What Should I Buy? - Jtm45 Ri Vs Jubilee 2525c Vs Dsl40c

• Thread starter Michocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JTM45 RI vs Jubilee 2525C vs DSL40C or OTHER

• JTM45 RI w/attenuation

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Jubilee 2525C

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • DSL40C / DSL40CST

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other (Please Suggest below)

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

walshb

Reaction score
The 2525c has a 5W switch, crank it up on this setting and you've got fantastic tone that won't require ear plugs. Perfect for your situation, and if you will be gigging, just switch to the 20W setting. There is a reason these amps are pricey. Self biasing so no adjustments needed when changing tubes. The clean channel is also great, and can be turned into a crunch channel by pulling the rhythm clip. The input gain knob makes the amp even more versatile and fattens it up as you increase the setting. You'll have a less powerful version of the same amp often used by Slash (live), Joe Bonamassa (always uses one live), Black Crowes, Alex Lifeson, and many others.
If you can afford it, get the best and most versatile of the three. I recommend keeping the treble down around 3 or 4 because the amp can get bright very quickly. The tone knobs actually do what they're designed to do, and make a big difference.

JohnH

Reaction score
If it was me, if possible, Id happily travel 2hrs each way to compare a dsl40c an Astoria Custom and maybe the Jubilee. But if you can find a Vintage Modern combo in good condition, and check it out yourself, and the price is less than the dsl new, I can recommend it for sure.

Geeze

Reaction score
I'm looking for your opinion on which amp is best for my intended usage and sound goals.

I'm still unclear as to your sound goals even with the sound clip.

Personally I find the 'bedroom level' amp to be a myth. I have wandered the lonely low watt wasteland from 5 watt to 20 watt [and the 1/2 & 1/4 power ones too] and found them lacking in presence / girth. A 5 watt amp is still real loud when you push it in to get the so called power tube cooking.

To qualify I live in a townhouse and most of my neighbors don't know I own a guitar let alone equipment that can sterilize hipsters at 100 yards through a foot of concrete. I worship at the 50 watt and 100 watt Mighty Temple of Marshall because it meets my spiritual and tone needs completely. BTW my obsession with large amps is probably a compensation thing - I'm OK with that.

My current 'desert island / carry that f*cker out of the burning house first amp' is a JTM 45 clone NMV amp. Sparkly, chimey snappy with great big sweaty Billy Gibbons balls when cranked. At home I use a RAT for grind or an Empress Heavy for doom/death sonic mayhem and am content with the tones I get. I have a JMP & JCM 2204, a JCM 900 and the Jubilee 2555X [don't need dirt pedals for this one] and play all of them in the same satisfying fashion.

Why? You are sure to ask. Because I have determined for my taste that the large amp turned down trumps any small amp I have played at low volume. Additionally when I play out I don't have any restrictions on tone i.e. small ampitis - namely sacrifice tone for volume. Most small amps don't sound great dimed. I know much of the classic songs were recorded on small amps - AKA recorded, processed, mutilated, abused and processed some more - NOT the same.

I'm one of those weird f*ckers that want to replicate those classic tones in a life format.

One more thing - don't forget speakers. Don't don't don't don't [get it?] blow all your dough on an amp and use $40 speakers - sorry not going to work out.

I am with all of the posters that say go play as many as you can get your hands on - take your time and buy the one that grabs you.

Russ

tmingle

Reaction score
The DSL40C is a good bedroom amp. Add an MXR 10 band eq in the loop and a good OD pedal and it is a better bedroom amp. I alos chasnged the speaker to an Egnater Elite 80 that I had laying around.

PelhamSG

Reaction score

Personally I find the 'bedroom level' amp to be a myth. I have wandered the lonely low watt wasteland from 5 watt to 20 watt [and the 1/2 & 1/4 power ones too] and found them lacking in presence / girth. A 5 watt amp is still real loud when you push it in to get the so called power tube cooking.

To qualify I live in a townhouse and most of my neighbors don't know I own a guitar let alone equipment that can sterilize hipsters at 100 yards through a foot of concrete. I worship at the 50 watt and 100 watt Mighty Temple of Marshall because it meets my spiritual and tone needs completely. BTW my obsession with large amps is probably a compensation thing - I'm OK with that.

My current 'desert island / carry that f*cker out of the burning house first amp' is a JTM 45 clone NMV amp. Sparkly, chimey snappy with great big sweaty Billy Gibbons balls when cranked. At home I use a RAT for grind or an Empress Heavy for doom/death sonic mayhem and am content with the tones I get. I have a JMP & JCM 2204, a JCM 900 and the Jubilee 2555X [don't need dirt pedals for this one] and play all of them in the same satisfying fashion.

