What is going on with Marshall and their lack of shipments of speakers, and amps to the United States?

• Thread starter guitarsmasher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
It seems that retailers were alerted something, which is why they quickly seemingly liquidated all their remaining stock, just before end of year, last year.

You figure, they sold stuff at the new price scheme, while they purchased under the old scheme, presumably to sell everything out, while the old distributor contract was still in effect.

Not sure why they'd have to clear house before any new contract settled, but, it seems the case.

I'm sure, everybody took a loss, on the clearance sales (even though they weren't marketed as such), but, there had to be a reason for them to do it, rather than simply letting the items sell & still retain stock.

But, even ebay is pretty scarce for parts, when, in the past, you could find an abundance of any & everything current on there...
I have no idea if this is what actually happened, but large multi-year distribution agreements sometimes have protections built in to the contract so that neither party is hurt financially if/when the agreement comes to an end. And these types of protections are iron-clad, highly enforceable agreements with guaranteed damages.

What I mean here is that it could have been in the contract that the existing distributor has a certain period of time to sell warehoused inventory before new product can be sold. It looks like the old distributor did not drop prices so it may have taken up the entire time period allotted to either liquidate it's inventory and/or try to disrupt the market in spite since they lost the Marshall line.

DISCLAIMER: Pure speculation, but I have been involved in such contracts when I was a purchasing manager over 30+ years ago for manufacturing company and these types of agreements take quite a while to unwind.

Tanax

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree w/ this notion about the US having low priority...

I'd imagine, that, in a city, like Los Angeles, Marshall could probably sell more amp's, than in many countries. Now, multiply that one city, w/ dozens of other big cities around the US, then all the smaller spread out areas across the States...

The problem is pretty much logistical... The dropped their distribution, which is a pretty big deal.

If they are dealing, w/o an intermediator, then they have a pretty large undertaking to start distribution from scratch. It will take time...

For the last decade, or more, they've been having trouble keeping up w/ demand. Every new NAMM announcement, was riddled w/ backorders, right out of the launch gate. Lots of complaints, year after year. &... that was w/ the big distributors, they had in place.

The new CEO said, that they'd need a year, to get things rolling, & that was a couple months ago. It will probably be a rocky year, for the next 10 months or so...

English is not my native language but that's precisely what I meant and I tried to explain that further down in the post you quoted. Like I said there, it takes time to produce these things and have them shipped around the globe since it's not Marshall's home turf.
What I meant by "main" is that it's easier for Marshall to produce and ship their amps within Europe which is much closer to them.

Just like Mesa is much easier to buy in the US, in contrast to buying them around the world, for instance in Europe.

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
Ordered ST20H, ST212, SV20H and SV212 on 4/16. Received ST20H on 6/30, but nothing else has shipped. Tried it through a DSL40CR speaker, but really want the cabinet...

They are clearly selling them as they come in and I am guessing there are a bunch "on the water" and many more being produced and QCd etc.

They probably hoped for the best and in ideal conditions shipping takes 3 weeks to the East Coast and 6 weeks to the West Coast - then they have to pass customs, get offloaded and sent to the distributor and then to the companies. Still a lot of logistical issues with shipping so I am sure they are pulling their hair out as much or more than the customers.

In my case I only pay when they come in and I am sure the stores are holding the customer money so Marshall is not even cash flowing yet and also losing sales due to cancellations.

Marshall has not done a great job managing expectations and are clearly not communicating with their suppliers, but will get wrinkled out. Let's hope sooner than later...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Pure speculation, but I have been involved in such contracts when I was a purchasing manager over 30+ years ago for manufacturing company and these types of agreements take quite a while to unwind.
to be fair, we are all just speculating... although some speculation seems off mark. (not saying yours)

I too have experience in mfgr'ing, distribution & sales, so I understand some of the rules of the trades.

one thing I might add to your "agreement" list is "non-compete" agreements & also fair pricing agreements... (which JAM Ind didn't seem to care anything about)

That's also why, Marshall got upset, when they found out US consumers were buying direct from UK/EU retailers, because it breaks the non-compete rule, as well as fair pricing. but... in reality, JAM were breaking the fair pricing, charging double the rest of the world for products...

I know the multi-tier pricing for mfgr's, dist'ers, retailers, public.

