What speaker to pair the Mini Silver Jubilee?

• Thread starter Damjan R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Damjan R

Reaction score
Longer question:
This is my first post and I hope someone helps me decide because this is my first tube amp that I will personally own and this looked like the best place to ask so I hope that by the end of the week I have bought the amp and cab plus everything else I need so no more borrowing amps because I have my own! I got the amp down now just what speakers?

I am mainly a cleanish Fender amp type of guy but after a lot of research and comparing I stumbled across the Mini Jubilee and after countless reviews what impressed me the most was the flexibility of it.
Considering that it would be my amp for everything from home, studio, band practice (jazz band and cover band from pop to hard rock) and also live with a mic trough PA it just seems perfect to me and also with 2 channels so I could probably just be happy with a two side boost and multi effect for modulation and thats more then enough for me covering a lot of genres unlike a Fender with a milion overdrives on the board (my personal opinion and buying the Jubilee will probably help me sell 90% of my overdrives).

Now the question is what speakers work for them? I know that they are voiced with v30's in mind but honestly I was never a fan of that speaker and it never rly clicked for me and I appreciate a speaker that is versatile because i need it to be from "cristal" cleans to somewhat heavier overdrive (rarely in the metal category).

A 1x12 seemed too small for me 4x12 not practical at all so in the middle a 2x12 seems logical for my needs more or less. Then after I found out that they made a matching vertical cab for it with with UK made Marshall v30's. And it is the most expensive Marshall 2x12 in the range but is it really worth it for the speakers considering that v30's are not rly my thing but I do keep in mind that they sound different from normal v30's (for better or worse idk never heard them so if someone has let me know).

The other option is the SV212 with V-types and tbh I would be more happy to put the head on that because personally it looks more killer then the Jubilee cab but a lot of people have said to stay away from those... Why so? From what I heard online people say that it is a balanced speaker and a mix of both a v30 or greenback or others dislike it completely. I would love to hear thoughts on the SV212 with the V-types because it looks killer and I would save about 100€ from buying that option. But if the speakers are "as bad" as some people say they are then I don't really have the money to swap in other speakers right now and are the V-types even good for a Jubilee?

The third option would be to buy the much cheaper made in VN 2x12 and sell the speakers in that and buy something else but I would probably sacrifice the quality of the cab so maybe better not to pick that option.

Question made short:
So the question is for versatility and flexibility (because I really need it) from clean cleans to harder overdriven tones what would be a better pick the UK v30's or V-types?
Also if anybody thinks that both speakers are not what I am looking for what else would you recommend? Keep in mind that I don't plan to mix speakers because I want a consistent sound and I would be mic up only one speaker live anyways.

Tincup

Reaction score

PelliX

Reaction score
A 1x12 seemed too small for me 4x12 not practical at all so in the middle a 2x12 seems logical for my needs more or less. Then after I found out that they made a matching vertical cab for it with with UK made Marshall v30's. And it is the most expensive Marshall 2x12 in the range but is it really worth it for the speakers considering that v30's are not rly my thing but I do keep in mind that they sound different from normal v30's (for better or worse idk never heard them so if someone has let me know).

Is there a big price difference between the jube 2x12 and the SC/SV 2x12's where you're at? Here they're about the same, give or take a tenner (also Europe). The V30's are simply Celestion V30's. I'm not aware of Celestion making any special revisions for Marshall.

The other option is the SV212 with V-types and tbh I would be more happy to put the head on that because personally it looks more killer then the Jubilee cab

Agree :D (from an optical perspective, but I never dug the Silver thing).

but a lot of people have said to stay away from those... Why so?

I've never heard that personally, they're fine cabs and speakers...

From what I heard online people say that it is a balanced speaker and a mix of both a v30 or greenback or others dislike it completely.

That's a pretty good description. Of course, different people, different tastes, etc.

I would love to hear thoughts on the SV212 with the V-types because it looks killer and I would save about 100€ from buying that option. But if the speakers are "as bad" as some people say they are then I don't really have the money to swap in other speakers right now and are the V-types even good for a Jubilee?