Why? You are sure to ask. Because I have determined for my taste that the large amp turned down trumps any small amp I have played at low volume. Additionally when I play out I don't have any restrictions on tone i.e. small ampitis - namely sacrifice tone for volume. Most small amps don't sound great dimed. I know much of the classic songs were recorded on small amps - AKA recorded, processed, mutilated, abused and processed some more - NOT the same.

I'm one of those weird f*ckers that want to replicate those classic tones in a life format.

One more thing - don't forget speakers. Don't don't don't don't [get it?] blow all your dough on an amp and use $40 speakers - sorry not going to work out.

I am with all of the posters that say go play as many as you can get your hands on - take your time and buy the one that grabs you.

Russ

Could I get your advice on something? I'm in a similar situation where I can't crank up my amp loudly because of the neighbors (I live in an apartment), but I've been wanting a cab to go with my DSL15C. I LOVE the tone from it, but would it be a better tone with either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab? I feel that any cab would be overkill for me, but something is making me want one lol.

johan.b

Reaction score
Get the dsl. It's a generality loved amp with great versatility at a friendly price and enough power to take you out of the bedroom. The jtm needs an attenuator or be moded to work in the bedroom and the jub...well. The jub. Is an acquiered taste...some love them, others don't.
J

Geeze

Reaction score
I LOVE the tone from it, but would it be a better tone with either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab? I feel that any cab would be overkill for me, but something is making me want one lol.

You have to kill the bounce [reverberation] - Sound hits walls / ceiling / floors and they vibrate thus transmitting the sound wave to the other side = unhappy neighbors. I push a 2x12 into the end of my padded cloth covered couch. I have to EQ it to compensate but its the best solution I have found that doesn't require more gear. I'm not a fan of attenuators as they only deliver half of the 'cranked' sound -amp but not speakers - and shorten tube life vs. what I do now.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Russ

PelhamSG

Reaction score
You have to kill the bounce [reverberation] - Sound hits walls / ceiling / floors and they vibrate thus transmitting the sound wave to the other side = unhappy neighbors. I push a 2x12 into the end of my padded cloth covered couch. I have to EQ it to compensate but its the best solution I have found that doesn't require more gear. I'm not a fan of attenuators as they only deliver half of the 'cranked' sound -amp but not speakers - and shorten tube life vs. what I do now.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Russ

Thank you for the advice sir! I think Ill just stick with the combo without a cab. I just don't have a need for more lol.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I would advise, as many have, to get the DSL40C. I do not recommend jumping in to the deep end ( big bucks) without knowing how to swim.
The DSL40 can give you excellent at home tones and becomes a big boy when you hit the stage.
Takes pedals really really well for whatever you're after genre wise. The Jubes and the JVM's et al are all excellent Marshall amplifiers which cater to different players likes & needs.
You will not after a little while say..."ah THAT is the Marshall I should have got " because with the right set up and pedals the DSL40C does a very credible job.
If worse comes to worse then your expenditure has been minimal. You will have no trouble selling the DSL40C and you can then go out and spend the big bucks for what you want.
If you can find the DSL40CV ( V for vintage ) although it may be discontinued, get it 'cause it is a real looker too!!
BP

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Hi all - new to the Forum and this is my first post. Michocaster - my suggestion is the DSL40C as well, as some have already said it's the best combination of bang for your buck and versatility. Just swap out the stock speaker (I tried a few and ended up with the Vintage 30 as my favorite in this combo, but the Classic Lead 80 and Lynchback also sound great). I have a JVM215C as well (I kept the CL80 in that one) and it's certainly not inferior, but at the same time it's not worlds better - in fact, these two amps are more similar than they are different. Considering the price difference between the two (even used) I think you'll get more for your money with the DSL. I've tried the Mini Jube a few times but haven't been able to bond with it yet (will keep trying, though!) but even used prices are still pretty high for the combo.

walshb

Reaction score
If this is about price, then as others have said, go with the DSL. You said you weren't too concerned about price. I wasn't either. Many have said they "played through a Mini Jube" but that means nothing. It's unlike other Marshalls when dialing it in, and you need to spend a little time with it, to appreciate its capabilities. Personally, I think the tone is great at low volumes also, but of course not as good as when cranked. That would certainly apply to the DSL also. I play mine mostly on the 5W setting.
I haven't owned a DSL but I have played through one several times. Yes, I got good tone out of it. You can spend less and then get a different speaker for it. If you do want "bang for the buck" go for it.
The speaker on the Jube combo is matched with the amp, and mine sounded great right out of the box, as if the speaker were already broken in. No need for speaker or tube swapping. I also have some 2x12 cabs I can plug into if I need a little more oomph, but I rarely feel the need. Then again, I'm not looking for 100W into 4x12 tone, and I don't think you are either. I just wanted a great amp for home use, but also one that could be gigged with. That's exactly what I got....in spades. Good luck with your decision!

