What Cables Are You Using?

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

royslead

Reaction score
The majority of mine are Live Wires from Guitar Center. I've had to get a couple replaced under warranty, but otherwise ok. I still have a Conquest Sound from the early '80's that is in good shape.

MexicanMike

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been using PlanetWaves for the last little while, mostly because I really like the circuit breaker built into the connector. No issues with swapping guitars. I've had 20ft lengths for the most part, but seems lately like I'm always wishing there was more. Can't justify going wireless, but would like some more freedom to move, lol. What is the longest length you've used, without sound issues because of the extra length?

Yes, I have a pack of 3 10ft Planet Waves cables still in the original packaging unopened. For now I'm using Fender California series cables for the last 2 years. Bought a pair of them, one of them unfortunately has caused some crackling issues so I tossed it out.

wakjob

Reaction score
Anyone like the D'addario (planet waves) American Stage series guitar cables?

I picked up two a while back, and have been so impressed with them I just bought another last night. For the price, I don't think they can be beat.

dslman

Reaction score
I noticed my new Mogami patch cables and George L guitar cable seemed to bring out more highs.
Kinda like a good buffer.
The GL doesn't tangle like a reg. cord , which is cool.

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
George L's for the past 10+ years, low impedance and no need to look elsewhere.

zachman

Reaction score
caerecommended.jpg

dslman

Reaction score
Be careful with Mogami. Cant use them on some stereo pedals and connections where the jacks are close together , because the jack heads are flat and wider than a typical patch cable.

Jakeboy

Reaction score
Bill Lawrence cables are my fave.

2nd fave are some Bayou Audio Cables Butch Ammons made me. Canare cable with Neutrik ends.

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
I use BAYOU [AUDIO] CABLES by Butch Ammon. They're custom made and they make you play instantly several years ahead of your current ability. Nah, they don't. They're just great, durable cables that are made to lengths you specify.

bigyinuk

Reaction score
All my cables are custom made by me from Van Damme Tour Grade Instrument cable and Neutrik plugs apart from one Van Damme Silver Grade braided cable that I use to connect pedal board to the amp (too unflexible for a guitar lead)

All the other stuff I've bought, Planet Waves, Fender etc has died within weeks, sometimes days (touring!!!). The Van Damme + Neutrik combo seems to be the only thing that will last.

Biggest culprit for sucking tone & noise IME is the patch cables that we use to connect up our effects. Everything I've bought off the shelf has failed or been crap from day one, hence why I now make my own, plus I can make them the exact length I need so my pedal board stays tidy.

Having said that, I've still got some c1978 Whirlwind cables that still work but the plugs have all had to be replaced (with Neutrik).

I use Neutrik switched plugs on the leads that go to my guitar, inc those from my wireless tx and I also have a mute button on my fx board, just in case, so no nasty pops to drive the sound guys crazy.

I've no doubt there are other leads that are good but that's what I use as the cable and plugs are not stupid money so you can make up a 20ft lead without needing a mortgage for it.

wakjob

Reaction score
You guys will probably laugh but i have been using Whirlwind cables forever (over thirty years ) and never have had a problem .

I'm not laughing, I have an old Whirlwind 15' cable that still works great.
It has the lowest capacitance of all my guitar cables, thus making it brightest.
Came in real handy when I had a rather dark toned Blackstar amp at one point.

RobLaQuinta

Reaction score
The same cables for the last 30 years.

Standard Belden microphone cable with Switchcraft metal plugs. Don't believe the hype. Monster Cables only cost more, there is no real advantage electrically.

scottbaierl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mogami for everything. A 25' gold from amp to pedal board, hand wired Mogami patch cables on the board, 18' gold from the board to my guitar.

jswatson0917

Reaction score
I have a 15' cable I bought from Bargain musician running from my guitar to my effects and from my effects to my amp and D'addario jumpers between the effects