it...

Maybe there's some of the same bad juju w/ WGVH & AVH... :shrug: or... maybe he just wants to see him succeed w/ Mammoth. Maybe he would not have considered him in VH, except he was EVH's son & EVH was excited about the prospect, beyond getting anyone else involved?

There's a lot that could be there. Lot's of reasons, valid or not. Maybe valid to the players involved, but not to us...

Family is a funny thing. Mixing family & business can be good, or bad.

Satch, would have to revisit his Satch Boogie type of writing to do VH style. That's the closest to that style that he's got, & it seems he went away from that.

I'd dig that type of stuff, doing a bunch of jammin' instrumentals, & perform doing a few VH tunes in the set.

Whatever, I just wish them all the best, whatever they do, or don't do...