Michocaster

Reaction score
I've been away for a while but wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to my thread with suggestions. I ended up going with the mini Jubilee combo amp after a dozen or so hours of comparing sound clips online. I bookmarked all my favorite YouTube comparison clips and then connected my laptop to a high-end stereo system. It felt just like the rigs were in the room with me and I could "feel" every adjustment in EQ made to the amps in the videos. Totally different experience than listening to the clips over cheap PC speakers. The amp will be arriving next week and I plan to post clips here once it's in along with a review of it.

The Jubilees are smooth and thick. While the 40C is more versatile, for the most part, it can be harsh outta the box, even after speaker breakin. It's considerably less money so you could change out the speaker if need be. One can EQ out much of that.
The Jube just has a different tone to it, very responsive EQ and will sit at 5 watts. Plywood construction rather than HDF, more impedance choices.
I don't know one will find an amp that you will not later say "It's missing this tone or that tone" unless you buy more amps.
Example.
A JCM800 has a great grind, they're a killer amp. ! Most guys use an OD pedal with them. The old ones have no fx loop so can be limiting that way. It might be tonal bliss for you but be lacking in versatility and does not sound nearly as good at low levels.

I had a 40C for a few years and really liked it tonally. But it didn't cover the ground that the 6101 etc does so I finally sold it. The Jubilees are warm, thick and again, such a responsive EQ. Unique in the Marshall line. You REALLY have to go try some, somewhere.

BTW, because one 40C owner called a JVM inferior in tone does not make it so. Tone is very subjective and although the JVM excels at metal, sooo many tones are in there. There's just a character to the Jubilee tone that is hard to emulate.

Thanks for the advice. Smooth and thick tone is what I was aiming for, but more importantly I didn't want any fizzy hash overlaying all my notes. I noticed the JCM800 and Jubilee clips seem to have more in common than expected. They can both be brittle or hard depending on the treble / bass settings and speakers used, but I didn't hear any fizz or hash overlaying the notes like I heard with some of the cheaper amps.

The DSL40C was actually difficult to compare. I disliked all the clips I heard of it with the stock speaker, but thought it sounded fine with a Vintage 30 or Creamback. Just not quite what I was going for overall.

Do not buy a JTM45 and install a MV, it would be a waste of a good amp. If you need a bedroom level amp, you want a MV amp designed for bedroom levels. I have no experience with the DSL40C or 2525C, but the JVM's sound very good at bedroom levels.

Ditched the MV idea. I also changed my mind on the JVM 215C. While most of the clips seem to demo it in metal OD mode, I realized after listening to more varied clips it can also do the classic Marshall tones pretty good. It's a very fine amp.

I'd be surprised if you didn't.

That said, if it's home use you are requiring an amp for I would suggest the 1 watter line.

From what I hear of your own playing I beleieve a JMP1 or JCM1, possibly with a boost, would rock your world. If a Schenker type vibe is desired those two circuits (JMP/JCM) would get you close and cover a lot of other ground as well IMO. I also think you'd be equally satisfied with the DSL1 or JVM1 given the amps you are graduating from.

Whatever you decide, I can't stress that it will be equally important to pair the amp you choose with a quality cab and speakers. Speaker choice will also be of major influence in the recipe.

Regardless, I think you will open up a whole new world by switching to a tube amp. If you choose one that can provide the amount of gain you require that is. You've got chops so you deserve it.

Make sure you get a kick ass guitar as well at some point.

Thank you. It seems the 1 watters are discontinued, but I don't like the circuit design either. The output tube is basically a preamp tube.

I bought a new American stratocaster recently. I prefer my squier strat right now until I raise the action on the AM strat. I realize this is just the way I got used to playing since the squier strat buzzes like a bee with low action, so I've been playing it ever since with literally the highest action possible. (dare I say the squier sounds better because of this also)

Michocaster

Reaction score
2525c: Killer tone and great at bedroom level.

Thanks for the suggestion!

@OP: If you are most interested in these amps, why you not spend a weekend or two looking for these amps to play in stores? Put in some time and effort in order to gain some personal experience.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you may have regret buying any of the amps you mentioned (I kinda get that vibe reading your responses. I have a suggestion: look into trying a Axe-FX or a Kemper system. Both these units might be harder to find than any of the amps in the poll, but they can do so many amazing things.

