What kind of Delays are you guys using in your DSL effects loop?

• Thread starter matttornado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matttornado

Reaction score
Curious as to what delays work well in a DSL CR FX loop. I tried two Boss pedals, an old DD-3 & WAZA DM-2W and they both did not work in my 40 CR's loop. They sounded awful. Totally destroyed the sound of the amp when turned on. I have an old Ibanez digital delay that sounds awesome though.

Are there any BOSS delays that sound good in this scenario? I'd like to get a BOSS delay if possible.
What other brands work well? I tried an MXR Carbon Copy and that sounded just as bad as the BOSS pedals.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I use BOSS delays in the loop of my 40CR and they work fine (to my poorly trained ears).
But they are all in the GT-100.
Not sure if that is much help to you.
It could be a COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) thing with the GT-100 that helps.
Do any of their DD pedals have COSM (or AIRD)?

Frodebro

Reaction score
Some BOSS pedals do not play well with hotter line level signals. Sounds like you have a couple of them. I have a DD3 in a drawer that is that way, it’s basically a cool looking doorstop.

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
I use BOSS delays in the loop of my 40CR and they work fine (to my poorly trained ears).
But they are all in the GT-100.
Not sure if that is much help to you.
It could be a COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) thing with the GT-100 that helps.
Do any of their DD pedals have COSM (or AIRD)?
Same here, I use an MS-3 with the 40CR in 4 cable method and the delays and reverbs sound fine in the amp loop.

bhatta

Reaction score
I use a Memory Toy with my Dsl20cr loop.
Doesn't change the tone, works well.
So does my walrus Fundamental Reverb.

I have tried Carbon copy, but it was too dark.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Curious as to what delays work well in a DSL CR FX loop. I tried two Boss pedals, an old DD-3 & WAZA DM-2W and they both did not work in my 40 CR's loop. They sounded awful. Totally destroyed the sound of the amp when turned on. I have an old Ibanez digital delay that sounds awesome though.

Are there any BOSS delays that sound good in this scenario? I'd like to get a BOSS delay if possible.
What other brands work well? I tried an MXR Carbon Copy and that sounded just as bad as the BOSS pedals.
Although somewhat embarrassed to admit it, I don't play the delay and chorus (both Boss Waza craft pedals) through the effects loop as gospel dictates. I tried both front end and loop with my old band through the DSL40CR and neither they nor I could tell a difference. So I just play through the front end. This might be heresy on the forum but it doesn't sound better through the loop to my ears and is much easier to set up because you don't have to use the four-cable method. Of course, YMMV...

december

Reaction score
Source Audio Nemesis ADT. Has analog dry thru, so the amp retains its pure analog tone, while only the repeats are digital. I can confirm it works perfectly in a DSL20CR FX loop with no coloration or signal loss.
12 delay engines on the pedal, 26 if you connect to the app, plus a whole bunch of extra controls in the app that aren't on the pedal. It can do everything.

GI_John

Reaction score
I'm running the Keeley Caverns. I think it sounds pretty good.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I don't have a DSL but I've been using a Zoom G3n and G3Xn multi-effects pedals lately for delay in my loop, and chorus and reverb, all sound great!

RickRickner

Reaction score
So, I have a line plugged at the send on the back of the amp and into the right side of the delay pedal. And, a little line from the left side of the delay pedal into the right side of the reverb pedal. And, a line from the left side of the reverb pedal into the return plug on the back of the amp.
And, each pedal's power plug is connected to a 9 volt plug at the power supply.
And so, by following this exactly, I have tried a handful of various delay and reverb pedals. And they all sound great!
If I didn't have a power supply then, I would go buy a package of new 9 volt batteries and put new batteries in the pedals.

If something didn't sound right after doing that, I would take my amp to a guitar & guitar gear store and say, hi, yeah I want to try out a delay pedal or two to see which sounds good through my amp. And, I have brought in my pedal/s too to find out if something is actually wrong with my pedals or not.

And, everything should definitely work out from there.

OneOcean

Reaction score
Although somewhat embarrassed to admit it, I don't play the delay and chorus (both Boss Waza craft pedals) through the effects loop as gospel dictates. I tried both front end and loop with my old band through the DSL40CR and neither they nor I could tell a difference. So I just play through the front end. This might be heresy on the forum but it doesn't sound better through the loop to my ears and is much easier to set up because you don't have to use the four-cable method. Of course, YMMV...
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I think you're doing it right. The famous Marshall sounds that use effects we are all familiar with, EVH being a prime example, are with pedals into the front of the amp. There is a certain magic that happens when the analog effects interact with the first tube gain stages that can't be replicated with an effects loop. However the effects' controls are more sensitive being amplified by the preamp so one needs to be careful about how much effect to add and it will change depending on the preamp's gain. There are some benefits to using an FX loop with channel switching amps by equalizing the effects' amount in clean and overdriven channels, but you won't get those classic effect laden Marshall tones from the 70s-90s with a loop.

RnFnR

Reaction score
I have a DD-8 going through the FX loop on my 40CR... sounds great to me, but I've never compared it with anything else as far as delay goes.

Spooky88

Reaction score
I’m trying to use, well, all of them. Haha! So far I have:
CB Thermae
CB Habits
MXR CC
DL4
Volante
Timeline
UA Orion
Belle Epoch

Hmm, I’m forgetting a couple. O well, maybe a red panda, Eventide, Boss is in the future.

GuitarGuruLLC

Reaction score

I never liked any thing through the JCM2000 DSL50 loop. To me it changed the whole Amp Character. Putting a Delay in front of a high gain amp doesn’t work well either.

matttornado

Reaction score
Thanks! good to know!
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I think you're doing it right. The famous Marshall sounds that use effects we are all familiar with, EVH being a prime example, are with pedals into the front of the amp. There is a certain magic that happens when the analog effects interact with the first tube gain stages that can't be replicated with an effects loop. However the effects' controls are more sensitive being amplified by the preamp so one needs to be careful about how much effect to add and it will change depending on the preamp's gain. There are some benefits to using an FX loop with channel switching amps by equalizing the effects' amount in clean and overdriven channels, but you won't get those classic effect laden Marshall tones from the 70s-90s with a
I have a DD-8 going through the FX loop on my 40CR... sounds great to me, but I've never compared it with anything else as far as delay goes.

GuitarGuruLLC

Reaction score
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I think you're doing it right. The famous Marshall sounds that use effects we are all familiar with, EVH being a prime example, are with pedals into the front of the amp. There is a certain magic that happens when the analog effects interact with the first tube gain stages that can't be replicated with an effects loop. However the effects' controls are more sensitive being amplified by the preamp so one needs to be careful about how much effect to add and it will change depending on the preamp's gain. There are some benefits to using an FX loop with channel switching amps by equalizing the effects' amount in clean and overdriven channels, but you won't get those classic effect laden Marshall tones from the 70s-90s with a loop.
EVH didn’t have a head with an effects loop, and he didn’t run a delay in the front either. He used a load box straight out, then effects, then another amp.

matttornado

Reaction score
thanks! good to know! i might check into one of those.

matttornado

Reaction score
I
Catlinbread Belle Epoch might be worth a spin. It emulates an EP-3 nicely.
I had one of those when they first came out, before I bought my DSL though. That one sounded decent. Didn’t care for the boost function though if I remember correctly and one of the jacks kept coming unscrewed😂

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I never liked the change in tone in any of my DSLs when inserting effects in their loop circuit.
They all color the sound and take away energy of the tone.

I use a second amp, Origin 50 with effects in the loop.
They effects sound way getter without all that mega distortion from the DSL preamp.

Latest posts