What version of Black Sabbath is your favorite

• Thread starter LiveeviL2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anitoli

Reaction score
Man it's all good. Remember Columbia House? I was joining it to get the 11 free tapes and i wasn't all to into music yet but they had a pic of Sabbath and Master of Reality listed. Had never heard them before and it looked heavy so in grabbed it. The box showed up and the first tape into the player was master. I put headphones on and fired it up. First the cough then that riff Sweet Leaf, man holy mother of god i was floored. Brutal absolutely mind shattering riffage. Right then and there i was no longer the same person.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Man it's all good. Remember Columbia House? I was joining it to get the 11 free tapes and i wasn't all to into music yet but they had a pic of Sabbath and Master of Reality listed. Had never heard them before and it looked heavy so in grabbed it. The box showed up and the first tape into the player was master. I put headphones on and fired it up. First the cough then that riff Sweet Leaf, man holy mother of god i was floored. Brutal absolutely mind shattering riffage. Right then and there i was no longer the same person.

Columbia house. I burned them bad....several times.

16 weeks later for your 8 tracks to arrive,........at the neighbors address that is /
wink

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Sorta like some movies of whether or not you saw the original or the remake your favorite era may be when you first listened. I can see valid arguments for any era.

Ozzy's time. Those albums just had a sound and feel. It was the time frame of music on steroids. Heavy blues. I loved Geezer's bass lines in those free jam sounding moments. I think Dio and Ian are more talented singers. All 3 sound unique and have a thing about them but i prefer Ozzy's voice on Sabbath material.

RJD would kill in any band and did. I have favorites in his time. He's more DIO to me. That's some classic metal as well. The first Dio song i heard was Last In Line.

Born Again with Ian actually is my non Ozzy favorite. I still remember my first listen. 16, new stereo in my car and riding dirt roads. It was raining. Fit the mood and i had a little somethin somethin to go with the moment. Good memory. I've still got the album somewhere.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Born Again with Ian actually is my non Ozzy favorite. I still remember my first listen. 16, new stereo in my car and riding dirt roads. It was raining. Fit the mood and i had a little somethin somethin to go with the moment. Good memory. I've still got the album somewhere.

finally somebody.......

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Sorta like some movies of whether or not you saw the original or the remake your favorite era may be when you first listened. I can see valid arguments for any era.

Ozzy's time. Those albums just had a sound and feel. It was the time frame of music on steroids. Heavy blues. I loved Geezer's bass lines in those free jam sounding moments. I think Dio and Ian are more talented singers. All 3 sound unique and have a thing about them but i prefer Ozzy's voice on Sabbath material.

RJD would kill in any band and did. I have favorites in his time. He's more DIO to me. That's some classic metal as well. The first Dio song i heard was Last In Line.

I can see clearly now.........
851a7651fee8cdb7447274ccb269003e.jpg

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Was there more than one version ? Just kidding.
There are so many good albums and sabbath songs Into the Void , Spiral Architect , Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but if you want a reason it will have to be Megolamnia from Sabotage. I bought the album while I was still in high school. Smoked many bong loads wearing that album out. Lol
I liked Heaven and Hell and Dio however it’s like I would never pick Sammy over Dave.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
To me Black Sabbath is with Ozzy. That being said, Dio was phenomenal in his own right and Dio after he went his own way is certainly among my favorite bands of the era.

I have nothing but praise for both Ozzy and Ronnie James Dio, in any combination. They are (were and are) two of the greatest voices of rock and roll, period.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
To me Black Sabbath is with Ozzy. That being said, Dio was phenomenal in his own right and Dio after he went his own way is certainly among my favorite bands of the era.

I have nothing but praise for both Ozzy and Ronnie James Dio, in any combination. They are (were and are) two of the greatest voices of rock and roll, period.
what about the other 20 something singers? :)...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
of course, growing up, in the '70s, early on, I heard all the radio play stuff.

A couple of my friends, growing up, were involved w/ the Angels. They listened to the deep cuts. One guy, I knew, came back from Namm, Viet, not the music show, & he had a tape of radio Saigon. There was their version of Tokyo Rose as a DJ & played a bunch of tunes.

On his tape, that he wore out, was Hand of Doom...

I imagine it was a popular hit, amongst the GI's, w/ the rampant heroin addiction over there in the jungle. Kind of disparaging, but, when people were trippin' out there in the jungle & not wanting to GAF, well...

A buddy & I would throw paper routes in the morning, & smoke out, then ditch all day at his house, when his parents were away. His Dad was an Angel. He had a big booze cupboard, so we'd guzzle-glug some booze, smoke our dope & waste the day away listening to Black Sabbath... This was in Jr Hi...

Old Punker

Reaction score
There was something magical about the 70's that just doesn't seem to exist anymore. I was in high (a really high) school and there was all of this great music coming out constantly, Rock was at its peak, Metal was strong and becoming more diverse, there were always big arena /stadium shows with numerous bands. No distractions like the internet or computer games so we all spent a lot of time blasting great music on our stereos. Many of us were lucky enough to grow up during the era of the best music ever made.

If I knew back then how unusual this was I would have found a way to enjoy it even more!