What was the first song/piece of music you tried learning

• Thread starter Slowerhand
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SRD

Reaction score
Detroit Rock City - KISS

I thought I was the shit until I realized how easy the solo was...

zenfly

Reaction score
My dad was the music teacher in Johnstown NY high and junior high.. I was 13 in 1962 and played trumpet in the stage band and marched on the field football half time in what we called the monkey suits.. I was 13 and a girl in my class had a guitar and I walked her home..On her front porch she showed me the cords to Peter Paul and Mary If I Had a Hammer.. C-Am-F-G and I rocked out..:headbanger:By 1967 I was signed to Mercury Records with my band Kids These Days with a 45 release..

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
This song "ICE" by Crack the Sky
and Barracuda by Heart

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph1WHxSHJo8]Crack The Sky - Crack The Sky - 05 - Ice - YouTube[/ame]

chuckelator

Reaction score
I grew up playing country songs with my father...he showed me all the basic chords, and from there, I learned the rest. The first stuff I tried to learn on my own were Green Day songs.

dptone5

Reaction score
American Girls - Triumph - from the "Just A Game" LP. Rik Emmett is an awesome player. Pure Plexi goodness with a Boss DS-1.

DP

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJYQsA-oig]Triumph - American Girls - YouTube[/ame]

Nudge68

Reaction score
Don't laugh but I don't remember ... All at the same time - Duane Eddy Rebel Rouser, the Shadows FBI, Elvis Love Me Tender, Neil Young a song from Rust Never Sleeps.

All inspired by Van Halen's first album.

I was 10, OK?

Cheers,

Matt.

Rocktane

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYnKzOx5dY[/ame]

Last edited:

MaxFrames

Reaction score
The first ever was, IIRC, "Mull of Kintyre" by the Wings, with a Spanish guitar.
The first electric song IIRC was "Cocaine" by J.J. Cale, in Clapton's version (well, almost...) :-D

LKrevival

Reaction score
First song I learned all the way was Stairway to Heaven on a classical guitar and that was the first song and time I played live in front of my school in the auditorium in 8th grade. It wouldn't be until out of high school that I played in front of people again.

I still rate that song as one of my favorite covers to jam to

gdh1532

Reaction score
if is was just music, it would be whatever song was first in the Palmer& Hughes accordion books.

On guitar it would be Bang A Gong.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
First song I learned all the way was Stairway to Heaven on a classical guitar and that was the first song and time I played live in front of my school in the auditorium in 8th grade. It wouldn't be until out of high school that I played in front of people again.

I still rate that song as one of my favorite covers to jam to

That's awesome! In 8th grade I was still playing the broom. :lol:

SwampThing

Reaction score
Angus Young was pretty much my Teacher in HS, along with Ted Nugent. I then thought I was GOD when I learned the Intro Riff to 'Crazy Train'. The first COMPLETE song I learned was ' I dont Know'. The solo to this day gives me goose bumps.:thumb:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
When I 1st started tinkering w/ the guitar, I would learn riffs, not really songs.

The earliest memories are:

Bring It On Home - Led Zeppelin the riff going into the bridge
Crazy On You - Heart the chorus riff
This Planet's On Fire - Sammy Hagar intro/chorus riff
Some Rush lick I'm not sure of at the moment
Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy 1st rhythm IIRC
Love Me Two Times - The Doors opening riff
Livin' Lovin' Maid - Led Zeppelin lead solo

from there, I learned some rhythms of all the usual suspects. Learned to play Smoke On The Water (the correct way, not the way most people say they 1st learned it) I learned by watching the Cal Jam video that I've had since back in the day.

I taught myself dropping the needle on Led Zeppelin (mostly) & Black Sabbath vinyl, going to as many concerts as I could, visiting guitar stores & hanging around other guitar players & just watching.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly i nevr tried until about 8 years in (last year lol). i wanted to write music and nevr even considered it before. then i started learning scales and modes and applying them.
i'v also always been able to pull a song from memory without sitting down with it but last year i sat down to learn officialy my first covr and it was Yngwie Malmsteen's song ....can't even remember te name now lol but one of his faster ones. i think it had lightning or somehing in it lol. it was a dual composition i thik along with black star....terrible with names...part of being autistic..lol.