• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What The Hell Is Diode Clipping????

• Thread starter travismbrown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
the jubs are a kin to the 800 chassis , are they not ?

The Jubilee IS a JCM 800 2204/2203, with some mods. The power section is identical. The differences are in the preamp section.

A relay to switch between an extra gain stage or not.
The extra clipping via diodes (LEDs).
Some minor mods to get more juice out of the 12AX7s (Pretty sure its V2)
A slightly revised EQ.
An Effect loop.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
true story ........even when my pals jub was tuned up and sounding good my
2210 sounded as good , it had more gain for sure. my pal always liked the
sound of my 2210 better .

don't matter really ......as long as they MARSHALL on them ........its all good !!!!

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Kinda curious about how you equated Slash with the JCM800?

Yeah I see that but that's just for that album and he rented a bunch of different amps for AFD IIRC and according to his bio it was catch as catch could because the place(s) they rented their gear from didn't always have the same stuff available from one session to the next, and it certainly is not the amp he is synonymous with as an artist.

I still don't get the logic here, why are you so curious?

You say you don't understand how someone is able to equate Slash with a JCM800 at the same time point out that he is synonymous with the Jubilee but also cite Slash as having used all these different amps?

None of this is contradictory but it does prove a couple of things.

The obvious is that this amp is only part of his tone.

Also, likely or not if Bluesfella managed to find a great deal on an amp to have modded for a certain tone then he should. Nothing against the Vintage Modern and getting a used one is a good idea but sometimes there could be more options if he keeps his eyes open

We all know Slash identifies with the Jubilee but I wouldn't get tunnel vision. I have no intention of trying to sound like him and I use a Jubilee.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
We all know Slash identifies with the Jubilee but I wouldn't get tunnel vision. I have no intention of trying to sound like him and I use a Jubilee.

Yeah. Same here. I really like the Jubilee but I sound nothing like Slash, nor do I want to sound like him.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Yeah. Same here. I really like the Jubilee but I sound nothing like Slash, nor do I want to sound like him.

Yeah, hopefully people won't want to sound like anyone else unless they are doing covers or it's just a starting point for their own sound which isin't a bad idea. I just came off a 72 hour Alice in Chains binge, which, no offense to anyone this is just my opinion KILLS GnR, very tempting to copy. Could be apples and oranges I don't know. Actually I switch between Alice and Al Di Meola all day, I do that, like to break it up a little.I know they used Bogners, wonder if they used any Marshalls too.

Those diodes have arrived, I'm all excited so I am putting it out on this forum before I even install. I have to use the amp on Mon. and Tue. so I'm not taking a chance screwing it up till Wed.

:)

I'm very happy right now. Marshalls are without question and beyond doubt the king of amplifiers.

Last edited:

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
Marshall Amplification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... Is this true? Contrary to everything I have been told about the JCM2000 series regarding the use of diode clipping, Wikipedia says, "Marshall currently produces a wide range of amps with the distinctive looks and sound of the Marshall valve amp. The longest running "current" model is the JCM2000 range, which is split into the two channel and three channel series, known as the Dual and Triple Super Leads respectively. These amps are a continuation of the JCM800 and 900 series, although the controversial diode clipping circuit used in the later 800 and 900 amps has been removed in favor of additional valve gain stages."

What's the skinny on this?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The longest running "current" model is the JCM2000 range, which is split into the two channel and three channel series, known as the Dual and Triple Super Leads respectively. These amps are a continuation of the JCM800 and 900 series, although the controversial diode clipping circuit used in the later 800 and 900 amps has been removed in favor of additional valve gain stages."

The JCM 800 2210/2205 and the JCM 900 (except the SL-X) all had diodes in the signal path to add more clipping, as did the Silver Jubilee and JCM Slash.

The JCM 2000 series was the first line of amplifiers that re-introduced the all valve signal path with no diode clipping. Bufferring of the effects loop and reverb circuit use solid state devices but these devices are not used for tone shaping purposes.

WrenchDevil6

Reaction score
So, wouldn't you say that it was the SL-X and not the 2000's that reintroduced the all valve signal path? While I see your point of the 2000's being the first "full" line to re-introduce it, I don't think that the SL-X should have to suffer the fate of ignorance because it bears the JCM900 nomenclature.

Ignorance is used here because those who do not know what the SL-X is, are ignorant to the facts about it. I am in not way making an inference to anyone's intellect.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
I agree the SL-X is a monster, one would need to yield gross incompetence to make it sound bad.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
These amps are a continuation of the JCM800 and 900 series, although the controversial diode clipping circuit used in the later 800 and 900 amps has been removed in favor of additional valve gain stages."

I think the "controversy" is irrelevant.

I know there are dozens of albums that I have loved for years that have diode clipping. The presence of solid state components is not bad, but in my opinion the absence of tubes is.

The reason I am trying to mod my amplifiers's clipping section is because I have done an awful lot to make my tone as good as I can with what I have and if I can squeeze a bit more out of my gear then I will try.