I have the SC212, which is the same as the SV except for the optics. I was a little dubious at first, but took the plunge with the idea that I could sell and swap the speakers if I so desired. So far, I've been very positively surprised and still have no plans to do so.

The third option would be to buy the much cheaper made in VN 2x12 and sell the speakers in that and buy something else but I would probably sacrifice the quality of the cab so maybe better not to pick that option.

The MX212 is an OK cab, but the Seventy/80 speakers in it are pretty poor. That's common concensus (I've had some, too, FWIW) though MAYBE somebody out there likes them... :shrug:

If you get any of the other cabs, you would have the option of selling the speakers and swapping them. With the MX, you're likely going to sit on the original speakers for a long time if you replace them.

curt miller

Reaction score
Longer question:
This is my first post and I hope someone helps me decide because this is my first tube amp that I will personally own and this looked like the best place to ask so I hope that by the end of the week I have bought the amp and cab plus everything else I need so no more borrowing amps because I have my own! I got the amp down now just what speakers?

I am mainly a cleanish Fender amp type of guy but after a lot of research and comparing I stumbled across the Mini Jubilee and after countless reviews what impressed me the most was the flexibility of it.
Considering that it would be my amp for everything from home, studio, band practice (jazz band and cover band from pop to hard rock) and also live with a mic trough PA it just seems perfect to me and also with 2 channels so I could probably just be happy with a two side boost and multi effect for modulation and thats more then enough for me covering a lot of genres unlike a Fender with a milion overdrives on the board (my personal opinion and buying the Jubilee will probably help me sell 90% of my overdrives).

Now the question is what speakers work for them? I know that they are voiced with v30's in mind but honestly I was never a fan of that speaker and it never rly clicked for me and I appreciate a speaker that is versatile because i need it to be from "cristal" cleans to somewhat heavier overdrive (rarely in the metal category).

The other option is the SV212 with V-types and tbh I would be more happy to put the head on that because personally it looks more killer then the Jubilee cab but a lot of people have said to stay away from those... Why so? From what I heard online people say that it is a balanced speaker and a mix of both a v30 or greenback or others dislike it completely. I would love to hear thoughts on the SV212 with the V-types because it looks killer and I would save about 100€ from buying that option. But if the speakers are "as bad" as some people say they are then I don't really have the money to swap in other speakers right now and are the V-types even good for a Jubilee?

Question made short:
So the question is for versatility and flexibility (because I really need it) from clean cleans to harder overdriven tones what would be a better pick the UK v30's or V-types?
Also if anybody thinks that both speakers are not what I am looking for what else would you recommend? Keep in mind that I don't plan to mix speakers because I want a consistent sound and I would be mic up only one speaker live anyways.
I'd go with Scumback BM75 65 speakers in Avatar closed back cabinets.

PelliX

Reaction score
Also, manners. :welcome: !

Let us know how things pan out in the end. :yesway:

Damjan R

Reaction score
Is there a big price difference between the jube 2x12 and the SC/SV 2x12's where you're at? Here they're about the same, give or take a tenner (also Europe). The V30's are simply Celestion V30's. I'm not aware of Celestion making any special revisions for Marshall.

Agree :D (from an optical perspective, but I never dug the Silver thing).

I've never heard that personally, they're fine cabs and speakers...

That's a pretty good description. Of course, different people, different tastes, etc.

I have the SC212, which is the same as the SV except for the optics. I was a little dubious at first, but took the plunge with the idea that I could sell and swap the speakers if I so desired. So far, I've been very positively surprised and still have no plans to do so.

The MX212 is an OK cab, but the Seventy/80 speakers in it are pretty poor. That's common concensus (I've had some, too, FWIW) though MAYBE somebody out there likes them... :shrug:

If you get any of the other cabs, you would have the option of selling the speakers and swapping them. With the MX, you're likely going to sit on the original speakers for a long time if you replace them.
Hello thank you for the reply :)

Honestly the SV212 cab is winning me over in looks but I am really anxious about the speakers in it and if it would fill my needs. You said that you own the other cab in the series with V-types how so that you would still leave them in there and could you convince me to do the same at least for a while xD.

