What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite

• Thread starter LiveeviL2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveeviL2000

Reaction score
Ozzy vs Dio is like DLR vs Sammy because the nature and tone of the band changed
Bon Scott vs Brian Johnson is less dramatic because ACDC has really never changed..

Comparing the first three Sabbath albums: Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Masters of Reality with the three albums with Dio: Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer....it's like two completely different bands. Both were kick ass.

If they'd changed the name to Heaven and Hell we'd have no discussion and they'd have sold a lot less records. Same with Van Halen/Van Hagar.

Hence why I posted this as which "version" and not what singer.
I agree with what has been posted so far in this thread. They are different and there have been enlightening posts.
The question still remains, which do you like better?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I like most of what they've done over the years. I never gave the post Dio era the attention it deserves, although, this, is probably one of my favorite songs of all eras:

It kind of bridges the gaps, as mentioned. Sounds like one of the earlier works, like the Writ, or Megalomania, but then crosses over into the Dio era, w/ it's mystical sort of premise, & also & Headless Cross...

Ironically, Bob Daisley played bass, & wrote quite a bit of the lyrics. Daisley, also wrote most of Ozzy's lyrics throughout the post Sabbath, Ozzy career... Geezer wrote most of the Black Sabbath lyrics in Sabbath, when Ozzy was there...

Dmann

Reaction score
funny... I always liked Sabbath, but never really listened. It was more of just not having it available growing up. However, when I started jr high and was 1 of the only 3 long hair dudes in the school, and also we all played guitar, it was inevitable that we got together and then I was introduced to the Sabbath songs from "speak of the devil" which isn't actually Sabbath, but Ozzy covering Sabbath.

For many years I thought the band that played on Speak of the Devil was Black Sabbath lol.... (I never owned that, just borrowed the cassette from friend, and it had all the print rubbed off from use.)

at any rate, those songs are all from the 1st three Black Sabbath Albums, so for me it's those.

my favorite of all time is "The Wizard." coolest tune ever.

Nothing beat sitting around a table hanging out with friends, doing blades of Hash while listening to Black Sabbath.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Hence why I posted this as which "version" and not what singer.
I agree with what has been posted so far in this thread. They are different and there have been enlightening posts.
The question still remains, which do you like better?
This is album rock, not singles, so my perception is mostly around listening to the whole record.

The Dio era albums are more consistently straight-forward rock albums, they don't have the goofy instrumental stuff like the Ozzy era. The Ozzy era is the foundations of metal, has real high points and occasional, boring low points.

I prefer listening to the Dio era, he is a badass singer and straight forward, hard rock arrangements & production of Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules albums are great.

Favorite song...who knows... Turn Up The Night is unhearalded, good representation of the era. Crank the volume and go.

Ozzy era...favorite album is Masters of Reality. Best songs...Hole in the Sky and Symptom of the Universe are top each top five or ten Ozzy era songs and really outshine the rest of the Sabotage record for me. Best Ozzy era records are the first three, without question.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
the ozzy version put them on the map and is the classic choice. one of my favorite albums is Born Again.
toni's tone totally sucked on that album though but the chord work jams.
fav songs: symptoms, fairies wear boots, black sabbath, sweat leaf, and anything off born again.
best album of sabbath songs, Speak of the Devil.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thats a tough one.
As much crap as I talk about Ozzy's lack of talent.
Id still have to pick
Master of Reality

AFTER FOREVER

This album just had a certain tone ,..that I dug. A time and place type of album/tune.
Cool thread !
that album was way ahead of it's time...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The feel/tone ,...brings me back to the exact moment in time when I heard it.
Though it had more of an impact on Dragon acid.
it was released in 1971. Compare it to everything coming out at the time & for years to come, production-wise...

I remember hearing it, for the 1st time, around '74, or '75. My 2nd grade sunday school teacher turned me onto it. He had a tape from the Ca Jam, so, it had a few songs from Cal Jam, then his favorite songs from Master Of Reality. Into the Void, After Forever, etc...

I played the heck out of that tape...

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
it was released in 1971. Compare it to everything coming out at the time & for years to come, production-wise...

I remember hearing it, for the 1st time, around '74, or '75. My 2nd grade sunday school teacher turned me onto it. He had a tape from the Ca Jam, so, it had a few songs from Cal Jam, then his favorite songs from Master Of Reality. Into the Void, After Forever, etc...

I was about 14, when I was exposed to doom , featuring BS -P-MOR all in a few hours time. As the batteries wore down, it was like they drop tuned even lower than C#

Sapient

 
Reaction score

F-Yea! Into the Void and Lord of this World! :eddie:

Also, with Dio my fav is for sure Children of the Sea. Especially the way Tony rips into the solo.

Old Punker

Reaction score

"My 2nd grade sunday school teacher turned me onto it." <- Frigg'in cool! :metal: