What Should I Buy? - Jtm45 Ri Vs Jubilee 2525c Vs Dsl40c

• Thread starter Michocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JTM45 RI vs Jubilee 2525C vs DSL40C or OTHER

• JTM45 RI w/attenuation

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Jubilee 2525C

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • DSL40C / DSL40CST

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other (Please Suggest below)

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Michocaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here but it's an important one for me.

I'm looking for your opinion on which amp is best for my intended usage and sound goals.

I need an amp that is not too loud for home use, but I want a warm / dark sound and I'm not too concerned about the price. Having said that... If the Jubilee 2525C and DSL40C are similar in sound quality, I would probably settle for the DSL40C. I once read someone state (in this very forum) "If the DSL40C was made in England the cost would be x3". I am keeping that in mind considering the Jubilee IS made in England, so I'm not sure if I'm paying for better tone or just the labor and other fees.

My current amp is an MG15 DFX combo solid state amp. This amp can sound warm and smooth (treble at 1) at very low volumes but starts to sound really hashy and buzzy (terrible) once I crank it up. I also have a MG15 CFX. This amp sounds cool instead of warm. It actually seems like the effects are permanently on and it doesn't sound "analog" if you get what I mean. It sounds very digital like there is a layer of something between me and the amp. This one doesn't get so hashy sounding when cranked up like the DFX does, but it doesn't sound warm or smooth at low volume either.

I have heard sound clips of the DSL40C and it sounds bright and hollow, but I do understand the limitations of videos online. (since my cheap SS amp sounds much better in person than the clips I heard online)

The 2525C is a mystery to me. The clips online are hit or miss.

I am also considering the JTM45 RI (with a single 12 cab). If I were to purchase this amp, I would like to convert it to triode mode to cut the power in half and also put in a master volume. (or attenuation, etc) I have heard, though, that small low watt amps cranked up sound better than overpowered amps attenuated down to reasonable levels. I'm hesitant to get a head like this for fear it will sound crappy at bedroom volume levels.

I'd also like to ask.. Why is something like the 1974X 18-watt or Astoria Custom 30-watt 1x12 so expensive? These things are all using tubes and resistors, caps, etc, so I'm not understanding why one is x5 the price of the other. (DSL40C vs these two)

Hoping for any advice. Thanks all.

EDIT: UPDATE 12/16/17- I bought a Jubilee Mini and couldn't get the tone I wanted out of it. I returned it, and almost bought an Axe-FX until I started to notice it sounds blurry / plasticy. There is a coloration that is present in all the tones.

I then almost pulled the trigger on a Kemper, since it sounds clearer, less blurry, but it's lacking something. It pretty much nails the real amp tones, way better than the Axe-Fx, but it sounds like an MP3 while the real deal is a Lossless. I was going to wait for a Kemper II version...

That is until I came across a Blackstar Artisan 100 HW head. This is basically a Marshall Superlead 100 clone with some additional voicing options / switching, from a Fender to a Plexi. I'm using an Alnico 15 inch mid-bass ($1,200 for the single driver alone) studio driver as my guitar speaker, to keep driver coloration to a minimum for proper testing. The sound is incredible and is exactly what I was looking for. It's clear as a bell, wide open, with airy breakup when pushed to around 8. There is no master volume. I plan to buy an attenuation device, but for the meantime I have my amp and cabinet setup in the room next to me (to avoid ear damage) and I crank it on 8 - 10 for breakup. Everyday is a live concert, I'm sure the neighbors don't mind, lol.

The only video / sound clip I've found which does it justice is this one:

Last edited:

Msharky67

Reaction score
I vote the DSL40c because it can do everything those can do at half the price. Upgrade the speaker and you got yourself an instant classic. I have the vintage model with a Celestion Marquee speaker in it. It is the one of the best amps I have ever owned. Sounds huge and so playable. Its a great platform to create from. Yes it would be nice to have a jubilee but the price is more than the amp can do alone. More bang for your buck.

JohnH

Reaction score
It seems like you're ready for a big step up in amp quality and tone but still searching for your sound, with sych different choices being considered. Personally I woudnt want to have just one good amp and imediately feel it needs circuit mods. I pressed the DSL40c option, its a solid proven design going back 20 years (based on a 50w head) with some considerable design improvements in its current combo form. Its great value and covers all bases. You might end up swapping the speaker but thats not a big deal.

I was considering one myself recently but instead found a smoking hot deal on a Vintage Modern combo at much less $.

That being said, if i could afford an Astoria (based on some big price reductions recently) Id consider it. Im not sure which one.

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I have a DSL40C. I like it. If you can find one for a good price get a JVM215C over a 2525c and learn how to use the knobs to get all the sounds out of it.

Michocaster

Reaction score
I vote the DSL40c because it can do everything those can do at half the price. Upgrade the speaker and you got yourself an instant classic. I have the vintage model with a Celestion Marquee speaker in it. It is the one of the best amps I have ever owned. Sounds huge and so playable. Its a great platform to create from. Yes it would be nice to have a jubilee but the price is more than the amp can do alone. More bang for your buck.

That it can do everything the others can do sounds very appealing considering the cost difference, but to what degree? I don't want to come across as asking for what is a nice beginner amp. I'm looking to buy something that I won't feel the need to upgrade later on. Is the DSL40C really that good? I won't hear a Marshall 1987X someday and have the "so this is what I've been missing out on" type of awakening, right? I appreciate your advice. I saw you own a JCM800 which is said to be one of the best. It's good to get your opinion since you have both to compare. Is there any reason to consider anything more expensive, such as the Jubilee 2525C?

It seems like you're ready for a big step up in amp quality and tone but still searching for your sound, with sych different choices being considered. Personally I woudnt want to have just one good amp and imediately feel it needs circuit mods. I pressed the DSL40c option, its a solid proven design going back 20 years (based on a 50w head) with some considerable design improvements in its current combo form. Its great value and covers all bases. You might end up swapping the speaker but thats not a big deal.

I was considering one myself recently but instead found a smoking hot deal on a Vintage Modern combo at much less $.

That being said, if i could afford an Astoria (based on some big price reductions recently) Id consider it. Im not sure which one.

Yes, you got that right 100%. I've been using these two cheap SS amps since I started playing with a cheap squier stratocaster. I'll upload a clip in a moment so you can literally hear where I'm coming from. If cost is not much concern, you might be wondering why I haven't upgraded my gear after all this time. The answer to that is I didn't have the desire to, since I felt unless I can play decent I don't deserve any decent gear. I can afford an Astoria (barely), but I am wondering why is it so expensive when all these amps seem to be rather simple. I'm guessing it's because they're hand-wired in England... Would the Astoria really sound so much better than the DSL40C or 2525C?

JohnH

Reaction score
Hand wired in the UK has to add a premium. But there'll also be better quality parts and construction.

At this point, once youve done the research, I reckon you need to spend a solid Saturday morning getting to wherever you need to go to to actually play these amps. When I was looking, there were several amps that changed my mind once Id tried them.

Michocaster

Reaction score
What music do you like to play?

How loud can you play at home?

I usually play at low to medium volumes. I don't like a cold or thin tone. If I crank up the amp it gets really hashy and buzzy.

I have a DSL40C. I like it. If you can find one for a good price get a JVM215C over a 2525c and learn how to use the knobs to get all the sounds out of it.

I considered the JVM215C but I read a DSL40C owner claim it was inferior in tone, so I scratched it off my list. I was also turned off by all those control knobs. It looked like a metal amp.

Last edited:

Michocaster

Reaction score
Hand wired in the UK has to add a premium. But there'll also be better quality parts and construction.

At this point, once youve done the research, I reckon you need to spend a solid Saturday morning getting to wherever you need to go to to actually play these amps. When I was looking, there were several amps that changed my mind once Id tried them.

I would love to try all these amps, but the local music store only has a Blackstar budget amp and the cheap Marshall solid state lineup. That's why I just want to call it a day and buy whatever the census around here says is the best amp at low to moderate volume levels. Btw, I mentioned the JTM45 in my post since it's the lowest powered vintage classic head I know. I would buy it right now if I know it wouldn't suck the tone out of it with attenuation at decent volume levels, or know that the little amps won't smoke it at low volumes. I've been researching PPIMV vs the EPA and other methods. I have no clue on this aspect of amps, but I've never heard a JTM45 clip I didn't like. It sounds smooth and thick. (Hendrix at Monterey comes to mind)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The Jubilees are smooth and thick. While the 40C is more versatile, for the most part, it can be harsh outta the box, even after speaker breakin. It's considerably less money so you could change out the speaker if need be. One can EQ out much of that.
The Jube just has a different tone to it, very responsive EQ and will sit at 5 watts. Plywood construction rather than HDF, more impedance choices.
I don't know one will find an amp that you will not later say "It's missing this tone or that tone" unless you buy more amps.
Example.
A JCM800 has a great grind, they're a killer amp. ! Most guys use an OD pedal with them. The old ones have no fx loop so can be limiting that way. It might be tonal bliss for you but be lacking in versatility and does not sound nearly as good at low levels.

