What's next in your "to buy" list?

• Thread starter Guv'nor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCM800

Reaction score
Gibsons impractical? Maybe. But the tone of a good Les Paul CANNOT be beat by ANYTHING.

i have alot of complaints about gibsons. first of all the pickup switch is in the WORST posible position, and i hate all gibon necks, apart from the 50's style. there is hardly any access to high frets and they weigh a tonne.

i like SG selects tho. they are light, but heavy enough to no that they are there. their necks are shallow, but atleast they arnt those 60's slim tapper crap.

my hotrodded fender strat (seymour duncan hotrails in the bridge position) kicks my friends les paul's ass. strats feel better to play, and with new bridge pickup, are one of the best guitars out there.

Adwex

Reaction score
I have alot of complaints about my Les Paul also, but, like I said...nothing beats the tone of a GOOD Les Paul. Like you, I also have a Strat with a Hot Rails. The better p'up was definitely an improvement from stock, but your friend's Les Paul is most likely a dog if your Strat kicks it's ass. There are lots of crappy Les Pauls, but a good one will kick both our Strat's asses combined.

JCM800

Reaction score
for being "the best" gibsons produce alota crap. but i know what you mean, some of the better constructed les pauls can be unbeatable, but i doubt ill buy one, if i do im going to have to do ALOT of work to it, starting with removing the pickup switch, and it has to have the 50's neck

JCM800

Reaction score
id rather just buy one of these they are cheaper and sound awesome, and the pickup switch is outa teh way, high fret acess, great neck,
and tis the guitar that basicly shapes aussie rock music

Adwex

Reaction score
i have alot of complaints about gibsons. first of all the pickup switch is in the WORST posible position, and i hate all gibon necks, apart from the 50's style. there is hardly any access to high frets and they weigh a tonne. ...

I agree to a point, the switch could be in a more convenient location, but it hasn't bothered me. As for the Strat....the volume knob IS in the WORST position. I kept hitting mine, and the guitar would turn off. It was especially annoying when the crappy volume pot was scratchy...every time I would accidentally touch the knob, CRACKLE CRACKLE. The knob location bothered me so much, it has now been moved to where the middle tone knob was, and the other tone knob is master.

The other complaints I have about the LP are all a small price to pay for the tone of the gods. Plus, I just like Les Pauls.

JCM800

Reaction score
hmm teh volume doesnt get in the way or crackle for me (yet).

i used to be a les paul fan but that realy has changed now. i can think of so many other guitars that id prefere to have. and id say that the tone of a gretsch or maton are better than any LP ive heard.

but it also goes on what style you play realy. cause i play mainly punk rock the hotrails is a perfect pickup. its got the single coil hi's but a humbuckers low end.

lpaholic59Don

Reaction score
Gibsons impractical? Maybe. But the tone of a good Les Paul CANNOT be beat by ANYTHING.

When did Gibsons become impractical? The sound that is the cornerstone of Rock, Blues, Even Metal?, A Floyd Rose wanker is better? Not for me Nothin rocks like a Les Paul
Hmm would love an SG, and or another Les Paul and Marshall Tube amp, Choices about, which the cash did too !

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i save for about 3 months i want one of these
Do i really need it?.......no.......do i really want it?......absolutely

441267gd6.jpg

JZ06

Reaction score
Possibly a "vintage marshall" head and or cab. The mode four is nice, but i think it's on the way out.:headbanger:

Latest posts