I didn't get it from the post do you also own a Mini Jubilee because honestly I have no idea if V-types are the right speakers and myb down the line change it to something from the creamback lineup becuase that seems more logical to me then going for the V30's. For what they are do you think that V-types are versatile? And if you could recommend some other speakers down the line if I find a need to change them if I really go for the SV212. Thanks!

Deftone

Reaction score
:welcome:

FWIW I have a 10w handwired mini Jub clone. I put it on top of a 2061 style 2x12 with a V30/G12H Anniversary and it sounds amazing. I also tried it with a 1966 2x12 with G12T-75's...also good but not as good.

If I was looking for a cab I would get a 2061 from Sourmash (unfinished and I would roll on Duratex) and go with the V30/G12H Anniversary combo. OR look for a 1965 (4x10's) or 1966 cab on CL

PelliX

Reaction score
I didn't get it from the post do you also own a Mini Jubilee

Negative, I don't.

because honestly I have no idea if V-types are the right speakers and myb down the line change it to something from the creamback lineup becuase that seems more logical to me then going for the V30's.

Changing speakers... is always possible. The point I was making, was that you can flog the V-Types as opposed to the Seventy/80's. :)

For what they are do you think that V-types are versatile? And if you could recommend some other speakers down the line if I find a need to change them if I really go for the SV212. Thanks!

Yes, I've been using them with both the SC20 as well as my AC15. I like them so far... :yesway:

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
I run mine on top of a Vox 212 (2 Greenbacks so 50watt). I also have a 2x12 Avatar Custom Order with a V30 + Creamback (120watt), and a 1x12 with a Celestion Gold (50watt) and one with a Celestion G12-35XC 90th Anniversary (my favorite speaker, should have bought 4+ instead of 1 when they were discontinued, 35watt), sounds great through all of them.

My vote would be for whatever works best to get you a 2x12, the Marshal upright ones are stupid overpriced IMO. Looks great but just absurd cost.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
V30s seem to fit Jubilees well. Jubes can have a darker sound to them where the EQs are set etc and V30s work great.
The original Marshall branded V30s are slightly different and I believe the Jubilee cabs have those? That is what is in my original 87 Jube and they are super.
That said, the V type in the SC212 seem to do pretty well too. Ya gotta listen and see. Plus they will change a bit once broken in.
Enjoy the mini Jubilee!

Damjan R

Reaction score
V30s seem to fit Jubilees well. Jubes can have a darker sound to them where the EQs are set etc and V30s work great.
The original Marshall branded V30s are slightly different and I believe the Jubilee cabs have those? That is what is in my original 87 Jube and they are super.
That said, the V type in the SC212 seem to do pretty well too. Ya gotta listen and see. Plus they will change a bit once broken in.
Enjoy the mini Jubilee!
I just ordered the amp! Honestly might make a post and ask someone to take a picture if they have the mini jubilee head with the SV212 cab just so I can make my final pick but yeah honestly I would rather take the SV or SC cab over the matching one because unlike the amp head (love the silver look) I don't like the cab.

"Worst case scenario if I really hate the V-types (what I doubt after reading some posts) I could change the speakers after a longish time.

Do you think that any of the creambacks would work with the Jubilee? Mainly talking about the G12H-75 or the G12M-65 because I have no idea what else I would replace them with if I find the need to do so.