I had a 40C for a few years and really liked it tonally. But it didn't cover the ground that the 6101 etc does so I finally sold it. The Jubilees are warm, thick and again, such a responsive EQ. Unique in the Marshall line. You REALLY have to go try some, somewhere.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
BTW, because one 40C owner called a JVM inferior in tone does not make it so. Tone is very subjective and although the JVM excels at metal, sooo many tones are in there. There's just a character to the Jubilee tone that is hard to emulate.

Msharky67

Reaction score
I have wanted a good combo for a while. I have a DSL50 and wanted the combo of it but they made it different from the head (original DSL40). I didn't like it. I thought I away's wanted a 4210 and got one and didn't like it. It just didn't do what I wanted it to do. I was bummed. When they reissued the DSL's and the 40 again I was stoked that they did it right this time and made the head and combo the same. I thought long and hard about what to get. I was on a budget as well. Yeah it would be nice to spend more and get something bigger but for me at least the choices would have been harder to decide then. Its hard choosing an amp that you enjoy playing. I agree try some out before you buy something. For me the DSL40c was WOW. Would I feel that way about something else. Maybe maybe not. I can't even think what I would get now if I didn't get this. Especially price. I am pondering selling my Haze40 now after I move and can try them side by side. Its my least one used but I got a great price for it. I want to like it but its just different. I will probably wait to get something else. For now I am very happy.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
That's awesome! Remember, you had very little choice given the budget. If you had way more budget and could try a few things, who knows what you might pick? Maybe even still the 40C!

ken361

Reaction score
Most people have the DSL40 were wrong including me! They bias it way too hot 30 to 32 works great. After 2 years I went back to stock. Just 8 hrs on the stock speaker is warm as the WGS speakers I have used but the 70 80 has the mids and bite over those and even went back to the stock preamp tubes! At first new it was bright but amp breaking in and its totally better now.I had a JVM and played the Jub. Iam still digging the DSL!!

Last edited:

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I won't hear a Marshall 1987X someday and have the "so this is what I've been missing out on" type of awakening, right?

I'd be surprised if you didn't.

That said, if it's home use you are requiring an amp for I would suggest the 1 watter line.

From what I hear of your own playing I beleieve a JMP1 or JCM1, possibly with a boost, would rock your world. If a Schenker type vibe is desired those two circuits (JMP/JCM) would get you close and cover a lot of other ground as well IMO. I also think you'd be equally satisfied with the DSL1 or JVM1 given the amps you are graduating from.

Whatever you decide, I can't stress that it will be equally important to pair the amp you choose with a quality cab and speakers. Speaker choice will also be of major influence in the recipe.

Regardless, I think you will open up a whole new world by switching to a tube amp. If you choose one that can provide the amount of gain you require that is. You've got chops so you deserve it.

Make sure you get a kick ass guitar as well at some point.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@OP: If you are most interested in these amps, why you not spend a weekend or two looking for these amps to play in stores? Put in some time and effort in order to gain some personal experience.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you may have regret buying any of the amps you mentioned (I kinda get that vibe reading your responses. I have a suggestion: look into trying a Axe-FX or a Kemper system. Both these units might be harder to find than any of the amps in the poll, but they can do so many amazing things.

Good luck in your search.

baconjerky

Reaction score
Well anything you buy is gonna be an immense upgrade over your dumpy MG. Between these options it's between the DSL and Jube for sure. I don't think a JTM or 800 is what you want in your situation. Those amps need to be loud. They're not like your solid state now I mean they're pretty much unacceptable for tones at bedroom levels. And a JVM is a more high gain amp geared more towards a modern sound. Not necessarily a bad thing but again doesn't sound like what your looking for.

If you get the DSL just know that you HAVE to change the 70/80. I don't care what anyone else says it's a terrible speaker and is completely mismatched with how bright the amp is. That said a used 40c is one of the best amp values you can find. Marshall has been flagshipping the DSL series for a while now for a good reason.

But it seems like money's not an issue here so I'm voting 2525c. The new jubes are rocking little amps. You really can't go wrong with either though.

And don't get an Axe-fx or anything like that. You're on a Marshall forum and you want a Marshall so get a Marshall.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
For my tastes and how and what I like playing, the JTM45 would be my choice of those listed, hands down. Lately, I've really been digging playing through my non-MV amps. Unfortunately, this would not be a good choice for anyone wanting a bedroom level amp.