• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

(VIDEO) Marshall vs Friedman (JCM800 SC20H vs Dirty Shirley Mini)

Del Rei

Reaction score
@SuperFleeky Hey, man. In what volumes do you usually play? I noticed that when I turn up the Master, that annoying low end tend to go away. And also when I used the V30 there was more balanced tone with my DSM. Love the amp, but would be nice to have a presence knob.

@Carl M Wish I could try the SV....

@Rooster-p I'd love to try this one too, man.

AlboK

Reaction score
Just goes to show, those at this web site listen with their preferences not their ears, those two amps sound the same...almost as if the op used the same IR for the demo....and oddly enough you guys are choosing winners,,,,lmfao. Never ask for an unbiased opinion on the Marshall site, you will get brand fanboys(The Mesa Boogie Grailtone site is even worse, so ehhhh).
Marshall are generally brighter in the upper mids & highs than the Friedmans and cut through mix better. However that SC20 sounds like garbadge. I've tried two of them at G.C and sound too bright and not much gain going on at all. They sound good with a pedal but without a pedal it sucks pretty badly. And doesn't sound like my 1982 2204. I have a Silver Mini Jubilee which has a tone more gain and low end thump. It's a little darker though.

AlboK

Reaction score
I own and play the SC20 (both the head/cab and combo), and I LOVE it. I'm in the same ballpark as far as how I set it, but I did have a Dirty Shirley and could never get it as bright as I hear in your recordings. Did you use any external EQ?

At any rate, you've got them both sounding superb; well done!
You have the SC20c and love it? Really with that horrilbe 10" speaker? Have you ever play an original JCM 800? That combo sounds nothing like my original 2204 comb. Not ever close.

AlboK

Reaction score
I preferred the Marshall in the band context demos, but alone it was less obvious which one to prefer. Perhaps that's why band players tend to prefer Marshalls while home players may prefer Friedman..?

I have a SV20H which I am really impressed by, even though I have been playing 70's Super Leads for decades...
SV20 is the best of the Studio series. But no M.V is a no go here.

juniorhifikit

Reaction score
Hi, there! :)

Just recorded a fast clip comparing these 2 20W amps...

Important note: Couldn't use same EQ. These amps sounds VERY different when using same EQ. Marshall is much more bright. So, I tried to make both amps sound the same EQ, using my "preferred" tone as a reference.

Hope it's useful for someone... \o/

What a great demo! I think I'm in the minority that liked the Friedman better. It had more of that low end thunk that my 100 Watt Super Bass has.

Rooster-p

Reaction score
If you ever have to have one repaired or even talk to customer service then tell me which is better. There is no better customer service than Friedman and that is well worth the extra bucks. Not even in the same ballpark but nothing personal to you Marshall fans out there, it's like apple's and orange's.

ken361

Reaction score
You have the SC20c and love it? Really with that horrilbe 10" speaker? Have you ever play an original JCM 800? That combo sounds nothing like my original 2204 comb. Not ever close.
Love my combo also I can max the master and still stays tight! I owned probably 30 amps is 13 years lol and a couple half stacks. Amps will sound different from one place to another!

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
On its own...Friedman is better, warmer. And the Marshall sounds exactly like an 800. In all its annoying bright honking spongy goodness.

But in the mix...the Marshall slayed. And the Friedman...well it could have been a Peavey or a solid state amp at that point. Not bad on rhythm but didn't wasn't distinct on lead.

I never thought I'd come around to that POV since I prefer a warm tone myself. But everything changes when there's two distinct guitars competing for voicing.

What?

Reaction score
Universal Audio is actually addressing this problem in their "OX" and are using a hybrid technology which is partly IR and partly modeling to emulate the speakers different behavior at different levels.

I have never tried one, so I don't know how good they are.

I have experienced something like this in the past from an independent auido plugin developer. The plugin had potential but it still needed alot of work to get it right. And apparently it was more work than he wanted to get involved with for finishing it. I haven't used an OX, but I would think it would need some pretty complex dsp to even halfway pull it off.

What?

Reaction score
No it's not. The Mini Friedman is $1499 & Marshall is $1299.

I guess I did a driveby reading and listening in this thread. I didn't realize the Friedman amp was a mini.