Last edited:

Dave J

Reaction score
Good timing for this thread as I am considering a 2x12 for my Mini Jubilee. Something from Marshall or maybe from Stage Craft or Mojotone. I have a pair of V30's from the late 90's as well as a pair of newer Greenbacks so the speakers are less of a concern for me than the build quality of the cab.
Is the SV/SC/ Mini 2x12 generally a better cab than the Origin or MX 2x12's? I know sound can be subjective but asking from a weight and durability perspective. I gotta schlep whatever I get up and down a flight of stairs so weight is a consideration. Also the cab builders I mentioned make their 2x12's a bit bigger. I don't want to think I am getting close to a 4x12 but end up too boomy and undefined. Running my Jubilee head into a big partially open 1x12 right now with a V30 and that speaker seems to suit the amp well.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I just ordered the amp! Honestly might make a post and ask someone to take a picture if they have the mini jubilee head with the SV212 cab just so I can make my final pick but yeah honestly I would rather take the SV or SC cab over the matching one because unlike the amp head (love the silver look) I don't like the cab.

"Worst case scenario if I really hate the V-types (what I doubt after reading some posts) I could change the speakers after a longish time.

Do you think that any of the creambacks would work with the Jubilee? Mainly talking about the G12H-75 or the G12M-65 because I have no idea what else I would replace them with if I find the need to do so.
Haven't tried but my 12M65 is fairly dark sounding. Nice low end thump, sure, but not as bright as V30s.

I have the blue SC20 cab and while certainly not matchung, I think black would look better, it fits well and makes a statement! I have the blue SC20H thus the cab.

Damjan R

Reaction score
Haven't tried but my 12M65 is fairly dark sounding. Nice low end thump, sure, but not as bright as V30s.

I have the blue SC20 cab and while certainly not matchung, I think black would look better, it fits well and makes a statement! I have the blue SC20H thus the cab.
Thank you a lot for this it gave me a perspective! I think that honestly the SV212 can work with the Jubilee head because of the gold and silver combo but thats my opinion. Myb the SC212 is the better option in full black but eh still think that the SV looks better. Thank you again!

MP+

Reaction score
Anything up to 70% of experienced members will bag it out, but I like the G12 - 75T. As a 25/50 Jub. home practice/ recording player for many years, I just felt that the 75T did all the right things at the right frequencies. Not surprising when you consider that the 75T was the standard speaker with all speaker configurations in the original issues. I started out with a JCM800 quadbox loaded with 4x75T's and never really thought it matched the Amp. Seemed to add extra compression which took away some of the raw dynamics. What did work better than anything else to me is the home made open back cab loaded with a single 8 ohm 75T. I set the Amp up on a dummy load and oscilloscope to check out what was happening with the output and found that maximum power was pumped out with the 8 ohm output selected on the selector switch. The small Jubilees are possibly the quietest Amps. Marshall released. Just didn't cut through over the drums in a live situation, nowhere near the output of my JCM800 1987 50 watt. The point being, you really want to maximise efficiency with your speaker set up. Open back is more efficient than closed back. I would try something like an open back Orange cab. loaded with an 8 ohm G75T 12 inch, preferably an old one with the cone either in good shape or re-coned if you can track one down.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Anything up to 70% of experienced members will bag it out, but I like the G12 - 75T. As a 25/50 Jub. home practice/ recording player for many years, I just felt that the 75T did all the right things at the right frequencies. Not surprising when you consider that the 75T was the standard speaker with all speaker configurations in the original issues. I started out with a JCM800 quadbox loaded with 4x75T's and never really thought it matched the Amp. Seemed to add extra compression which took away some of the raw dynamics. What did work better than anything else to me is the home made open back cab loaded with a single 8 ohm 75T. I set the Amp up on a dummy load and oscilloscope to check out what was happening with the output and found that maximum power was pumped out with the 8 ohm output selected on the selector switch. The small Jubilees are possibly the quietest Amps. Marshall released. Just didn't cut through over the drums in a live situation, nowhere near the output of my JCM800 1987 50 watt. The point being, you really want to maximise efficiency with your speaker set up. Open back is more efficient than closed back. I would try something like an open back Orange cab. loaded with an 8 ohm G75T 12 inch, preferably an old one with the cone either in good shape or re-coned if you can track one down.
V30s being 3 dB higher sensitivity than T75s they might be a good bet from the output perspective.
I like T75s too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Longer question:

Question made short:
Get the matching jube 2x12 cab