Good luck in your search.

I checked out the Axe-FX. It looks complicated but amazing. The cost puts me off for the meantime. I think you're saying that the odds of me finding a suitable tone is better in the Axe-Fx since it can do everything, right? I see your point...

Well anything you buy is gonna be an immense upgrade over your dumpy MG. Between these options it's between the DSL and Jube for sure. I don't think a JTM or 800 is what you want in your situation. Those amps need to be loud. They're not like your solid state now I mean they're pretty much unacceptable for tones at bedroom levels. And a JVM is a more high gain amp geared more towards a modern sound. Not necessarily a bad thing but again doesn't sound like what your looking for.

If you get the DSL just know that you HAVE to change the 70/80. I don't care what anyone else says it's a terrible speaker and is completely mismatched with how bright the amp is. That said a used 40c is one of the best amp values you can find. Marshall has been flagshipping the DSL series for a while now for a good reason.

But it seems like money's not an issue here so I'm voting 2525c. The new jubes are rocking little amps. You really can't go wrong with either though.

And don't get an Axe-fx or anything like that. You're on a Marshall forum and you want a Marshall so get a Marshall.

You hit the nail on that one. That's one major reason I decided on the Jubilee mini. The fact that it's on the level of a JCM 800 or other classic Marshall amps, but it's inside a compact 5 watt / 20 watt combo amp with a MV made me realize this is an ideal amp for my intentions.

The 2525c has a 5W switch, crank it up on this setting and you've got fantastic tone that won't require ear plugs. Perfect for your situation, and if you will be gigging, just switch to the 20W setting. There is a reason these amps are pricey. Self biasing so no adjustments needed when changing tubes. The clean channel is also great, and can be turned into a crunch channel by pulling the rhythm clip. The input gain knob makes the amp even more versatile and fattens it up as you increase the setting. You'll have a less powerful version of the same amp often used by Slash (live), Joe Bonamassa (always uses one live), Black Crowes, Alex Lifeson, and many others.
If you can afford it, get the best and most versatile of the three. I recommend keeping the treble down around 3 or 4 because the amp can get bright very quickly. The tone knobs actually do what they're designed to do, and make a big difference.

Totally agree. I also observed how sensitive the tone controls are. I heard people say it's a one trick pony amp, but the sensitive EQ was easily observed in the clips online.

Segeborn's videos don't offer much to me. I can't connect with his playing and everything sounds like noise to me. Not to be rude, it's just how I feel when watching his videos. Having said that... I greatly appreciate his wisdom on amps and cabinets. He mentioned how similar all the amps sound and how the speakers affect the tone more than amps. He seems to be right, because I listened to his speaker comparison videos and they seem to have more of an impact than his amp comparison videos. The amp is still critical, though, unless one plans on just throwing a blanket over a fizzy amp with a dull speaker.

The video review that I was most impressed with was this review here:

Russ

Hilarious, but very insightful post.

Speakers... Right! The quality of the speaker seems to be highly overlooked in all these head reviews. How useless is it to compare amps using totally different speaker cabinets. I found a clip online of a guy comparing the Jubilee mini in its own combo cabinet vs an external cabinet and the sheer impact and size of tone changed dramatically. It no longer sounded boxed in when cranked.

Those low powered amps you compared to your 100 watters... were those low powered heads or combos? I'm curious if you plugged those low watters into big cabinets. I found the cabinet to be the most important factor in determining "oomph" and presence. (but nothing at all to do with actual fizz, hash, tone, etc - which is my main concern)

If this is about price, then as others have said, go with the DSL. You said you weren't too concerned about price. I wasn't either. Many have said they "played through a Mini Jube" but that means nothing. It's unlike other Marshalls when dialing it in, and you need to spend a little time with it, to appreciate its capabilities. Personally, I think the tone is great at low volumes also, but of course not as good as when cranked. That would certainly apply to the DSL also. I play mine mostly on the 5W setting.
I haven't owned a DSL but I have played through one several times. Yes, I got good tone out of it. You can spend less and then get a different speaker for it. If you do want "bang for the buck" go for it.
The speaker on the Jube combo is matched with the amp, and mine sounded great right out of the box, as if the speaker were already broken in. No need for speaker or tube swapping. I also have some 2x12 cabs I can plug into if I need a little more oomph, but I rarely feel the need. Then again, I'm not looking for 100W into 4x12 tone, and I don't think you are either. I just wanted a great amp for home use, but also one that could be gigged with. That's exactly what I got....in spades. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. I ended up going with your reasoning on this. I wanted something I could just plug in straight out of the box and be done with it. I'll be sure to post my own impressions of the amp here once it comes in. I wanted to reply to everyone before it came in so I have someone to blame if it doesn't work out. Ha! Joking. : )

