• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

::VIDEO:: Friedman Shootout (Smallbox 20 vs 50 vs DS Mini)

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey guys.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just made this fast record... Played some riffs.
Used the amps connected to my isobox with Celestion Creamback75 miced by SM57.
Some reverb from Reaper.

Dirty Shirley Mini 20W
Smallbox 20W
Smallbox 50W

All EQs at 12 o'clock. Gain at 3 o'clock.
DSM is the only that do NOT have the Presence knob...
DSM toggle switch was in up position.

Buzzard

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of a smallbox 20w? New?

Del Rei

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of a smallbox 20w? New?
Hey. SB20 is a custom amp I ordered directly from Dave. As he calls: Baby Smallbox.
But not handwired as big Smallbox. He started with a clean Runt20 PBC and created a different amp... It's not a modded Runt. It's a Smallbox. And came with the XLR out, that I honestly didn't like and don't use.
I would say there is a small difference in SB50 and SB20, mainly when you roll down the guitar volume. SB50 makes it a bit cleaner than SB20.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
wonder if that might come from over processing?
videos of guitars and amps get to confusing these days. the actual product
gets lost in the whole mix. it gets ran through so much stuff the real tone
gets lost.
this is why you watch videos of a certain amp and get your hopes up and
run right out and grab one and get it home to only find you cant even come close
to the tones you heard on any of the videos you had been watching.
same holds true in reverse.
ive seen just butchered videos tone wise of really kick ass amps base my opinion only
a few months or yrs later get in front of said amp to find out they were a hot piece of gear.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Just me or did they all sound the same?
None stood out.

Hey, guys.:)
Actually 2 of them (Smallbox20 and Smallbox50) are the same amp, in different wattage. So, it's normal to sound very close.
In fact the Dirty Shirley Mini is the one that could have some (little?) difference.

Maybe if you turn up the volume of your speakers/headphones, the difference could get more evident.... But Maybe.:(
But, for sure, in real life you can hear the difference.

wonder if that might come from over processing?
videos of guitars and amps get to confusing these days. the actual product
gets lost in the whole mix. it gets ran through so much stuff the real tone
gets lost.
this is why you watch videos of a certain amp and get your hopes up and
run right out and grab one and get it home to only find you cant even come close
to the tones you heard on any of the videos you had been watching.
same holds true in reverse.
ive seen just butchered videos tone wise of really kick ass amps base my opinion only
a few months or yrs later get in front of said amp to find out they were a hot piece of gear.

Agree with you, man.
The chain signal and processing will influence the tone, for sure.
Probably, 0% of the tones you listen in Youtube will be the tone you listen to the real world amp, through it's speakers.

There are many variables in the recording process. Microphone placement (huge influence), guitar/pickup type, sound interface, DAW processing, Youtube processing, speakers/headphones where you watch the final video ...

Youtube should never be the definitive way to choose equipment, although it can give you some notions of them. I see some YouTube channels where they review great equipment, but the sound capture (probably mic placement) ends up killing the video.

dptone5

Reaction score
I can hear the additional headroom in the 50 Watt. Very small difference, but it is also a tad bit smoother too.

Latest posts