What is the point, if you can't use it?

• Thread starter ItsChrispyTv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
but ok with a jcm 800, you say 3-4 is enough. What is that? like a proper distortion or just a twangy clean?

3-4 is nice and loud and chunky, if your preamp is turned down you have a nice loud chunky clean, if you preamp is cranked youll have loud and chunky dirty,...[about as dirty as AC/DC] if you put a overdrive pedal, or clean boost pedal in front of a dirty 800 with the pre cranked you'll have THE 80's metal grind.

Clammy

Reaction score
NOTHIING moves air like a couple (or few) 100w topped non-master volume full stacks CRANKED... seriously, NOTHING!!!! :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

Robertf

Reaction score
Interesting to see all the guitar players basically giving the middle finger to sound guys and club owners. :headbanger:

But the problem is epidemic these days, at least at the clubs we play in LA, which have included the House Of Blues, Knitting Factory, AC Supper Club, Mint and Derby.

Our originals band played the Viper Room in September and that's a good sized room with a decent PA. I brought my Marshall 2061 for the gig, cause I'm fed up with the issues that come down every time I wheel the 50 watt plexi in the door--even with an attenuator

I cranked up the 2061 through their JCM 800 cab and the sound guy vapor-locked. "That's gonna have to be turned down...don't you have a master volume?" I turned it down a quarter-turn, which placated him, but took the amp right out of the fun zone for me. I had to use a pedal for a lot of stuff that night and I don't really like pedals these days. You don't really hear it on the tape, but I struggled at times to get what I needed out of the rig that night.

One of you guys said it pretty good -- the name bands get to play loud while the rest of us have to deal with the sound guys and volume complaints. It seems pretty much standard in LA these days.

A club owner put his point of view to me very matter of fact one night -- When people pay to see a name act, they expect it to be loud, but no one wants a no-name band to be louder than they can talk, so turn the fuckin' thing down.

I guess that's show biz.:mad:

topcat 70

Reaction score
Interesting to see all the guitar players basically giving the middle finger to sound guys and club owners. :headbanger:

But the problem is epidemic these days, at least at the clubs we play in LA, which have included the House Of Blues, Knitting Factory, AC Supper Club, Mint and Derby.

Our originals band played the Viper Room in September and that's a good sized room with a decent PA. I brought my Marshall 2061 for the gig, cause I'm fed up with the issues that come down every time I wheel the 50 watt plexi in the door--even with an attenuator

I cranked up the 2061 through their JCM 800 cab and the sound guy vapor-locked. "That's gonna have to be turned down...don't you have a master volume?" I turned it down a quarter-turn, which placated him, but took the amp right out of the fun zone for me. I had to use a pedal for a lot of stuff that night and I don't really like pedals these days. You don't really hear it on the tape, but I struggled at times to get what I needed out of the rig that night.

One of you guys said it pretty good -- the name bands get to play loud while the rest of us have to deal with the sound guys and volume complaints. It seems pretty much standard in LA these days.

A club owner put his point of view to me very matter of fact one night -- When people pay to see a name act, they expect it to be loud, but no one wants a no-name band to be louder than they can talk, so turn the fuckin' thing down.

I guess that's show biz.:mad:

Its the same in the UK.At practice you get everything just how you want it,good tone,controlled feedback etc but when you do a gig the soundman makes you turn it down.Dont know what the answer is.Maybe a line 6!:lol:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
here's the solution to in-house soundmen.bring them a beer,soda,water whatever w/ a couple drops of visine in it.
when he runs off w/ the screamin' chits have your guy take over.:cool2:

Cobra

Reaction score
The only problem i see (which is in every cab) is that you have this "death ray" of treble, coming in a straight line from the speakers. If you "close" that off (with fx plexi screens) you have less trouble with the soundman (according to my experience), and you can stand in front of your cab without getting a ringing noise in the ears for the rest of the night. But then again I play death metal, and where we have played, there is RARELY complaints about being too loud, so maybe it is just "too loud, too old"

diesel king

Reaction score
Sound guys usually tell me to turn down when soundchecking. I do it. The I turn it up louder than it was before hitting the stage! :headbanger: :jam::dude::rock:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Its amazing how certain threads really take off. This probably going to be one of them threads. What I like is it appears to have touched a sensitive nerve...and I am SO, SO happy that I am not alone in my desire to be loud!

All of Rock's greatest players liked/like it loud..including Rhoads, SRV, Malmsteen, Malcom/Angus, Wylde, Van Halen, 'theDimeyman' (rip), Lemmy, etc., etc., etc.,...

Most non-musician like people do not profoundly understand the importance of it..that is as an element and cornerstone of hard rock guitar/music.

Yet many of these people are the same very people who adore those aforementioned players as illustrated above..total fucking hypocrisy..

I will NEVER, EVER leave the idiom and brotherhood of the cranked Marshall amp:wow:..few things in life can match its awe and beauty!!

Robertf

Reaction score
here's the solution to in-house soundmen.bring them a beer,soda,water whatever w/ a couple drops of visine in it.
when he runs off w/ the screamin' chits have your guy take over.:cool2:

burns.jpg