• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What The Hell Is Diode Clipping????

• Thread starter travismbrown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
DIdn't Jason Becker use a 900 on DLR Skyscraper? If he used it, Im sure it has mass potential. Plus, that tone he got, feels like paradise or something, sounds nice and classic-open sounding in the intro, open chordal tones, very early marshall sounding

i thought that steve vai played on the skyscraper .
and i was under the impession that becker used ADA rack stuff , but i could
be wrong on that .:hmm:

Adwex

Reaction score
DIdn't Jason Becker use a 900 on DLR Skyscraper? If he used it, Im sure it has mass potential. Plus, that tone he got, feels like paradise or something, sounds nice and classic-open sounding in the intro, open chordal tones, very early marshall sounding

Jason Becker? I think you meant Steve Vai.

*edit* oops, hot tubes beat me to it.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Yep.

I went through a serious problem during one musical phase in my life. I heard Steve Vai one time and I was hooked. I had to learn everything about that guy. All I did for 2 years is listen to and read about Vai. It was a good learning experience but sometimes I feel like I had tunnel vision.

Since I was a kid I have always loved all kinds of music, Jazz, New Age, Classical, Rock, Brit Rock (old and new) Metal, some Techno, Mowtown and everything in between but those two years it was like I was in some kind of trance.

Anyway, Those diodes are on order.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
... grasshoppers chirping in the background.:shock:

Don't get me wrong fellas. Vai kicks serious ass. I still have all his albums.
I'd like to see him live sometime.

Actually, G3 would be cool, I couldn't decide Between Satch -Vai and Johnson
or Satch-Vai and Petrucci, I really dig Malmsteen but I didn't like some of his interaction with the other two.

I would also loved to have seen Clapton, Paige and Beck but that's another story.

Soooo, we good?

Diodes will be delivered with some new pots, they are showing their age.

Thanks for all the help. And if you ever see me on a small tour with an R&B group, don't worry, there WILL be a Marshall in the truck.:)

stargazer76

Reaction score
What's happ'nin sojatriani?
I live in north Dallas, And am refurbishing my 900-4100. Re-tube, bias, mod maybe? I would love to get a few of those references. I am only aware of one tech on Commerce in Dallas. Really would like a choice........
Also, for any and all out there, the diode clipping I assume is accomplished by the four LED's in the preamp section? But there is also a diode bridge just after the boost channels IC6. What's that for? What mods can be done on the diode clipping part to make it sound smoother?
Thanks sojatriani!

Bluesfella

Reaction score
Hi guys, I ran into this thread through Google. It's a very interesting read. I didn't knew all this about distortion. I currently have the Kustom 100DFX. A 100W solid state 212 combo. I bought it in the first place because it sounded almost as warm as a tube amp, and after reading some of the posts here, I understand why. Many solid states sound dead and lifeless compared to it. The clean is really clean, and the distortion rocks. Really nice vintage rock sound. I love it, it never let me down and it's scary loud. But, every time I plug my Strat into a true tube amp, I know that I'm missing something.

So, I'm about to buy my first tube amp, and I decided it has to be a Marshall. I tried many beautiful amps out there but the Marshalls always have something unique about them. I love the sound of the eighties rock bands. I'm a huge fan of Slash's sound, so I automatically thought of the JCM800. I asked a guy about it and he told me the following.

The early model with one channel (2203 and 2204 I believe) can be modded with an extra tube to get the "Appetite for Destruction" sound. The later models with two channels can't, because they have this diode bridge distortion. This puzzled me because I've also read somewhere that Slash used the 2225 Silver amps on the Use Your Illusion albums, which I read here use that diode bridge distortion also.

I'm looking for a mean, gnarling distortion sound, that also sounds very 'tubey'. Listen to the solo on "back off bitch" to hear what I mean, it's almost hollow sounding. Not looking for fat, bassy (nu)metal sounds. I want a thin, mean, warm TUBE sound.

But, I'd also like to know how good this amp is suited for subtle blues stuff. I like turning down the volume on my guitar to get a bluesy sound.

I'm currently looking at the combo version, the 4210 (same amp as the 2210). I don't have the room and money for a seperate head + cab. Besides, a cab can always later be added because the amps themselves are the same (I've been told). I can get one 2nd hand for €450, but totally trashed and with needed maintence and tube replacement. How good of a deal is this?

The 2555 I don't even mention. I'm still a college guy with no money and a love for Rock & Roll, haha. Maybe someday.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
I saw your comment and I was waiting for the others. Trust me they will get to you. Plus, evidently I have too much to say:eek:.

In this thread I had made a comment about adding a tube in place of the diodes on one of my channels but I won't persue that idea without my tech. I am going to make a call after I try the diodes and see what he says.

All I am doing is waiting on my diodes via "snailmail". I'll just pull the old ones pop in the new and see how it sounds. I'm doing it this way so I will learn, otherwise I would forgo the diodes and go straight to a tube. But if this improves the sound then I will keep it that way for a while.

I had a 2210. It was touch sensitive to a point but I sold it and started modding my Jubilee.

On my amp I did two things to help the touch sensitive aspect in addition to being able to back off my volume and get more of a blues tone.

In my first preamp slot I put a 5751 which will work in a 12ax7 circuit . That backed off the gain just slightly but made it sound more transparent and responsive when I used my GTR volume.

