What's this?? Deep Purple

• Thread starter Matchless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
But remember, it was people like Blackmore and Hendrix that opened the door and inspired people like Vai and Satch.

yes, completely. Thats like saying Robert Johnson wasn't as good as SRV. Blackmore was a great guitarist in his day and a rock and roll pioneer (maybe that explains the pilgram hat...lol)....meaning he was a huge force and influence on what rock and roll is today.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought Blackmore was such a messy guitarist - more "showmanship" bollocks than virtuoso talent. Hendrix too to some extent, but he could carry it off, and was the original...

The Modern virtuosos like Via and Satriani really put these guys to shame!

Actualy Vai and Satriani would be the first to disagree
with your assement

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I always thought Blackmore was such a messy guitarist - more "showmanship" bollocks than virtuoso talent. Hendrix too to some extent, but he could carry it off, and was the original...

The Modern virtuosos like Via and Satriani really put these guys to shame!

Sorry Mate, but your off your bloody head. You might want to really listen Ritchie and I mean really listen! In the mean time watch this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9cNwOrgYY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9cNwOrgYY[/ame]

skullstjohn

Reaction score
After witnessing the performance of a lifetime with Rainbow in '76, Blackmore refused to do an encore because it wasn't a sold-out show. We clapped, stomped and screamed for 20 minutes, then suddenly "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" with Judy Garland's voice comes bellowing through the PA. Thinking that when the song is done, Ritchie will come out for one more and then... the house lights come up! It was a near riot!!!

spacerocker

Reaction score
Sorry Mate, but your off your bloody head. You might want to really listen Ritchie and I mean really listen! In the mean time watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9cNwOrgYY

Yeah, thanks for the abuse, there. Nice.

I've listened to Ritchie Blackmore loads of times, and he was indeed a very skilled and innovative guitarist on his studio recordings. I grew up listening to Deep Purple, and he can be a truly excellent Guitarist! (Jon Lord was also a fantastic keyboard player!)

But some of the stuff in these live videos is just bollocks! Holding a note for ages, and flapping the tremello bar about - yeah, real skill there! and that bit where he "paws" at the strings with both hands - Jeez! I wish I could do that! - I nearly pissed myself laughing!

Matchless

Reaction score
This is "tone"...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETeumVKeyqQ&NR=1[/ame]

skullstjohn

Reaction score
Yeah, people can argue about Blackmore's playing but the guy always gets great tone!

BTW, after watching all of these clips, I noticed that Ritchie had more hair later on! Is that a hair piece he's wearing in Come Hell or High Water?

MKB

Reaction score
I felt that way too when I was a kid. Seemed like a waste! Later on I read in an interview with Townsend that he'd always smash the same guitars, and a roadie would glue them back together and he'd resmash them next show. He had his "playing" guitars and then his "smashing" guitars! So it wasn't quite the carnage it might have seemed. Hope that helps!

Ken
In the Who video, Amazing Journey, there are some pics of Pete in concert playing literally two thirds of an ES-335!! The body was snapped off between the rhythm and treble pickup volume controls (must have gave way at the F-hole). It's an amazing sight, and he seems to be actually playing the thing.

Pete said in another video that Eric Burdon said: when Hendrix smashed a guitar it was like making love, but when Townshend smashed one it was like rape. :hmm: