What 335 should I buy

• Thread starter G the wildman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I sold my Tele. I know some of you guys love them but it was not for me.

So I am now thinking of getting a new ES335 with a figured top, as I have a space in my studio. I want something that is versatile that can do nice clean jazzy work.

My worry is that it is going to be too close to my 60s model Std LP (Gibson)

I do like the look of the Yamaha 2200, but I think I will always wish that I had bought a Gibson. I also hear that Gibson continues to improve quality.

One thing I would like is a slim taper neck. But don’t think they currently make them☹️

Your opinions will be helpful.

G

neikeel

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2001 (iirc!) VSB bought it new. Went into shop expecting to get Cherry Epi 335. But no contest. It has typical 60s Gibson 60s slim taper (like all my Gibsons). 57 classics, Grovers, tune o matic etc. Very much like a Les Paul. Not a lightweight but a very dynamic instrument with wide range of tones (sounds quite middy unplugged). I use NYXL 9.5/44 - same as my R0. I used to gig it regularly but always. Worried about damaging the body.
Mine is a keeper but my daughter has natural Epi 339 with coil taps and it is fantastic and more compact.
I’d suggest one of those or a S/H CS 336 or 339.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I am now thinking of getting a new ES335 with a figured top, as I have a space in my studio. I want something that is versatile that can do nice clean jazzy work.

I do like the look of the Yamaha 2200, but I think I will always wish that I had bought a Gibson. I also hear that Gibson continues to improve quality.

One thing I would like is a slim taper neck. But don’t think they currently make them☹️

G
Get this one:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
This one is nice but a bit pricey.

I just bought this one but its mine.

And this one is interesting,
and you can give it to Oxfam if you dont like it.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Some more suggestions,
and a 12 string, but it does have a big G on it.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

G
IDK, but if you do buy a Gibson, I urge you to do this:

1. Have the shop set up the truss rod and action height as close to your liking as possible, maybe even slightly lower.

2. Then have a look at the bridge. If either or both sides are so low that there's almost no room left to lower it, DO NOT BUY IT.

I have seen about 9 (and tried 4) of them all in a row at my local shop, brand new. The bridges on all of them were almost bottomed out, if not completely. This suggests that Gibson is not getting the neck angles correct. The price range for the ones I saw were $3,500 - $4,000. This should be a deal breaker, because as the wood settles over the years, if the neck ever pulls forward a little, you might not be able to get the action low enough anymore. Usually the necks don't pull, but it depends on the environmental conditions that the guitar lives in over its lifetime. Regardless, you don't want to be cutting it that close.

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score
I do like the figured Iced tea.

I think the neck is a bit chunky, slim taper do not seem currently available.

It is interesting because my LP neck feels big to me but it is actually thinner than my strat. It must be the binding and general shape that makes it feel big. But Peach guitars gave me a neck size today and it is 2.75mm bigger than my LP. So I need to go and try before I buy. Playability is important!

G

G the wildman

Reaction score
IDK, but if you do buy a Gibson, I urge you to do this:

1. Have the chop set up the truss rod and action height as close to your liking as possible.

2. The have a look at the bridge. If either or both sides are so low that there's almost no room left to lower it, DO NOT BUY IT.

I have seen about 9 (and tried 4) of them all in a row at my local shop, brand new. The bridges on all of them were almost bottomed out, if not completely. This suggests that Gibson is not getting the neck angles correct. The price range for the ones I saw were $3,500 - $4,000. This should be a deal breaker, because as the wood settles over the years, if the neck ever pulls forward a little, you might not be able to get the action low enough anymore. Usually the necks don't pull, but it depends on the environmental conditions that the guitar lives in over its lifetime. You don't want to be cutting it that close.
Great advice Vin. Thank you.

G

G the wildman

Reaction score
I spent some time reading up on this issue. It seems Gibson still Have production problems.

