What's this?? Deep Purple

• Thread starter Matchless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matchless

Reaction score
I was watching this you tube video, and at about 2:59 you see someone behind ritchies marshall stack (his hand seemed to be there for quite a while before that too), start to move on top of something (a pedal???). Just seemed odd to me. What's going on?

:wtf:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkg0xJj2A4w&feature=related]YouTube - Black Night - Deep Purple[/ame]

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he was holding the amps from falling down. They looking like they were a bit wobbly on the stage.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
That's Ferguson holding the Major from Ritchie knocking it about! Ritchie used to lean against & bump the amps quite a bit back in those day, real rough on the amp period. That is film from Copenhagen in 1972, great show! If you are looking for the pedal it would be a blue rectangular box on one of the drum cases, if it was in color!

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, hes leaning up against his amp to get feedback
and the roadie is holding it from falling

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that clip. Deep Purple and the early Rainbow stuff was a huge influence on me when I was a youngster just learning to play.

Yes as the others stated - the roadies had to be on guard as they never knew what Blackmore might do from night to night. And as the years went by he got more agressive and tempermental and took it out on those Marshall cabs, even stabbing them with his guitar neck quite often - so the roadies had a tough job just to keep the stacks upright.

ironlung40

Reaction score
what is the wooly thick bass sound? is that only the bass or combination of bass and the organ?

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he was holding the amps from falling down. They looking like they were a bit wobbly on the stage.

+1000 Exactly! Hendrix had guys holding his stacks in place before that as well due to the fact that he would actually physically musically and sexually assault them and poke (Penetrate) holes in the cabs with the head of his Strat. Something that Blackmore continued to do well into the 80's. I saw him do it in 1981. He played with his Strat, snapped the headstock off and drove it thru a cab then splintered the Strat. Kind of pissed me off though when I saw it. Even at 17 I thought about all of the great instuments and equipment some of these guys were destroying. LOL, guess that just meant I respected music more than the stupid theatrics.

Guess I should mention that Pete Townsend actually started a lot of that shit too but he did it like a Fagg! Everything Hendrix did was cool and the world knew it so everybody wanted to be just like Jimi.

Watch this video at 6:30 & 8:05

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvehX2aWb8&feature=related[/ame]

Just my $.02

David

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
There is just something cool about the whole band playing through a wall of Marshalls!

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea Bass pedals and that Rickenbacker.
Roger used Marshall Majors and special built
reverse horn cabs with 18's and strait 15 cabs
i saw them live back then he was very loud

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
ive always thought that marshall full stacks where really unstable when stacked up. Pretty much a balancing act....and if the stage is wobbly, look out. I've tried different things to help this, caster plates, bigger casters, ect. The most effective thing i've tried is having the bottom cab sitting in the bottom of a road case....kinda gives the amp a wider "wheelbase". Im sure it would help though if they would mount the casters one the far corners of the cab instead of an inch or two in from the corners....another thing that helps without any mods is to make sure each caster is facing "out".

I'm suprised that this issue doesn't come up more often...It can be a real bitch on some stages,...I've even had to put them side to side before just because the stage was too wobbly or uneven.

Ken

Reaction score
+ . He played with his Strat, snapped the headstock off and drove it thru a cab then splintered the Strat. Kind of pissed me off though when I saw it. Even at 17 I thought about all of the great instuments and equipment some of these guys were destroying. David

I felt that way too when I was a kid. Seemed like a waste! Later on I read in an interview with Townsend that he'd always smash the same guitars, and a roadie would glue them back together and he'd resmash them next show. He had his "playing" guitars and then his "smashing" guitars! So it wasn't quite the carnage it might have seemed. Hope that helps!

Ken

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I felt that way too when I was a kid. Seemed like a waste! Later on I read in an interview with Townsend that he'd always smash the same guitars, and a roadie would glue them back together and he'd resmash them next show. He had his "playing" guitars and then his "smashing" guitars! So it wasn't quite the carnage it might have seemed. Hope that helps!

Ken

I suppose it is reasonable, but once I smashed an SG out of pure frustration and the crowd thought it was great. I regretted it seriously afterwards, but friggin crowd thought it was awesome, the heathans!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is reasonable, but once I smashed an SG out of pure frustration and the crowd thought it was great. I regretted it seriously afterwards, but friggin crowd thought it was awesome, the heathans!

+1 LOL! And The Crowd Goes Wild. :rock:

DCH

Wycked Lester

Reaction score

Hell yea they did. They will almost every time too. I still to this day, (don't laugh) smash at least 1-2 guitars a month on stage. Of course, I wait for a night where the energy is real high and the crowd is real rowdy, toward the end of the night I'll grab up one of my many pawn shop squires, (or whatever i can find that works for 25-30 bucks) play a song on it and smash the ever lovin shit out of it....takes the crowd over the top! I am probably better known around here as the guy who smashes guitars than i am for my playing...lol

There have been a few times where the crowd just went dead quiet and looked at me like i was a lunitic.....to which i'll either pick up another, play some eruption and smash it too...or appologize for freaking them out and hurting their sensitive lil feelings then break into some country untill they come around....either way, keeps things interesting.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Well I bashed my SG up because it wouldn't stay in tune and my night was going bad. So I did it out of pure being pissed, not to please the crowd.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Machine Head was one of the first albums (8-tracks!) I got into when I started playing guitar. I think it taught me the importance of a heavy riff. Think of all the seriously heavy riffs on that album - Everybody knows "Smoke on the Water", but I still to this day think that "Maybe I'm a Leo" is one of the baddest riffs ever. And yeah, Jon Lord on that Hammond through a Marshall Major was powerful.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrCegNN4Ik]YouTube - Deep Purple Maybe Im A Leo[/ame]