What amp brand do you guys hate more?

• Thread starter JayCM800
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What amp brand do you guys hate the most?

• Line 6

Votes: 84 50.6%
  • Crate

Votes: 42 25.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 24.1%

• Total voters

Goosey

Reaction score
Im quite sick of the Line-6 gear. I use pod farm for practice but thats it. In the music shop I work in there are plenty of people coming through looking for Line-6 because they want the "ultimate, versatile metal tone"... I point them to the Peavey Valveking 112. Thank god we dont stock Line-6

Landshark

Reaction score
Gotta weigh in on this Blue Voodoo portion. I have a buddy that had one that sounded mounstrous. No pedals, no effects, just a guitar straight into the amp, and it sounded awesome... He told me later that he'd had a tech do a few voicing mods to it, bump up the bias a little... It sounded great.

As far as worst amp I've ever heard, I've also heard the Blue Voodoo sound terrible, Peavey XXX, anything Line 6, current production Crates...

Ascension

Reaction score
Mesa BOOGIE I loath playing through those things!! They sound great when someone else is playing them sound good in the store so I bought several over the years. In a real band situation I hated each and every one till I dumped them.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
no hate for amps here. even a cheap solid state can sound cool as Tom demonstrates.

‪RATM - Roll Right‬‏ - YouTube

Actually Tom uses (or used, don't really know today) a Marshall 2205

2205_2210_Net.jpg

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
You want to hear some absolute bullshit...how bout a Kramer Explorer with stock pick-ups thru a line sux half stack trying to badly play 80's metal? I sat in with that shit the other night with my DSL, 2x12 and Studio. Night and day doesn't even begin to describe...lol.

RazorDave

Reaction score
You know what I hate more than anything, when it comes to electric guitar? Those cheap Digitech / Boss multi-effect floor boards. Especially when I see one of those bad boys going into a perfectly great tube amp! UGH!

Im not a big fan of line 6, but I will say one thing. My cousin left one of those Line 6 Bogner 2x12 amps at my house, and It had some real usable tones. I wouldnt use it for final / master recordings, but its great for demos or side projects. It also had direct, cabinet simulated out, which was freakkkking killer. I could work all night with headphones, as opposed to micing my stalk and having to quit at around 9pm. Sorry for the dork rant!

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate any of those amps that you find when you go into a cheap-ass music store. Drive, Johnson, Rogue, etc. Nothing says I'm in the wrong place like that shit.

icedteaburst

Reaction score
well i chose line 6, because line 6 and crate are both ss but in the mix its easier to cut through with a 2 channel ss amp than a 1 Channel 16 mode, 300 preset xp computer with a usb hole box.

when you have to make repairs its easier and less expensive for a normal ss and i dont think its even possible with a line 6.
to me a digital amp has no power its like your playing harder, pushing the valves... oops sorry chips and nothing is "moving" because there is nothing you can push, its designed that way along with how it will sound all its life, how it cant sound, component drift, breakup point to exact measure, headroom,now transister amps.....

you can push, they will sound bad, they are solid pieces of crap, and you can at least put some pedals in front of it without some one beating you up two twice for having a shitty digital brain fart of an amp and still topping it off with more crap.
with a ss you can try and make the most of it with some dirt pedals and more than half the time you can pull it off!

all of my first marshall were ss, i had the g100rcd head, WTF is that!!... its before the mg, then i had the valvestate, then the avt, then somewhere along the line i traded my crate monoblock WTF is this!! for a lead 12, its my fav ss amp, i even miced it and played some venues with it, it basically a small ss jcm 800 combo fyi.

lots of hate from me, but whole lotta love for Marshall, ... get real, with your wallmart amps, god help us!!

ReiGnMaN

Reaction score
Sorry, but if you're knocking crate you're taking a shit on some pretty solid amps..... Sure, they made some pos amps but they also had the Khan stuff which is a blatant ripoff of a jcm800 tone stack so I'm told, and to be honest, I love the tone from my vintage club 50, I have more people blow my tone so to speak when I play through that rig...

Matterofsplatter

Reaction score
Its a tie between both line 6 and Crate, Line 6 does make some great starter combos though, and Crate did make some rad heads like Blue Voodoo and the GX130C

jackassrock

Reaction score
Line 6 is terrible across the board. Shitty response, no dynamics.

Crate has made more shitty amps than just about any other company out there (I'm looking at you Peavey), but has also made some good ones from time to time.

But, the #1 shitty sounding guitar amp of all time goes to the Peavey Bandit. There ain't a knob you can turn, or pedal you can use that's gonna make one of those sound usable.

darkhorse

Reaction score
I personally dislike any little watt amp and single speaker jobs, but that is just me. Not into the thin and midrangey easy clipping poppy market. I don't "hate" them just never will own one. Got to be at least 30 watt for me and a twin at least. I love my half stack and that delivers the goods in all sorts of variant tones and styles.

Been my experience a good player can make anything sound decent and a poor one can make anything sound like crap. Arguing with some player that their little watt amps have a huge clean and bass tone, is a never ending goof. Watts matter and have a purpose that is not really about loudness but arguing that with "my little champ sounds huge" is always a goof.

Latest posts