What's the truth behind a wall of Marshalls?

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
That was the most I've ever enjoyed a Journey song. Sounds great, Zach.

Most appreciated. Thank you! :cheers:

I really enjoyed gigging with that project (Journey tribute). It was a challenge to learn the parts and get them down, and it was actually the only project I've ever played in that I actually liked all the songs (Thanks God). I used to do the cover band thing for a living, and didn't care for most of the stuff we did, but it paid the bills, and was better than a 9-5 office job (WAY better looking chicks, and a LOT more too) :D.

This was my favorite of the performance videos I've seen

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGmkYZ-Vng[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJfKjEhkyco[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxISv-qed5I[/ame]

Hamming it up in pure self indulgent wankery LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MridGtH5jjs&list=FL09LHwVJGOmYixy9Pyt4xXw&index=206[/ame]

Last edited:

Ghostman

Reaction score
I worked a Slayer show about a year ago. On stage there were two stacks of 412 cabs on each side of the drum riser. They were four cabs wide and three stacked up on each for a total of 24 cabs. Only the top row were dummy cabs. Sixteen 412 Marshall cabinets blasting away! it was great to see during rehearsals.

Awesome.

zachman

Reaction score
I worked a Slayer show about a year ago. On stage there were two stacks of 412 cabs on each side of the drum riser.

:scratch: That would be 8 would it not?

They were four cabs wide and three stacked up on each for a total of 24 cabs.

Which is correct? 2 stacks on each side of the drum riser, or 4 stacks (each 3 cabs high) on each side of the drum riser?? :hmm: :scratch:

Only the top row were dummy cabs. Sixteen 412 Marshall cabinets blasting away! it was great to see during rehearsals.

Awesome.

Seems like the 2nd explanation, but the 1st description is apparently not connected to your 2nd description... dunno

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Even a few stacks can be useful, I remember Rik Emmett of Triumph used to have 1 stack for clean, 1 for dirty and 1 spare. I would think there should be at least one spare hanging around, kinda hard to change out tubes in the middle of a show. I love the fake stack shots!

zachman

Reaction score
Even a few stacks can be useful, I remember Rik Emmett of Triumph used to have 1 stack for clean, 1 for dirty and 1 spare. I would think there should be at least one spare hanging around, kinda hard to change out tubes in the middle of a show. I love the fake stack shots!

Rik Emmett's 3 white Marshall stacks rig, looked so cool to me, back in the day-- when I saw Triumph, here in Hawaii.

Note to self, get more white Marshall cabs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr9v4meMTj0]Lost Vids of Early MTV - Triumph - Lay it on the Line (1981) / Say Goodbye (1982) - YouTube[/ame]

jorual

Reaction score
The real truth of the walls of amps as it has been said is always an sthetical. Most of the amps are just switched on but they are not working.

Ghostman

Reaction score
:scratch: That would be 8 would it not?

Which is correct? 2 stacks on each side of the drum riser, or 4 stacks (each 3 cabs high) on each side of the drum riser?? :hmm: :scratch:

Seems like the 2nd explanation, but the 1st description is apparently not connected to your 2nd description... dunno

Sorry....they were not "Stacks" in the traditional sense.

How about a Pile of 412 cabs??

It all means one thing: A shit load of Marshall.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Ok, I guess this video might bring justice to the fake stack users. ALTHOUGH, it was just a photo op, so maybe that makes a slight difference?
All I know is, if the man himself has done it, it must be ok. :scratch:

But if I was a rich famous guitar god, I would totally use real ones and play them all![ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHPht_mYiQ[/ame]

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
I worked a Slayer show about a year ago. On stage there were two stacks of 412 cabs on each side of the drum riser. They were four cabs wide and three stacked up on each for a total of 24 cabs. Only the top row were dummy cabs. Sixteen 412 Marshall cabinets blasting away! it was great to see during rehearsals.

Awesome.
Ghostman, it's cool us **** that you worked a show for those guys.

Slayer always had a shit load of cabs on stage but you can see clearly from the Big 4 DVD that they were only using a couple.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
I used to own a 1960B cab that was purchased from a sound rental company in SoCal. The cab had previously been used onstage during the 2 David Lee Roth tours Steve Vai did. Cab was purchased "as is" - i.e. an empty cab with a piece of black spray-painted cardboard behind the speaker grill. Loaded it with Celestions & rocked thru it for about 7 years.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Ghostman, it's cool us **** that you worked a show for those guys.

Slayer always had a shit load of cabs on stage but you can see clearly from the Big 4 DVD that they were only using a couple.

You don't even know. The highlight of the evening is that after the show when we were packing up the trucks one of the road crew grabs this guy and myself and drags us to the dressing rooms. He tells me to stand there and wait. I'm looking at this full length mirror on the wall and I realize that right behind me is the man himself, Kerry King. He's standing five feet from me talking to two suits. Then the roadie comes out with Kerry's axe, hands it to me and tells me to be careful.

I'm standing there, holding Kerry's guitar trying not to blow my wad. If Kerry wasn't there I would of had the guy I was working with take my picture while we waited. Then the roadie comes out with Jeff's guitar and he's followed by two cases. I put the guitar in the case, we pack up and the roadie says "Stay on my ass and don't do shit unless I tell you." So we hustle to the trucks and I'm told to put the guitars on the truck. I went to hand the cases to some of our crew working in the truck, and the guy screams "No! YOU put them on." It was ****ing awesome!:shred:

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
It's all about the show, and looks cool. No way in hell someone could stand up on stage playing through all those stacks. You'd be deaf in a week.

Standing in front of my JMP 50 w/2x12 cab is freakin loud enough for me. Ear plugs are a must, or it's ringing for two days.

Heritage Softail

Reaction score
The answer isn't a one size fits all answer.

The TRUTH is-- ALL gear are mere tools. Choosing appropriately, using the gear effectively and efficiently and having access to the appropriate gear separates those who DO from those who aspire.

Walls of Marshalls are just cool!

Not everyone can pull it off. Some shouldn't even try to

Those who can-- DO (as they please). Those who can't either don't, and call it a day, or they don't and talk smack about those who can, as though their opinion makes any sort of impact on those who CAN and DO as they please (kinda funny to me).

Haters hate

Reasons vary

Looks
Backup amps
Series daisy chaining
Multiple amp switching (One at a time or combined)
Mono
Stereo
Wet/Dry
Wet/Dry/Wet

True enough.

And to people saying amps on stage that are clicked on but with no inputs, a wet amp has the input on the back, the effects return. I have been asked how sound is coming out of a second DSL100 half stack that has no guitar plugged in. It is the wet amp.