VH tribute w/Satch?

• Thread starter Lefty68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I'd rather pay to see Dweezil w VH than Satch, nothing against Satch, I just think Dweezil's got VH in his soul somewhat.

J.S. is a fantastic awe inspiring player, but imo wouldn't be a great fit.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
should be a walk on event. different guys different songs. Ed was friends with many in the business
and im damn sure folks would be grateful to be involved. i think it would go over big. have Eds frank on stage or hovering over Alex's kit some how. light beaming it the whole show. a lot of players owe Ed big time.
do it sorta like Clapton did his crossroads events. a real damn tribute.
A walk on event would be fine for a one or two night event, but not a tour like they were discussing.

A tour is a big commitment.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Even Ringo Star's All Star Band, which rotates players regularly, does one or two tours with the same players before new ones come in.

A walk on tour wouldn't be properly rehearsed for a tribute befitting the GOAT, IMHO.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
A walk on event would be fine for a one or two night event, but not a tour like they were discussing.

A tour is a big commitment.
yeah i see that but shit some consider a 5 date thing a "tour" these days.
this way there is no real big commitment from very many people and it gets
to involve more people. just would seem more about Ed to me rather than
a set band on tour. the band thing to me seems more about VH and not Ed.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i see that but shit some consider a 5 date thing a "tour" these days.
this way there is no real big commitment from very many people and it gets
to involve more people. just would seem more about Ed to me rather than
a set band on tour. the band thing to me seems more about VH and not Ed.
Your view is contrary to mine Rick, but definitely worth consideration. I'm not 100% sold on my own view. I guess maybe we'll see? Hopefully we get to see at least something that carries the torch.

Update: maybe we should all just make this a meeting about what we're going to do with Alex VH, and then let him know what we've decided. :D

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they should do it. For us to never hear Alex play again would be sad because he's such a great drummer and performer, and to hear Joe do his take on Ed would be awesome. I also think Newstead's perspective - if it was accurately reported - is a bit weird, because no one's asking anyone to "top" anything, but only 'tribute', right? So for bass, personally, I'd rather see Alex make amends with Michael Anthony for the gig (how can that not be possible?). As far as Dave goes... he's retired now, but never say never. Dave's voice isn't great obviously, but I can't see anything "Van Halen" ever happening without him.

Interested in what you's all think.
I questioned the Newstead report, and I was correct. Probably just another L.A. name dropper making up a story:

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I'd like to see:
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Satchel and/or Pete Thorn on guitar
Michael Starr (Ralph Michael Saenz) Vocals (singer from Steel Panther)