Then my tech pulled the solid state rectifier and droped in a tube. There was more to it but that was basically the mod.

I did it because of how a power tube can draw from the rectifier. If a rectifier will supply voltage quickly then that shortens the rise time so there won't be any sag, or very little. SS rectifiers will provide immediate voltage to the tubes.

A tube rectifier will take longer and change the sustain and feel of an amp because it takes longer to supply the voltage needed, approx. 1/2 to almost a full second.

That is a very crude neanderthal explanation of one of the mods done to my amp to make it fit my needs. Having this done is contingent upon the ability of the amp.

Some will say that ss rectifiers are more reliable. I have never had a problem whith my 5AR4. Giving a tube rectifier an implied unreliability is about the same as also tagging power and preamp tubes with negative stigma.

See? I warned you, I seem to have too much to say these days.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Hi guys, I ran into this thread through Google. It's a very interesting read. I didn't knew all this about distortion. I currently have the Kustom 100DFX. A 100W solid state 212 combo. I bought it in the first place because it sounded almost as warm as a tube amp, and after reading some of the posts here, I understand why. Many solid states sound dead and lifeless compared to it. The clean is really clean, and the distortion rocks. Really nice vintage rock sound. I love it, it never let me down and it's scary loud. But, every time I plug my Strat into a true tube amp, I know that I'm missing something.

So, I'm about to buy my first tube amp, and I decided it has to be a Marshall. I tried many beautiful amps out there but the Marshalls always have something unique about them. I love the sound of the eighties rock bands. I'm a huge fan of Slash's sound, so I automatically thought of the JCM800. I asked a guy about it and he told me the following.

The early model with one channel (2203 and 2204 I believe) can be modded with an extra tube to get the "Appetite for Destruction" sound. The later models with two channels can't, because they have this diode bridge distortion. This puzzled me because I've also read somewhere that Slash used the 2225 Silver amps on the Use Your Illusion albums, which I read here use that diode bridge distortion also.

I'm looking for a mean, gnarling distortion sound, that also sounds very 'tubey'. Listen to the solo on "back off bitch" to hear what I mean, it's almost hollow sounding. Not looking for fat, bassy (nu)metal sounds. I want a thin, mean, warm TUBE sound.

But, I'd also like to know how good this amp is suited for subtle blues stuff. I like turning down the volume on my guitar to get a bluesy sound.

I'm currently looking at the combo version, the 4210 (same amp as the 2210). I don't have the room and money for a seperate head + cab. Besides, a cab can always later be added because the amps themselves are the same (I've been told). I can get one 2nd hand for €450, but totally trashed and with needed maintence and tube replacement. How good of a deal is this?

The 2555 I don't even mention. I'm still a college guy with no money and a love for Rock & Roll, haha. Maybe someday.

Kinda curious about how you equated Slash with the JCM800?

Save up for a used vintage modern. Why used? Because it will already have the kins worked out of it if any existed hopefully, be broken in, and be cheaper AND it will still be under warranty since the warranty is 5 years and transferable.

That's the amps Slash uses nowadays.

And it's far cheaper the a Jubilee no doubt!

Hollowbody

Reaction score
It is, but maybe Bluesfella is referring to "Appetite For Destruction".

Actually he is, I had to re-read his post.

Last edited:

Hollowbody

Reaction score
As far as I know, the Jub's and the 800's power section are very similar, if not the same. The Jub's preamp is what makes it stand out.

That's what I thought.

Besides, Slash didn't use a Jubilee for their first album.

He used a 100W Marshall Super Tremolo Model 1959T pre-master volume model. Marshall manufactured and shiped the silver only in 1987 and did the same with the black ones in 1988.

Guns and Roses recorded Appetite between Aug. and Dec. of 1986 so it would have been impossible. I can see where Bluesfella is coming from especially since many people associate with that first GnR breakthrough album.

Slash did use the Jubilee almost exclusively after that, even his signature amp was a reissue Jubilee.
I'm stating the obvious.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
back in the 80's most of us had Super Leads, or other Plexi's
mainly because they were the only ones we could afford
but they sure sounded great

(back in those days a used Plexi was pretty cheap)

Hollowbody

Reaction score
back in the 80's most of us had Super Leads, or other Plexi's
mainly because they were the only ones we could afford
but they sure sounded great

(back in those days a used Plexi was pretty cheap)

Yeah, those were the days. I'm still ignorant when it comes to a plexi. Never had the opportunity nor was it necessary but it would be nice to have one.

Funny thing, I read that the amp Slash used was a metal panel.

I'm not a Slash groupie, I only had that first album. I guess I remember almost everything I read.

...geez, a lot of good it has done me.:rolleyes:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Kinda curious about how you equated Slash with the JCM800?

That's what Slash used for Appetite for Destruction.

Live, I believe that Slash has always brought out a JCM 800 on the road with him, in combination with the Jubilee, but I'm no Slash expert. One thing is for sure, AFD doesn't have the Jubilee on it.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Yeah I see that but that's just for that album and he rented a bunch of different amps for AFD IIRC and according to his bio it was catch as catch could because the place(s) they rented their gear from didn't always have the same stuff available from one session to the next, and it certainly is not the amp he is synonymous with as an artist.

Latest posts