Went to Guitar Center yesterday....

• Thread starter Deftone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deftone

Reaction score
I haven't been to GC in probably 10 years. But I wanted to try out a PRS....never played one. I guess I was expecting too much, because they were just kind of "meh" IMHO. Not bad at all, actually very nice. But I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. Although, I only tried a few of the imports. Nice fit and finish, SE Custom 24-08..... (Made in Korea)

L79265000002000-00-500x500.jpg

Some of the new Jackson X series imports looked pretty cool. Flat finish, but I prefer a reverse head stock.

2916342599_jac_ins_frt_01_rr.png
2916342577_jac_ins_frt_1_rr.png

They had some purple Kramers as well. Not my thing really but for $150?

iu

Kutt

Reaction score
Nice! I was there yesterday too. Used gear is always rolling through the store so I stop in when I am in the area. The one closest to me is generally fairly sucky but they've gotten some high end Gibsons in over the last few years... Custom Shop stuff as well as a respectable selection of Gibson USA. I think there were a couple PRS' but like you I never got the itch for one.

PelliX

Reaction score
Unsurprising. Most of PRS is all Made in China until you get into the fancy price ranges. I make a point of trying one or more when I visit such outlets, but I've also never felt that feeling of remorse when putting one back on the hanger again.

mark123

Reaction score
I always liked how the PRS guitars played but never liked how they sound. Especially those with the rotary pickup selector. Each position is worse than the one you just switched off of. I know people that play them and they sound good in their hands but they’re just not for me.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Nice! I was there yesterday too. Used gear is always rolling through the store so I stop in when I am in the area. The one closest to me is generally fairly sucky but they've gotten some high end Gibsons in over the last few years... Custom Shop stuff as well as a respectable selection of Gibson USA. I think there were a couple PRS' but like you I never got the itch for one.
I think PRS are ok , but I won't spend that amount of $ on a non Gibson instrument . Plus I am so hooked on Les Paul's .

Deftone

Reaction score
A note on those X series Jackson's...

I bought a Brand new 1986 Charvel Model 3 back in '87. I think it was $600 OTD. Sounds great, MIJ, great neck, jumbo frets, bolt on...Fantastic guitar and now they are going for $750+. I have an '86 Model 2 at home.

These new X series Jackson's feel the same to me and they are only about $750. The Jackson's are neck thru, jumbo frets, made in Indonesia. I also have an X series King V at home. I got it used for $375, but they generally run around $500 used. Pretty close to the same guitar for the about same money you would pay in '86. Pretty good deal if you ask me. That Adrian Smith model is nice for anyone who doesn't like pointy guitars.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I had one
Yah, I'm right there with you, PRS makes ok looking instruments but I've never played one that blew me away or incited the least bit of GAS in me.
Now those Ernie Ball St. Vincents are something that I think are pretty cool.

wwtmghkns08jekc8e72r.jpg

I had one of those for a very brief time. It was extremely well built and was the 2 humbucker model. The neck was way too small and it sounded terrible. The fact you couldn't adjust the pickup height was just stupid. They were super high output but extremely bland. A very expensive (even used) mistake on my part.

I couldn't sell it fast enough. I'd like to try some more EB MM guitars but heard the neck on most of them is thinner ...so maybe not.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I haven't been to GC in probably 10 years. But I wanted to try out a PRS....never played one. I guess I was expecting too much, because they were just kind of "meh" IMHO. Not bad at all, actually very nice. But I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. Although, I only tried a few of the imports. Nice fit and finish, SE Custom 24-08..... (Made in Korea)

L79265000002000-00-500x500.jpg

Some of the new Jackson X series imports looked pretty cool. Flat finish, but I prefer a reverse head stock.

2916342599_jac_ins_frt_01_rr.png
2916342577_jac_ins_frt_1_rr.png

They had some purple Kramers as well. Not my thing really but for $150?

iu

I tried an SE a while back and while it was nicely made, there was simply nothing inspiring about it. It had some really thick poly on it . So thick that it felt like a toy. Pickups were about what I expected...meh. Most import guitars pickups are going to get swapped if they are mine anyways.

I much prefer an Epiphone to the SE stuff.

I'm not going to throw out a blanket statement and say they all suck. Even the few core models I tried didn't blow me away, especially at the price point. I guess I do not care for PRS pickups. To get a PRS like I want, I would have to go Private stock or order as most models have too much over the top bling. That would probably be in the neighborhood of $8k.

Not paying that. I might find that one PRS that blows me away one but as of yet...I have not. The build quality is very nice indeed.

Deftone

Reaction score
I tried an SE a while back and while it was nicely made, there was simply nothing inspiring about it. It had some really thick poly on it . So thick that it felt like a toy.
Poly. I forgot about the Poly.

I keep thinking there is something off about all these import guitars that makes them feel cheap....it's the polyurethane finish.

Len

Reaction score
Try a higher priced PRS. Great action, stable neck, great finish and smooth tuners.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Poly. I forgot about the Poly.

I keep thinking there is something off about all these import guitars that makes them feel cheap....it's the polyurethane finish.
I agree, poly just has a completely feel to it to me. I have some cheaper guitars like Epiphones that are of course poly. I have one of those LP Specials in TV yellow and I sanded the back of the neck. It would get crazy sticky..

I might review it sometime if anybody is curious about one.

The finish on that PRS SE was way thick.