Believe me, if it sounds worse then I will put it back and if someone digs their tone without screwing with the amp then they are better off.

steelhorse

Reaction score
I still don't get the logic here, why are you so curious?

You say you don't understand how someone is able to equate Slash with a JCM800 at the same time point out that he is synonymous with the Jubilee but also cite Slash as having used all these different amps?

None of this is contradictory but it does prove a couple of things.

The obvious is that this amp is only part of his tone.

Also, likely or not if Bluesfella managed to find a great deal on an amp to have modded for a certain tone then he should. Nothing against the Vintage Modern and getting a used one is a good idea but sometimes there could be more options if he keeps his eyes open

I live the no TV creed which is why I have many amps.

fwiw, no one artist relies on a single amp for his sound, I realize that, heck I hope we all realize this.

Backstage is usually a trailer load of gear all tied in to create their own individual sound.

Case in point, Hetfield is said to have used Mesa IIC's I think it was for the basis of his tone, but take a look at his racks and you'll have other amps that are rarely mentioned in the publications.

Tremonti, another huge Mesa proponent and in his racks are a few Bogners as well as other amps for his live and recording gear.

However, take Slash for example since this is where I was drawn in, check out the majority of his recent demo clips, Guitar Player clips, his public appearances, his shows and there is a consistent theme there.

The Vintage Modern.

I'm a fan but I'm more a fan of a lot of other artists and I bought the VM because it happens to nail VR, GNR amongst a few others tones quite well imo so I didn't get it because of him in fact it took me quite some time and testing to finally get one.

I also bought a 2555 stack back in 87 when they first came out. Why? Because they looked cool. I lived in Anchorage at the time so I didn't exactly have the luxury of trying one out then.

Anyway, regardless of what the Jubilee may be based on when someone asks; 'hey what amps did/does Slash play?' Most don't respond by saying it's the JCM800, anyone who knows anything about his gear will say it's the Jubilee, his sig amp, or the VM.

That's my point. :dude:

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
I think the "controversy" is irrelevant.

I know there are dozens of albums that I have loved for years that have diode clipping. The presence of solid state components is not bad, but in my opinion the absence of tubes is...

Amen! I have said on numerous occasions that the method one uses to arrive at "their tone" really doesn't matter as long as they are happy with the way they sound that's all that really matters. I just want the technical details as to how, for example, the tone in my amp is achieved. This is useful info when one hears somethings he likes and somethings he doesn't, so that he can get to where he wants to go tone-wise. I say if changing the diodes does the trick for you, the rock on!

The JCM 800 2210/2205 and the JCM 900 (except the SL-X) all had diodes in the signal path to add more clipping, as did the Silver Jubilee and JCM Slash.

The JCM 2000 series was the first line of amplifiers that re-introduced the all valve signal path with no diode clipping. Bufferring of the effects loop and reverb circuit use solid state devices but these devices are not used for tone shaping purposes.

... That being the case, I am basically trying to find out what is inside my own amp (since I don't have schematics). I have been told by countless people that my TSL122 uses diode clipping on the crunch and lead channels, but wiki seems to contradict that. So which is right?

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Steelhorse, +1 on that no T.V. I could go on for hours as to why.

I bought my 2550 for similar reasons and I didn't realize it would be with me for so long.

I see your point on the Slash thing,

I guess I just try to dodge narrow perception. Like when I bought my PRS Spruce Hollobody then found out a month later that the guy from Incubus used one and I had played a few gigs for people who were trying to equate me with him. This stigma gives no room for them to open up to new music because they have a preconception.

That's the trick, isin't it? Not caring about opinions and centering one's self in the music and letting it play through you without being conscience of things that can interrupt the flow. That's why when it comes time to play, not having to worry about the tone or the gear is so important. Same as not having to think of what chords to play, but really knowing the piece so you can play it without thinking. Lack of thinking before a gig is bad. Too much thinking during a gig is just as bad.

Sorry. This still about diodes?:)

steelhorse

Reaction score
Amen! I have said on numerous occasions that the method one uses to arrive at "their tone" really doesn't matter as long as they are happy with the way they sound that's all that really matters. I just want the technical details as to how, for example, the tone in my amp is achieved. This is useful info when one hears somethings he likes and somethings he doesn't, so that he can get to where he wants to go tone-wise. I say if changing the diodes does the trick for you, the rock on!

... That being the case, I am basically trying to find out what is inside my own amp (since I don't have schematics). I have been told by countless people that my TSL122 uses diode clipping on the crunch and lead channels, but wiki seems to contradict that. So which is right?

The bottom of this page has schematics to download for the TSL122:

Marshall Amps Info & Schematics

also check here for more info:

Marshall Amp Heaven Schematics - JTM-45 JCM-50 JCM-600 JCM-900 JCM-2000 JTM-100 JMP IBS Jubilee Valvestate Bluesbreaker

Hope you find the answers you're looking for. :wave:

Latest posts