What higher wattage marshall sounds closest to Class5?

• Thread starter divebombercorona
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

divebombercorona

Reaction score
I got a class5 that i am blown away by. I've had different marshalls over the years, jcm800, 900 but never had a plexi. If this class5 is similar to a plexi i want one (im sure the plexi is better). My question would be if i love the sound of the class5 which marshall would be similar in a higher wattage (20-50 watts?) The 90's JTM's? Looking for lower cost also.....

Thanks

boola

Reaction score
The big brothers are the 1974 and 2061, both are powered by 2 EL84s. I don't think they made a vintage style amp with 4 EL84s, if you want higher power you'll be looking at an EL34 powered amp like the JMP 50w.

The 90s JTM amp have master volumes so not really the same style.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy but I can get there with my JCM 800. Gain at 3 and master all the way up...

Mine has EL34's

Ken

Reaction score
Class 5's are a class A amp, and Marshall doesn't have any other class A amps that I can think of. I think some Fenders might be closer in sound.

If I had to guess which Marshall is closest, I'd say a JVM or DSL can get you close as they're so versatile...or maybe the YJM....? Just stick a mic on your Class 5 and run through the PA...or buy 10 of them for a 50 watt wall of sound!

Ken

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
the class 5 is a single ended class A amp, as far as i know it is marshall's only...
also the preamp is different from what i can see on the schematics as it contains gain stage > cathode follower/ tone stack > gain stage > gain stage
i'd say the clean orange or red on the JVM 410H would be a close comparison circuitwise

divebombercorona

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys - the only other marshall class A i know of is the 90s JTM series but like you said it has a master volume so not close... Maybe i should get another class 5 and call it a day.

Cadblaster

Reaction score
I got a class5 that i am blown away by. I've had different marshalls over the years, jcm800, 900 but never had a plexi. If this class5 is similar to a plexi i want one (im sure the plexi is better). My question would be if i love the sound of the class5 which marshall would be similar in a higher wattage (20-50 watts?) The 90's JTM's? Looking for lower cost also.....

Thanks

If "cheap" and "close" is what your looking for, I'd really be surprised if a JMD wouldn't get you there....

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Marshall 2061x = 20w

reverbbb

Reaction score
The discontinued 4001/Studio 15 is a 15W amp using 6V6 valves. I don't think it is a Class A amp. But to me, this amp sounds closer to a Class5 than most other Marshall amps. I used to have one. But it was not very loud when compared to my 1974X or 2061X.

Studio 15 - higher power, not very loud and sounds a bit like a Class5. YMMV

divebombercorona

Reaction score
I do everything backwards lol. I've got the 6v6 sound covered with a Laney AOR30 - i'd love to get one of the reissues but man they are pricey. Maybe i will just get a 4x12 cab - i have plugged the class5 into the speaker of the closed back Laney loaded with a Celestion 70 and man it screams.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
If you want to retain the Class 5 NMV vibe I would say you would get close in this order...

JTM45 (or a Bluesbreaker combo) A used reissue should be between $700-$1000 and will be your closest tone match. At 35+ watts it will also be a lot louder and quality of sound will be much better overall than a Class 5. You might get a decent bedroom volume with a good attenuator and it might be enough amp in a band situation if your drummer isn't a beast.

A 1974x at 18 watts will be a little louder than a Class 5, have a much better sound and player response, but will cost you between $1000-$1300 on the used market. It will sound decent at home with a good attenuator but won't be loud enough for a band situation. Maybe a real quiet jam with other players but even then...18 watts and a drummer is not a fair fight.

A 2061x will be a similar vibe but tighter, less gain and not as loose or saggy as the Class 5, 1974x and JTM45. This amp requires a person to learn to play it. In other words it is not an easy amp to play. There is a learning curve to adjust to as this amp highlights a players flaws and does not give up its tone without making you work for it. It will sound decent at home with a good attenuator and will easily make you cut through a jam. But if you play in a loud band and gig it will just struggle. You'll probably get through the night but you will definately struggle to be heard on stage.

A 1987x is anywhere from $700-$1300 and will definately provide a much louder but similar tone to the Class 5. A bit tighter and brighter but lots of gain will result as you turn it up to a deafening volume. This amp is unlikely to provide a satisfactory bedroom level tone attenuated and will usually require a little bit of attenuation at gigging stage volumes. It is by far the loudest of all the other options and unfortunately has only one place on the dial where it sounds playable and that is at really fucking loud.

IMO none of the afore mentioned amps will sound as good attenuated to bedroom volume as an unattenuated $800 1 watt anniversary Marshall in .01 watt mode. But you can't gig or jam at all with the 1 watter unless you slave it to a bigger amp.

All of it a testament to the Class 5's place on the value scale when you consider the price range of the above upgrades.

Last edited: