Whats better than a Marshall ... ?

• Thread starter charveldan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Not to piss people off, or get dragged into a bloodbath on the Marshall site, but
I love old Marshalls.

The problem is, Marshall used any part they could get there hands on. Because of that, no two plexi's sound alike. Its my reason for playing Voodoo V-plex amps. Trace reversed engineered a 1968 plexi that he said was THE BEST Plexi he had ever heard. I agree, and I have 2 Voodoo V-plex amps that both sound killer. I own a 1993 Marshall SLP 100 watt, but its no where near the amp that my Voodoos are. Which is why I will be having it modded by Voodoo in the future.

Since no two Marshall plexi's were alike, Its another reason why the builders cloning amps all make a clone that sounds different as well. Its like saying I love Gibson PAFs...... No two were alike.

Trace is good people and does some great stuff.

If I ever decided to mod my DSL I would call him to see what he offers.

Some of his DSL modded clips ive heard are incredible. :shred::shred::shred::shred:

LAARS

Reaction score

Trace is good people and does some great stuff.

If I ever decided to mod my DSL I would call him to see what he offers.

Some of his DSL modded clips ive heard are incredible. :shred::shred::shred::shred:

Hey Charveldan,
Trace is fantastic to work with. I posted this a few years ago. Its what takes place when you have your amp modded by Voodoo.
http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/51272-i-had-voodoo-update-one-my-v-plexs-wow.html

People complain about prices that amp guys charge, but if you look at what takes place for a mod, and the amount of time they spend on a customer, you'll see its pretty damn cheap for the work you get.:hbang::hbang: The key is the customer needs to know what it is they want, and you then work with Trace to make it happen.

I still Grin EVERY TIME I plug into my Voodoo V-plex amps. Nothing beats hitting that A chord standing in front of 4- 4 x 12 cabs with 2- 50 watt Voodoo V-plex amps on top.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
You've been riding my ass better part of a year publicly shitting on me and im tired of it.

You know Dan, I don't think I'm alone here when I say this, but you have some issues. You go into other members threads and "ride their ass" and expect to have a free hand at doing that, but when it happens to you, you whine about.

That's called a double standard.

I have to constantly monitor you because I am in the Workbench section a lot. You know, the section where you have the tendency to give informative (erroneous) advice that results in a lot of negative comments. You are one of the few guys I know here that can leave one post and it will cause a thread to derail.

Your acceptance on other forums is well documented. I guess that's why you are here. I think you feel you can get away with more here.

I've told you this before. You are walking a fine line between being obnoxious and being a troll.

If you stop posting erroneous information in the Workbench section, start being less of an ass and stop spamming other members threads with your archived pictures...then maybe I would cut you some slack, but I don't think that is going to happen.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Its not your forum, it belongs to the members and im not doing anything wrong.

Get a life and leave mine alone chump.

You make it ur bidness to post in every single thread I make literally any post I make.

U have an obsession with me and its stalker proportion.

Leave me the feck alone Jack.

This thread currently has 52 "likes" and its cuz of me not you.

I don't think you can handle that and you're too bias and immature to moderate anything here.

4 years & 3500 + poast and im tired of ur shite, leave me alone.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Some things, are best, left unsaid. :cool:
:lol::lol:

John-Wayne-Centurion.jpg

damienbeale

Reaction score
I'm sure Adolf Hitler could have easily managed a fair few likes just by saying words as well. But would having likes make him any less of an utter twat?

damienbeale

Reaction score
Wow. Did you just really do that?

:hbang: :scratch:
:hmm:
Why yes, it would seem that I did, after all, it's there, and it was posted by me...

Hitler had this unfounding sense that he was absolutely right, and that everybody else was the arsehole too.

Okay, so this might seem a little extreme BUT...

I'm just trying to make a point that Dan's receiving likes for certain posts, and smartarse remarks, does NOT justify his absolute twattish behaviour smattered all over this board. Nor any of the other forums that had the good sense to kick his arse to the kerb.

damienbeale

Reaction score
Its not your forum, it belongs to the members and im not doing anything wrong.

Get a life and leave mine alone chump.

You make it ur bidness to post in every single thread I make literally any post I make.

U have an obsession with me and its stalker proportion.

Leave me the feck alone Jack.

This thread currently has 52 "likes" and its cuz of me not you.

I don't think you can handle that and you're too bias and immature to moderate anything here.

4 years & 3500 + poast and im tired of ur shite, leave me alone.
This is one of the moAst pathetic things I have heard.

(although I'm talking to myself since I'm on your ignore list...)

Your delusion seems to know no limits. A mod is trying to give you advice and you pick a fight, or respond with smartarse comments every time. And this comment alone is absolutely chock full of the exact same double standards that Marty was talking about.

Of course it's his business to tell you when you're behaving like an arse, that's what moderation is all about.
Unless of course you would prefer to be banned without any form of warning.

I suggest you take it up with Alex (owner/administrator) and see just how many seconds you last before your pathetic whiney hiney disappears straight outta here.:naughty:

66SuperTremolo

Reaction score
Sanlitun Soho - Beijing & Kowloon, Hong Kong
It depends when you are talking about. In the UK in the classic late '60s, '70s period tweaking was not heard of. FREE, THE WHO, CREAM, THIN LIZZY, HENDRIX etc etc all played stock Marshalls.

As to Marshall using whatever components, if you look at Plexis you will see they all have the same brand components. Only difference is the odd few had a couple of Cornell Dublier caps when Mustards were low, or the odd different brand cap can. Most had the same brand components. The reason for no two sounding the same is due to the variation in tollerances of components which back then could vary widely. Today builders test each component for tollerance so they are built more precisely. Many would argue that makes them sound more sterile, not having the character of the old Plexis.

Jim was constantly tweaking the circuit each year in line with the changing sound of Rock so this is why each model sounds different to the last. Change from KT-66 to EL-34, valve rectifier to SS also changed the sound. Each year the filtering was increased for a tighter more in your face tone. Earlier '64 - '66 had lower filtering than '67, '68/'69. ALL Killer Amps !!!

damienbeale

Reaction score
And yet Thin Lizzy were quite happy to use Master Volume Marshalls throughout some of their career. Robertson at the very least...

Actually in the Plexi era you see smatterings of Wima's, Philips MKT-P (chiclets), squashed green Erie's, even Mullard Tropical fish caps, as well as the CD's and the mustards as coupling caps. But I still don't think it's fair to say that Marshall used whatever components they could lay their hands on, as apart from the supply issue for capacitors, they were pretty damned consistent on what they used. While suppliers were still making the components at least.

66SuperTremolo

Reaction score
Sanlitun Soho - Beijing & Kowloon, Hong Kong
And yet Thin Lizzy were quite happy to use Master Volume Marshalls throughout some of their career. Robertson at the very least...

Actually in the Plexi era you see smatterings of Wima's, Philips MKT-P (chiclets), squashed green Erie's, even Mullard Tropical fish caps, as well as the CD's and the mustards as coupling caps. But I still don't think it's fair to say that Marshall used whatever components they could lay their hands on, as apart from the supply issue for capacitors, they were pretty damned consistent on what they used. While suppliers were still making the components at least.

Wima's thanks I was trying to remember them. Yes you see smatterings of Plexis with one or a couple of Wima's. Marshall used a few different makes of components but were consistent as you say. Vox and Selmers used Wima's rather then Mustard caps.

LAARS

Reaction score

Maybe to say marshall used whatever they could lay there hands on is extreme, but that is a big list of parts that could be different from one amp to another. The reason for no two plexus sound the same, don't you agree?

It's known that Marshall was buying surplus components and when those parts ran out, they used something else. I'm not bashing on them, but it's what they did. Hard to produce a consistent product when your doing that. One of the reasons the amps all sound different.

There are people on this site that want there custom pickups to be as exact as possible to real PAFs, where they are looking at the shape of the covers, to then not notice that Marshall plexi's used a lot of different parts. I don't get it.

It's no different then Gibson using different magnets in the same pickups. No one back then was trying to build the amps that exact.

Last edited:

damienbeale

Reaction score
Maybe to say marshall used whatever they could lay there hands on is extreme, but that is a big list of parts that could be different from one amp to another. The reason for no two plexus sound the same, don't you agree?

There are people on this site that want there custom pickups to be as exact as possible to real PAFs, where they are looking at the shape of the covers, to then not notice that Marshall plexi's used a lot of different parts. I don't get it.

It's no different then Gibson using different magnets in the same pickups. No one back then was trying to build the amps that exact.

Actually I don't agree. I think the difference is mostly down to component drift and environmental conditioning, since it's not unknown to put two IDENTICALLY builts examples right down to the very last component that still sound different to each other. Coupling caps make a VERY subtle difference in comparison to the drift that can (and does) occur in many of the resistors. As for big list of parts, you're talking about 9 or 10 (depending on the circuit) caps, some of which have very little tonal influence. People give coupling caps way too much credit half the time.