Weird fretting problem on my LP Traditional

• Thread starter Azaril000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azaril000

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently discovered a problem I think i had a while but overlooked. Every time I fret from the 7th to the 8th fret on my high E string and hooked up to my JCM800 it seems to vibrate/weird tremolo sound through the amp which is quite distinct. I read it might be a wolf tone. I tried the same notes on different strings but no vibration ( and I don't mean literal vibrations which I noticed but more "sound" vibrations through the amp). It seems to be only on that high e string and sliding or hammering on from the 7th to 8th fret (each fret played alone without slides or hammer on sounds clear). However I did notice a slight vibration from 12th to 13th as well on the high e (but not as noticeable).

The sounds seem to be coming from both bridge and neck pick up but more prominent on neck. It seems to happen through clean or distorted sounds.

Any idea's how this can be resolved? Should I take it to a amp tech? I bought the Traditional on 2010, and it's had the standard factory plek.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I tried the same thing on my SG to eliminate amp/room factors. Played 7th/8th fret on my SG and it sounded fine and clear.

Last edited:

VintageGuy

Reaction score
Have you checked if the frets are in good condition?Check the 7th and 8th at the side of the high E string. If you play A LOT in that area,it can wear faster than other positions. Also, have you checked the neck relief?

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Well...on a year old guitar I would think it hard to get serious fret-wear. I would take it to a sho nuff guitar tech and have a serious set-up done. Im betting some minor adjustment would cure that quick...barring some unseen breakage or looseness starting to rear its ugly head. A member here got VIP treatment and a new guitar because his started coming apart.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing back when I had my bassman. Thought it was wolftone or filter caps, all that stuff. Changed the strings and it went away.
damn...glad you're still here!:)

yeah i forgot all about that but, i recall you're thread and resolve as well.

Nice catch!

thetragichero

Reaction score
Gentlemen...I would suggest we ALL boycot the backstage bullshit and the asses that caused it. Obviously the admin around here wont do shit...perhaps we should hijack it in peaceful protest and just not go to that section regardless.
or you could just be a man and either understand and value people for their differing opinions or avoid them and do your thing?
sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but i feel like a lot of ya'll need to get some summer's eve and shut the fuck up

JayCM800

Reaction score
Without looking i can't tell, but it sounds to me like a high-fret buzzing problem... but on a "plekked" guitar, how could this be? Oh yeah, Gibson QA!

Check this out:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0P4U5XYx8"]FretRocker - YouTube[/ame]

RobS

Reaction score
Mine is a plek'd model but I still had it 'set up' properly ad it plays so much better, changed the nut to a bone one too.
The frets needed a slight dress but not too much.
Also, as Beiling suggested change the strings. As strings wear they develop a concave wear spot underneath so when fretting the string action is actually lower because of this = buzz and all wierd things happen. Run your finger under the wound strings along the neck and you will feel the notches.

best of luck

rob

Phildog

Reaction score
I had a similar issue on one of my Standards. I resolved it by lowering the pup height and adjusting the pole pieces. Hope that can help.