As a mfgr/dist, we also belonged to the regional association, which all members had to agree to fair marketing. For instance, if, we as a mfgr/dist, ever sold to the public, we were not allowed to sell at wholesale prices, we could not undercut the retailer shops, that we sold to. So, we had to find out what the retail price was, & then, typically we'd even mark that up, so as to encourage people to buy off our retail customers... rather than trying to cut out the middle man & undercutting our valued retailers...

The retail shops all agreed to be within say, 10% +/- of each other's prices, just for fair business practice...

I know, w/ music gear, there's MSRP, but, behind the scenes, there's MAP or UPP...

then there's price gouging (JAM Ind)...

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
I think Marshall was not doing enough volume so their distributor jacked up the pricing to make some money. Marshall was asleep at the wheel and let their licensing partner make a fortune off their name resulting in 95% of revenue from their non - core business. Now Marshall is owned by the people they licensed to and they let the distribution agreement lapse so they could take over distribution and have 100% control of the company.

Dropping prices is a good first step, but that will just be a short term shot in the arm. Once this initial rush of orders gets fulfilled they are back to square one unless Marshall also starts making proper amps again and cleans up their product offerings...

JzRepair

Reaction score
My local tech mentioned he didn't want to reapply to be an authorized Marshall repair center also due to a bunch of changes I didn't understand.
Long story short, they don't pay well for the work we do, they want to be able to audit our businesses and tell us how to operate, and a whole bunch of other unnecessary requirements. On top of this, I did one warranty repair with them since the change and it took them over 3 months and threatening to take them to small claims court to get paid. Too many red flags for me to stick with them and I'm sure for many others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have yet to hear of an amp company that is currently operating which offers shops the chance to be a warranty center for them, WHICH DOES RIGHT BY THE REPAIR SHOPS, with good parts and service documentation support, good markups on parts prices, good labor rates, and also quick payment of biillable service. Not Fender, not Mesa, not Gibson, not Marshall, not ANYBODY.

I looked at picking up warranty work for ALL of them. When I looked deeper either their terms where whacked or their reputation with other warranty shops was less than positive.

JzRepair

Reaction score
I have yet to hear of an amp company that is currently operating which offers shops the chance to be a warranty center for them, WHICH DOES RIGHT BY THE REPAIR SHOPS, with good parts and service documentation support, good markups on parts prices, good labor rates, and also quick payment of biillable service. Not Fender, not Mesa, not Gibson, not Marshall, not ANYBODY.

I looked at picking up warranty work for ALL of them. When I looked deeper either their terms where whacked or their reputation with other warranty shops was less than positive.
I completely agree. On one hand, when you're starting out, taking these contracts is a smart move because it helps get your name out there, bring in business, and doesn't cost you a dime. On the other, you are correct. None of them pay us our regular rates and expect us to do it for 1/4 to a 1/3rd of what we charge, all while expecting us to bump them all to the front of the line. But, like I said, for a small shop starting out, it's a no-brainer. Having my business listed on their sites was great and brought in a lot of business for me in the beginning.

The problem is, I've developed a reputation and now, because I'm a one-man-band, I'm about 5 months out on repair work. I offer an express service that bumps people to the front of the line, but it comes with a cost. I don't swap boards. I work on board level repairs and this can take some time, but you're left with your equipment, minus the faulty parts, not a new PCB that will ultimately cause the same issues down the road.

Overall, I have no issue with Marshall switching things up. It was a business decision to benefit them. I had to make my decision, too. They were good to me until all this transition happened and I honestly wish the best for them. It just no longer made sense to me other than having access to all the newer schematics. But I prefer working on the vintage equipment anyways.

myklomaniac

Reaction score
This is my first purchase with Marshall, and potentially the last as well.
Latest update, ordered a 1936V cab in January. It was supposed to ship to L&M Canada in May 2024, then delayed until July 22, now delayed again until late August. This isn't L&M's fault, afaik. They're the retailer. Marshall has created a bit of a mess for themselves by the way they've handled this "transition" away from their North American distribution middle men, if that's the main reason for the supply chain problems/delays. Never again, for me, based on this experience. I should have ordered 2 1936 cabs, and a pair of G12V speakers, and swapped them into the cabs. I found some other Ontario Canada based online music stores that suggested their 1936V delivery around August 25, but have no idea how accurate that guess might be. Hope Marshall browses this website occasionally to realize the brand damage they've done. I suppose the price drops will help somewhat.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
My salesman has told me September. Will see. I still have 2 Studio amps and 4 speaker cabinets on backorder.
Hey @Keysdweller I'm on Big Pine and seeing if you guys are playing out anywhere near me? Now that mini-season is over, we are going to be looking for something to do, lol!!

