Vintage Sounding New Marshall Amp

• Thread starter HNS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HNS

Reaction score
Cheers everyone

I always wanted to buy a Marshall Amp, never really got around to it, because I really never needed more than my Deluxe Reverb (22watts). Ever since 1975 I've always had either SS amps or Fender tube amps. Now I really hope to get a different amp.
I was looking at the:

Marshall 1987
Bluesbreaker '62
JTM 45
DSL 15
1958x, 197x

Being in my 50's my needs are basically for home playing, old school music 60's-70's. I may not need a lot of power, but what the heck, I can always use an attenuator.

I would be grateful if you folks could chime in and help me with your experiences. I have a strat and an LP.

Cheers
HNS

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
1987x or JTM 45. These are 2 of my favorite amps for 60's and 70's rock. The fact that you mentioned an attenuator is good, because you will need one for home use with either of these amps (IMO). Overdrive is easier to achieve on the 1987x without pedals, but after changing the bright cap on my JTM, I also get good levels of overdrive without pedals.

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Cheers everyone

I always wanted to buy a Marshall Amp, never really got around to it, because I really never needed more than my Deluxe Reverb (22watts). Ever since 1975 I've always had either SS amps or Fender tube amps. Now I really hope to get a different amp.
I was looking at the:

Marshall 1987
Bluesbreaker '62
JTM 45
DSL 15
1958x, 197x

Being in my 50's my needs are basically for home playing, old school music 60's-70's. I may not need a lot of power, but what the heck, I can always use an attenuator.

I would be grateful if you folks could chime in and help me with your experiences. I have a strat and an LP.

Cheers
HNS

If you don't need a lot of power I recommend you stay clear on the NMV amps like 1959 SLP. Same goes with other amps on your list. I had a JTM, 62 BLUESBREAKER and a 1974X. You will need to use a pedal and or drive amp hard to get a dirty tone. Don't get me wrong, nice amps but you will find yourself driving the volume up. On your list the DSL15 is a good affordable option where you can get a lot of interesting tones at a reasonable volume. Another good option is DSL40C. The best options, a little pricier and not on your list is to look at the mini job combo. That's a nice bit of kit. Out of the box idea may be a JVM combo. They sound great at room volume and have a wide pallet of tones and features. It's a lot of amp, but again easy to get killer tones at home jamming volumes. Won't need an attenuator. If you are after a vintage vibe and don't need a lot of power , the 1W anniversary amps are cool....the JTM and JMP might be down you alley. Lots of YOUTUBE videos on all of the above.

Last edited:

HNS

Reaction score
Thank you all marshallmellowed, Deep Purple fan, DP Tone5, slag and soundboy1957 for your recommendations.

The 1987x and the JTM 45 are great vintage type amps, but what attenuator would be a good choice (TDH, Riviera?)? I even thought of going with a Mesa Mark V:25 or 35, they come with a built-in attenuator.

I wished the 1987x had a MV. The mod seems quite elaborate.

DP fan: What's a mini job combo BTW?

An FX loop could be useful at times.

The JMP 50 is a great amp, I just have to find one in good shape where I live.

The JCM 800 has both the MV and the FX loop, gotta give it a try

JohnH

Reaction score
My recent answer to a similar question was a Vintage Modern 2266c combo. Its discontinued a few years ago but available for very good prices used, if you can find one. It has all the tones you need with a very good master volume, based around a vintage circuit with modern features and added switcheable gain.

Or if you have the $, maybe one of the current Astoria's?

HNS

Reaction score
Thanks JohnH... they both look quite interesting. Never seen an Astoria 2, but it looks likes it's really worth it

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
As JohnH recommended the Vintage Modern would certainly tick all your boxes and a used one (2266c) won't break the bank. Like the JTM45 and 1962, it's a KT66 powered amp. The Astoria is a really good amp too, but not to be confused with cheap....although there are some seriously good offers to be had from some of the major music stores here in the U.K.

HNS

Reaction score
Georgiatec

I'm currently in Europe ... so that's why I'll have to find a good Vintage Modern 2266c combo that's also 240V . It's not that easy I guess. But I'll shop around.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
HNS...imho you're really going over the top with those amp suggestions with the exception of the DSL15, based on your circumstances.
Obviously money is not an issue.
I am not familiar with the DSL 15. Scan this forum and you will get the complete low down.
I own the DSL40C and it will totally satisfy your requirements.
If you wish to raise the ante then check out the Mini Jubilee. That is what DP was suggesting.
Get the combo or the head & cab.
My :2c:
BP

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Vintage Modern :yesway:

You might look into a YJM100 as well if you fancy keeping the volume at reasonable levels whilst still playing through a NMV amp.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
I am in the same boat and someone recommended to me The Marshall 2061x, handwired 20 watt pure marshally goodness tube amp. May need that attenuator too get that massive crunch if volume is an issue. 20 watts is still pretty loud, but they are amazing and had for decent money used. Good luck

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
HNS,
Try out a marshall code 25.
Its perfect for home use.
Its like getting a bunch of different classic marshall amps, in one box!
I have one, and I believe you would enjoy it as well!

Geeze

Reaction score
get yourself an old jmp 50 master volume amp.

Any of the MV amps - JMP 2204, JCM2204 will serve you well, don't overlook the JCM900 series or the Jubilee reissue - These have an FX loop. All of these give very good low volume grind and with a boost / OD for over the top goodness. In my experience small amps are still too loud for home playing. I'd rather have more power than I need than not enough. Remember that Greenbacks are an essential part of the 60s / 70s sound.

Best is to play all you can get your hands on and pick the one you like.

Russ

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Thank you all marshallmellowed, Deep Purple fan, DP Tone5, slag and soundboy1957 for your recommendations.

The 1987x and the JTM 45 are great vintage type amps, but what attenuator would be a good choice (TDH, Riviera?)? I even thought of going with a Mesa Mark V:25 or 35, they come with a built-in attenuator.

I wished the 1987x had a MV. The mod seems quite elaborate.
I am currently using either a Marshall Power Brake or Weber Mass 200 with my non MV amps. Both do a good job, but I've been using the PB a lot lately. Don't bother adding a master volume to a non MV amp, you'd just be defeating the purpose of having that type of amp. You'd be better off just buying one of many MV amps. Lots of choices out there.

tmingle

Reaction score
DSL40C over the 15C for sure. It has a lot more features and has an excellent tone at low volume. I run an MXR 10 band eq in the loop for added versatility. I swapped the speaker for an Egnater Elite 80.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Georgiatec

I'm currently in Europe ... so that's why I'll have to find a good Vintage Modern 2266c combo that's also 240V . It's not that easy I guess. But I'll shop around.

If you plan on a visit to the Marshall factory while you are in Europe you could check this out....it's located a few minutes drive from the factory, so should be well serviced too. If you are going to be in the UK keep your eyes on EBay they come up all the time for around £300, which, I'm sure the seller will accept for this one. :thumbs:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-...750339?hash=item3d3e2707c3:g:xBYAAOSw~XpZQA4N

Latest posts