I have been looking at Eastman’s and Yamaha equivalents. My luthier who is very experienced said get an Eastman.

I just fancied a the ‘real’ article.

Why can’t Gibson get it right?

G

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I spent some time reading up on this issue. It seems Gibson still Have production problems.

I have been looking at Eastman’s and Yamaha equivalents. My luthier who is very experienced said get an Eastman.

I just fancied a the ‘real’ article.

Why can’t Gibson get it right?

G
Buy a Gibson from somone like Sweetwater that will accommodate issues or accept returns if you think the guitar is a dud.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I just tried one in a good uk Chain. The bridge was indeed grounded. Next week I think I will enjoy a day in London and try a few Eastmans.

What I want is something that I will play. It does not have to be a Gibson. . .

Whilst in the store I tried a Gibson J45 the sound was lovely and mellow and contrasted with my Martin acoustic. But the build finish on my Martin blew the Gibson away. Parts of the Gibson finish looked like a far less expensive guitar.

I love my LP it is my 2nd and is a nice example. But Gibson seem to struggle with consistency.

ampeq

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

G
Hello my friend,
I have the newer "Figured" ES335 which is very nice. They run about $4000 but have very nice workmanship and great wood. The necks are round C at about .850" - .950" and feel great. (A LP Std. might be around .820" - .940" for a slim neck.) They can be larger too so check close. On this type of guitar I really like the fuller neck, it just feels right.
Another very good way to go is Heritage H-535 which are outstanding and very similar to mine. The Custom Shop stuff is pricy but awesome. There is a blue one on the 1st page that looks like a water painting. However I would stick with one of the two.

ampeq

Reaction score
One more I forgot about is Collings I-35. These are top notch guitars in every way. However they are about $2000 more than the Gibson or Heritage units, so you better really want one. I would look at Heritage, very nice guitars at a little better price. If you go with Gibson remember there are several different models of the ES335 and it's hard to spot so do your homework. Especially if you look at used ones. Good luck!

Wildeman

Reaction score
Epiphone is killin it lately, check out a Sheraton or Riviera.

jeffb

Reaction score
I think if I was looking for a more budget minded new "335", the Ibanez John Scofield would be my first choice (or the equivalent AS series if you can stand that gigantic headstock). Also that new 59 Epiphone 355 looks to have a great feature set if owning an Epi doesn't bug you.

Schecter Corsair's are very well built, but the trem is a dealbreaker for me.

the MIJ Yamaha and Ibanez stuff is fantastic, but here in the states you will take a serious beating selling it secondhand if you don't like it so much- that also goes for any Heritage or pretty much any semihollow besides a Gibson. So if you like any of those you may want to go secondhand to begin with.

G the wildman

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet!

Went to Mak’s Guitars in London’s West End (UK). Great little store with the personal touch.

Bought an Eastman T185 MX. I just can’t tell you how good the finish is. Early signs are that it is faultless. Paid £2k for it.

Prior to buying it I spent an 90 mins in the Gibson Garage. A fantastic experience and I love Gibson. But I recon if this Eastman had a Gibson logo on it the price would be 5k plus.

I can’t speak for all Eastmans but this one is gorgeous. Carved top and back, quality wood Bare Knuckle pups etc etc

It offers something different from my LP and Strat.

So warm, sounds magnificent through my ToneKing.

I gotta learn some jazz now😱

G

NumbSkull

Reaction score
looks great, classic well tested design that cant be wrong.

Can you just turn up at the Gibson Garage or do you need an appointment ?
Do they let you play most of the guitars ?

G the wildman

Reaction score
looks great, classic well tested design that cant be wrong.

Can you just turn up at the Gibson Garage or do you need an appointment ?
Do they let you play most of the guitars ?
Yes. Just turn up. It is essentially a big store. But they do not seem to discount. . .

My chum and I played many guitars.

Nice morning out. We made a day of it with a pub lunch. Enjoy.

G