What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite

• Thread starter LiveeviL2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveeviL2000

Reaction score
A few of my friends started talking about what Black Sabbath song was their favorite or the best song they ever made.

Then it went into what Black Sabbath was better, was it Ozzy's, Dio's, or Ian Gillan (even though I think he was only on 1 album)

So here is the 3 part question:
What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite, what song, and why?

Mine is Dio, because Dio (the self proclaimed inventor of the :metal:) could belt it out like nobody else. There is a reason they called him leather lungs. Heaven and Hell, just love the slow pace of it. The intro set the mood and Dio sucks you in as soon as he start to sing.

YES!! I am a Dio fanboy.

johnny q

Reaction score
Original Ozzy years followed by Dio H&H and Mob Rules era in a photo finish.

I love threads like this, cause someone will always post that they prefer the most oddball era!! Maybe some Jo Burt fans 'round these parts? :)

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Ozzy. Fairies Wear Boots or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Planet Caravan???? It's hard to pick a favorite.

Dio is great. Same with Ian. Born Again. That cassette got the writing wore off it. "She's the richest bitch in town" But Ozzy, Geezer, Iomi and Ward are Black Sabbath.

Seanxk

Reaction score
Fave song Black Sabbath from the album Black Sabbath by the band Black Sabbath. Because of that right there

Mine too, Bill Ward has said, if that song was the only song he ever did as a band it would have been worth it.

Being a bit of an audiofool myself the production of this album is beyond astonishing and on a good system you are right there with them in the studio. I have my 1st pressing thankfully bought many moons ago.

LiveeviL2000

Reaction score

Dblgun

Reaction score
By far Ronnie Dio. I think the influence Ronnie had on the band created a much better band. Although I'm a big fan of Ozzy's solo stuff, Ronnie was a much better vocalist and musician. I kind of see it as two completely separate bands. I like "Lonely is the Word"

Last edited:

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
"Computer God" from Dehumanizer. Iommi's MASSIVE riff. Dio's voice on that first part. Gives me chills.

Ozzy's Sabbath is better - so many great songs. The highs from Dio's run rival their 70s heyday, but never quite top them, IMO. Taken as a whole, 70's Sabbath is groundbreaking, incorporating many elements into a unique soundscape. Dio's run, while great, is a bit formulaic.

But this just had no business coming out in 1992, so far past their alleged "prime"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
IMO without Ozzy it isn’t Sabbath
Iommi also felt that way, but the label always insisted on using the Black Sabbath name.

IDK what Geezer thought about it, as supposedly, he was the one that came up w/ the name, from a Boris Karloff movie...

daa4e4c585c2020a03aefdf42491fefa--horror-movie-posters-horror-movies.jpg

They wanted to change the name of the band to Heaven & Hell early on, but the label insisted on Black Sabbath. They went w/ it, because they didn't have enough material to go completely on their own, w/o playing Sabbath covers throughout the tour...

Even w/ the other incarnations, Tony wanted to do a solo album & they wouldn't let him. That led to semantics between Jeff Fenholt, when he'd say he was a singer formerly for Black Sabbath. In Tony's mind, he wanted to do a solo album, but the label & management said no. But, Eric Singer says that Jeff was never "in Black Sabbath", but auditioning for a Tony Iommi solo project, but, the project ended up being Black Sabbath Seventh Star, & ended up having Glenn Hughes on the album...

Here, was "Stranger To Love" w/ Fenholt:

here is what the album became, w/ Hughes:

so, it's ingenuous to say he wasn't singing in a Black Sabbath project, but, in reality, if Tony would have got his way, none of the post Ozzy stuff would have been "Black Sabbath"...

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Ozzy vs Dio is like DLR vs Sammy because the nature and tone of the band changed
Bon Scott vs Brian Johnson is less dramatic because ACDC has really never changed..

Comparing the first three Sabbath albums: Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Masters of Reality with the three albums with Dio: Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer....it's like two completely different bands. Both were kick ass.

If they'd changed the name to Heaven and Hell we'd have no discussion and they'd have sold a lot less records. Same with Van Halen/Van Hagar.

For whatever the opinion is worth, I listen to Ronnie James Dio much more often (Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio) more than Ozzy w/ Sabbath or solo.