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Good job! It's an excellent choice! I got a 2525H as well to have it before they decide to discontinue them! It really does sound a lot like the old 87 I have albeit smaller. The EQ is the same, so effective! It can be used as a 2 channel depending how you like things of course.
With the addition of an OD pedal it can really be versatile although I love mine as is.
Rock it!!

ken361

Reaction score
Most people have the DSL40 were wrong including me! They bias it way too hot 30 works great. After 2 years I went back to stock. Just 8 hrs on the stock speaker is warm as the WGS speakers I have used but the 70 80 has the mids and bite over those and even went back to the stock preamp tubes! At first new it was bright but amp breaking in and its totally better now.I had a JVM and played the Jub. Iam still digging the DSL!!
Dropped the ET 65 back in:) only had 20hrs on the 70 80 the ET is more open sounding and better mids. Creamback would be nice though. Only playing loud on the weekends doesn't give me much time as I would like

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
Congrats on the nice map! I just want to remind you, if you ever have a regret that you missed the NMV JTM with attenuator setup, you kind of still can. You can use Most modern channel switching amps with attenuators. The DSLs, 800s, 900s all sound great when you use the clean channels and just crank them up with an attenuator. It gives a totally different sound that you may like. No hurry though, you have lots to play with already. Enjoy.

Geeze

Reaction score
Those low powered amps you compared to your 100 watters... were those low powered heads or combos? I'm curious if you plugged those low watters into big cabinets. I found the cabinet to be the most important factor in determining "oomph" and presence.

I'm a head guy - every amp I have owned has been run through 2x12's and 4x12's and a whole host of other nutty sh*t I have convinced myself to build from 8" speakers on up.

I'm going to disagree on the cab being the most important. To me after 17 amps and 16 speaker cabs the amp is 70%, speakers 25% and the cab maybe 5%. Not to say 'small' amps don't sound good in general - they don't have the tone I crave. To put it in car terms a 700 HP V8 just sounds better to me than a 700 HP Japanese or German car.

When I get to light up this wall of pain - pure sonic bliss.

DSC_0384_zpsamgl71u1.jpg

Russ

Michocaster

Reaction score
Congratz!

Hope to hear it in action. KLIPS!

Clips coming soon! Thanks.

Good job! It's an excellent choice! I got a 2525H as well to have it before they decide to discontinue them! It really does sound a lot like the old 87 I have albeit smaller. The EQ is the same, so effective! It can be used as a 2 channel depending how you like things of course.
With the addition of an OD pedal it can really be versatile although I love mine as is.
Rock it!!

Thanks. I heard when the push / pull switch is engaged it has diode clipping but when it's not engaged then it's basically an all-tube signal path. Is that right? I heard it comes with Tung-Sol tubes from the factory. Is changing tubes mandatory?

Congrats on the nice map! I just want to remind you, if you ever have a regret that you missed the NMV JTM with attenuator setup, you kind of still can. You can use Most modern channel switching amps with attenuators. The DSLs, 800s, 900s all sound great when you use the clean channels and just crank them up with an attenuator. It gives a totally different sound that you may like. No hurry though, you have lots to play with already. Enjoy.

That's a good idea worth trying.

I'm a head guy - every amp I have owned has been run through 2x12's and 4x12's and a whole host of other nutty sh*t I have convinced myself to build from 8" speakers on up.

I'm going to disagree on the cab being the most important. To me after 17 amps and 16 speaker cabs the amp is 70%, speakers 25% and the cab maybe 5%. Not to say 'small' amps don't sound good in general - they don't have the tone I crave. To put it in car terms a 700 HP V8 just sounds better to me than a 700 HP Japanese or German car.

When I get to light up this wall of pain - pure sonic bliss.

DSC_0384_zpsamgl71u1.jpg

Russ

Great wall of pain right there. Do you have any sound clips of your rig? I meant to say that the speakers are important, not the cabinet they're in. I loosely (incorrectly) interchange the words, but I meant the speakers themselves. I've listened to shootouts between various amps online (all high level Marshall amps) and it's easy to forget the differences with my eyes closed, but on the speaker comparisons videos using the same amp connected there seemed to be a more noticeable difference. It could just be the way Segeborn's videos are, because to me most of his comparison videos are too harsh and noisy. (everything sounds the same)