Keysdweller

Reaction score
Nice, so you did some lobster hunting the last 48 hours? I live in the upper Keys and the traffic heading north out of the Keys is crazy today. We all voted to not do any gigs until the summer is over. Most of the places we play are outdoor areas at bars and it's too hot for us older musicians. LOL. Plus, our drummer is traveling a lot for the summer and our singer has been doing some traveling with his girlfriend. Are you going down to Key West? There are a few cool places around where you are too. If I was closer to Big Pine, I would meet up with you somewhere. How long are you staying? Another guitarist and I are currently looking for a place to rent in the upper Keys to set up a small recording studio for bands to record and for us to practice. That's why I have ordered all this Marshall and other equipment. My friend is furnishing all the recording and microphone equipment. There is no place set up for recording here and the closest place for recording is Miami.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Nice, so you did some lobster hunting the last 48 hours? I live in the upper Keys and the traffic heading north out of the Keys is crazy today. We all voted to not do any gigs until the summer is over. Most of the places we play are outdoor areas at bars and it's too hot for us older musicians. LOL. Plus, our drummer is traveling a lot for the summer and our singer has been doing some traveling with his girlfriend. Are you going down to Key West? There are a few cool places around where you are too. If I was closer to Big Pine, I would meet up with you somewhere. How long are you staying? Another guitarist and I are currently looking for a place to rent in the upper Keys to set up a small recording studio for bands to record and for us to practice. That's why I have ordered all this Marshall and other equipment. My friend is furnishing all the recording and microphone equipment. There is no place set up for recording here and the closest place for recording is Miami.
We limited out on Wednesday and 3 shy on Thursday. Going fishing tomorrow now that the wind has finally laid down and the girls are probably going to Key West tomorrow. If the wind was still blowing I would be in KW tomorrow too. Probably going home on Sunday, but I will probably be back down in a month or two. I'll check in when I come back.

guitarsmasher

Reaction score
Sure, but then your cab is a Friedman and not a Marshall.
I don't know how I missed this statement, but this is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I don't want to buy something else when all i want is a Marshall. Always been my dream to own one, and for whatever reason that is it is just how its always been for me. I grew up seeing Marshalls behind all of my favorite bands, so naturally I'd want one too.

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
Was told a few weeks ago August 8, but the store says they have no indication of when the orders will be filled. Anyone have an idea when they will come in? I'm very close to cancelling half my order because I have bought other equipment since April. Well over 90 days since ordering and that should have been the outside fulfillment timeline.

Marshall put the cart before the horse and really messed up this distribution takeover.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
My salesman is telling me that September will be the next Marshall shipment. Can't say which items they will be, but I still have two more Studio amps, two Studio cabinets, a 1936 cabinet and a 1960B cabinet on backorder. I ordered all four of the Marshall Studio amps in April and received two of them in June so far.

JDW3

Reaction score
I ordered a 1936 cab in February. At that time, the rep said June, In June he said July/August. I got a call from the "new" rep 2 days ago. He said November! All I wanted was a 2x12 Cab.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I ordered a 1936 cab in February. At that time, the rep said June, In June he said July/August. I got a call from the "new" rep 2 days ago. He said November! All I wanted was a 2x12 Cab.
I ordered all 4 of the Marshall Studio Amps, 3 of the Studio 212 speaker cabinets, a 1936 cab and a 1960B cab in April. I received 2 of the Studio Amps and 1 of the 212 speaker cabinets in June. My salesman said the remainder would be here in September but I'm not going to hold my breath. Keep us updated on your order and I will do the same.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Was zapping through guitarvids yesterday and found this vid were seemingly the guy got a "free" (i suppose!) shipment of 3 heads and 1 cab couple weeks ago.

If I were you, i'd start to put the herd on them now. Let them know that it takes too fucking long and you want your stuff, that you paid for, within the next 2 weeks.

Latest posts