Vintage 30...

• Thread starter JeffMcLeod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I thought the V30 was rated at 30 Watts. They're now saying 60W. Did they redesign it, or am I missing something? Or was I just flat out wrong? lol

https://celestion.com/product/1/vintage_30/
Flat out wrong (no offense!), they've always been rated at 60 watts. I'm not sure what the "30" is supposed to mean, actually.
If you want to be even more confused, the Marshall-labelled version is rated at 70 watts!

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Flat out wrong (no offense!), they've always been rated at 60 watts. I'm not sure what the "30" is supposed to mean, actually.
If you want to be even more confused, the Marshall-labelled version is rated at 70 watts!

No offense taken. In fact, I clobbered myself over the head, so feel free to reign additional blows, lol.

Man, for some reason, I had it in my (empty) head that the V30 was 30 watts. I'm trying to decide which speakers to pair my G12T-75's with in my 2x12 cabs. I like the V30's, but I was thinking that they would knock the capacity down to 60W total, which obviously you don't want.

Maybe I was thinking of the Greenback, but I believe those are 25W. Oh well, whatever.

So...Creamback, or V30 with the G12T-75?

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Actually, I would go G12-65 Heritage. It's like the opposite tone curve of the 75, so they each fill out what the other is lacking, and it's the same 97db sensitivity so they'll be equal in volume. I like V30s, but they're 100db and tend to overpower whatever you pair with them.

Creamback might be good too but honestly I have no direct experience with them.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Actually, I would go G12-65 Heritage. It's like the opposite tone curve of the 75, so they each fill out what the other is lacking, and it's the same 97db sensitivity so they'll be equal in volume. I like V30s, but they're 100db and tend to overpower whatever you pair with them.

Creamback might be good too but honestly I have no direct experience with them.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for; that contrast. I need to look through the speaker frequency curves and learn exactly what they mean. I'm a civil engineer by trade, so I understand the graphs/curves/etc., I just need to find the time to sit down and study them, then I'll know exactly what I'm looking at. And I'll start with your statement above; I'll look at the 65 Heritage. :) On the other hand, maybe I'm over-thinking it too much...maybe I should just plug in and rock out, lol.

Yeah, I know the V30 is a little louder than the G12T. From what I've read/heard, the Creambacks are better suited for combos, or even 1x12's. Of course, that's all based on peoples' personal opinions. I love macaroni & cheese, you might hate it. Who's right and who's wrong? lol

P.S. - If you really want to be confused, here in the U.S. we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway. :p

Last edited:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
LOL, I'm not a Brit, I'm from California dude!

In a nutshell, the 75 has a bright top end, somewhat scooped mids, and heavy bottom end. The 65 has a sweeter, rolled off high end, warm mids, and a tight, percussive bottom.

But yeah, you can drive yourself crazy with speakers. I swap 'em in & out of my combos occasionally just to mix things up. I have a few different Celestions piling up in the garage. My wife thinks I'm nuts - she's probably right...

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
LOL, I'm not a Brit, I'm from California dude!

In a nutshell, the 75 has a bright top end, somewhat scooped mids, and heavy bottom end. The 65 has a sweeter, rolled off high end, warm mids, and a tight, percussive bottom.

But yeah, you can drive yourself crazy with speakers. I swap 'em in & out of my combos occasionally just to mix things up. I have a few different Celestions piling up in the garage. My wife thinks I'm nuts - she's probably right...

lol yeah, believe me I thought of that as I was trying to figure out how to word the joke.

"...a bright top end, somewhat scooped mids, and heavy bottom end. The 65 has a sweeter, rolled off high end, warm mids, and a tight, percussive bottom."

Ah, well that certainly clears it up then, doesn't it? I mean, your heavy bottom, might be my warm top, lmao. :p Ok, time for ni-nite, lol.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not just about frequency response and power handling. You also have to consider sensitivity. A V30 puts out 100 dB at 1 watt of power whereas the G12T-75 puts out 97 dB at 1 watt of power.

Check out the Celestion website to compare the speakers before buying.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
The Vintage speaker was mainly modeled after the vintage Celestion G12H (last version 30 watt) speakers therego the Celestion depiction V30.
However both were intended to try and duplicate the sound of vintage AlNiCo speakers.

There are what, thirty versions now of the "Vintage" speaker?

The next version will be the VV. A new version of the last vintage version of the original vintages.

Last edited:

johan.b

Reaction score
The only thing vintage about "Vintage 30" is the name.
as mickeydg5 said, they started out trying to copy/recreate an old 30 watt celestion. That's where the name came from

they started with the vintage cone but used a modern magnet. The modern magnet meant they had to use a modern coil and material, they also went with a modern style basket to make cost reasonable. Now the old thin paper cone needed to be stronger and updated to cope with the power which by now had increased to around 70watts...so what started as an attempt to recreate an old speaker at lower cost ended up being a modern speaker with some resemblance to what they set out to do, but is essentially a modern speaker with a name suggesting otherwise.

the first production amp to use the speaker was the "Studio15", model number 4001

I was told this by one of the people involved in the development when I was working as a tech for the Scandinavian Marshall distributor in early 90's..his name has long since escaped me though. .

it seems to be a speaker you either love or hate. ..when it came out, we joked about how it made your tube amp sound like solid state..that tells you where I stand. .12 inches of ear fatigue. ..
j

soundboy57

Reaction score
as mickeydg5 said, they started out trying to copy/recreate an old 30 watt celestion. That's where the name came from

they started with the vintage cone but used a modern magnet. The modern magnet meant they had to use a modern coil and material, they also went with a modern style basket to make cost reasonable. Now the old thin paper cone needed to be stronger and updated to cope with the power which by now had increased to around 70watts...so what started as an attempt to recreate an old speaker at lower cost ended up being a modern speaker with some resemblance to what they set out to do, but is essentially a modern speaker with a name suggesting otherwise.

the first production amp to use the speaker was the "Studio15", model number 4001

I was told this by one of the people involved in the development when I was working as a tech for the Scandinavian Marshall distributor in early 90's..his name has long since escaped me though. .

it seems to be a speaker you either love or hate. ..when it came out, we joked about how it made your tube amp sound like solid state..that tells you where I stand. .12 inches of ear fatigue. ..
j

Indeed and I concur. The only time I have liked a V30 is when mixed with something else....like a G12H.
With so many other options, like the new creambacks in several forms, a V30 seems outdated.
I think there should be a Vintage 30 sticky, so we don't need to discuss/explain the several different versions/power rating, and argue on what to mix with it to make it sound decent every week.
My two cents

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score

j

So then my initial supposition was correct? The original was/is 30 watts, and the bogus imposter being hocked on us today is the 60W version.
:woot:

79 2203

Reaction score
When i blew 2 of the Blackback 55hz H30's in my 77 slant I replaced them with broken in Chinese V30's and even though the quad was a tad sweeter in it's vintage midrange when it was all Blackback, it's still a great sounding hard rockin cab. Maybe not an upgrade but definitely not a step backwards in tone. The V30's introduced a great chewy pick attack and chirp.

BUT, those V30's were owned by a friend who had them in a open backed Blackstar 2x12 and we both hated the tone.....dark, middy and loose.

And today I got Rockerverb 50 mkii Halfstack and even though those V30's are near new they sound really good and will only get better.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I cant use the V30 by itself, I find myself nauseaus after playing them for half hour.. I stick to my trusty Greenies..

soundboy57

Reaction score
So then my initial supposition was correct? The original was/is 30 watts, and the bogus imposter being hocked on us today is the 60W version.
:woot:
Nope. The rating was always 60 watts....70 watts for the Marshall labeled version.