What's wrong with this seller?

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coldengray

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't let Craigslist people meet me at my house, mainly for the same reason as this guy - my wife is freaked out at the thought.

keennay

Reaction score
Wow guys. You opened my eyes. I live in a smaller place and think nothing of leaving the house unlocked all day when I go out. It's not unusual for me to leave tools in my carport and everything is there the next morning.

It never, ever occurred to me people living elsewhere didn't have the same outlook on humanity. Granted, this amp is in an area that is now one I'd make sure my doors were locked all the time.

Yeah, I can't imagine in my entire life growing up in an environment where it makes sense to leave the house door unlocked. That to me is the equivalent to walking outside with no pants on.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't imagine in my entire life growing up in an environment where it makes sense to leave the house door unlocked. That to me is the equivalent to walking outside with no pants on.

even (or shall I say especially these days) out here in the country I keep the doors locked @ all times. of course having a small escape artist is one of the main reasons but still...

supershifter2

Reaction score
i have a couple of friends with wives like that. i sold a Yamaha stereo amp to a guy. he said we had to meet somewhere to do the deal. he suggested a Target store near the front doors in the afternoon daylight. he said his wife would have a fit if she new he bought it. i met the guy at Target and he bought the amp. i wanted to buy a geetar amp and the guy said his wife didnt want strangers at their house. we met in a mall parking lot in the daylight. he opened the door and handed me the amp and after i set it down i counted out $900 in hundred dollar bills to him. he opened his trunk and showed me a geetar he was taking to GC to sell and asked if i was interested i said no. a week later i saw the geetar hanging in the used section at GC. i have a few things for sale and i dont want anyone in my place with all my stuff for them to see. i'll meet you in a parking lot in the daylight afternoon to sell you my stuff thats for sale. take a friend or two with you. all the transactions above are from craigs list. i have a Yamaha tuner , drum throne and Fender made in USA strat on Craigs List for sale right now. if your interested we can meet at the local slaughter house and i'll have Leather Face take care of you. call 666-666-6660 my name is Butch Err.

btw one of those jcm800 2205 amps in my avitar foto is the one i bought from the guy in the mall parking lot for $900 off Craigs List. i'v bought a lot of stuff off Craigs List.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I backed away from the deal before the holidays and went on a trip to a warm place.

When I returned it was still for sale. I mulled it over and decided, what the hell, daylight, parking lot with security cameras, take a buddy along and what could go wrong? Ok, maybe I buy a stolen amp but that could happen going to someone's house.

So I make the arrangements in my life to buy this thing and someone else beats me to the punch. I figure it's fate at work. I wasn't meant to have the amp, plain and simple.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good outcome. I personally would not participate in a person to person transaction with all the wackos out there. I rather buy through the mail even if I have to pay more, so long as I have the option to return if the product turns out to be different than what I had expected.

Never take safety for granted.

sullimd

Reaction score
Wow...just read thru this thread.

Nothing is wrong with the seller. You know, his senses were probably going off worse than yours. He was wondering why you were so persistent on coming to his house! As many said, I NEVER, EVER give anyone my home address. I always meet in well lit places with lots of people. And I ALWAYS carry concealed during a deal. I always take someone with me. And I never have the cash on my person when we first pull up and get out. If he sticks a gun in my face and says give me the money - I want to tell him where it is in my car so HE has to turn and go get it. Then at least I have a chance to 1) shoot or 2) run away.

You never know people. I have people that I went to high school with - not friends but people I know, that are into drugs and stealing and all kinds of stuff. They would do ANYTHING to get into my house if they knew I had thousands and thousands of dollars of guitar equipment in there. I'll get Facebook messages from them sometimes saying things like "Hey, are you still into playing guitars?!" And I never answer them.

People do that all the time - meet at someone's house out of their generosity, eye the equipment, then just stake out the house until you leave. Gear gone.

Never let anyone in your house, and never persist on GOING to someone's house. Always take someone with you. Always carry.

stilllifer

Reaction score
Probably turned out for the better. A couple of years ago I was looking at an amp and the same thing happened to me - the guys' wife didn't want anyone coming over. He wanted to meet up at some community centre and I said forget it. I understand not wanting strangers in your house but the garage thing would be a good idea to avoid people going into your house.

Dmann

Reaction score
Ya selling stuff privately is always a risk.

-If you invite them to your house, don't show off all your stuff. Try to only have ehat you are selling view-able and keep everything else out of sight.
-If you go to their house or meet them in public, always bring a friend or 2.
-Never bring Cash, always state that if it passes the demo, you will goto a bank machine and get the money after, or even better is to send an interact e-transfer these days with your cell phone.

I always assume the guy is scoping me out to rob me, that way I never get robbed.

rick16v

Reaction score
Its very hard to let a prospective buyer test a guitar/amp/pedal if you meet them in a car park or public place? And what if its raining or dark?

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Wow guys. You opened my eyes. I live in a smaller place and think nothing of leaving the house unlocked all day when I go out. It's not unusual for me to leave tools in my carport and everything is there the next morning.

It never, ever occurred to me people living elsewhere didn't have the same outlook on humanity. Granted, this amp is in an area that is now one I'd make sure my doors were locked all the time.

I've been in everything the last few months, from real, disgusting, bottom of the barrel dumps to $5+ million dollar houses buying the gear in my signature. One day recently I needed help finding someone when I was 100 miles out of my city so I knocked on a door, a woman answered, (good looking too), she asked me in!, and proceeded to leave me sitting in her kitchen with her keys and cell and purse on the table while she went and got a phone book. Wow. Not once has anyone taken any extra precautions (that I know about) for my visit to see equipment.

I get it now. Something may have happened to him or his wife at some time and now they are very cautious about who gets to see them.

Ok, I'm going to suggest to him we meet in front of a busy coffee shop during daylight hours. There's no music store close enough to use that as a meeting place. I'll have my empty van with my 400w inverter. I'll have a cab and guitar or two. I'll check out the amp in the van.

Well, this sounds like a letter to Penthouse. :lol:

And, who the **** uses a phone book? :scratch:

dash8311

Reaction score
I've had people to my house with my gear on display lots of times. We do the deal, talk shop, and everybody I've met has been great.

But I live on the west coast of Canada. :wave:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Wow...just read thru this thread.

Nothing is wrong with the seller. You know, his senses were probably going off worse than yours. He was wondering why you were so persistent on coming to his house! As many said, I NEVER, EVER give anyone my home address. I always meet in well lit places with lots of people. And I ALWAYS carry concealed during a deal. I always take someone with me. And I never have the cash on my person when we first pull up and get out. If he sticks a gun in my face and says give me the money - I want to tell him where it is in my car so HE has to turn and go get it. Then at least I have a chance to 1) shoot or 2) run away.

You never know people. I have people that I went to high school with - not friends but people I know, that are into drugs and stealing and all kinds of stuff. They would do ANYTHING to get into my house if they knew I had thousands and thousands of dollars of guitar equipment in there. I'll get Facebook messages from them sometimes saying things like "Hey, are you still into playing guitars?!" And I never answer them.

People do that all the time - meet at someone's house out of their generosity, eye the equipment, then just stake out the house until you leave. Gear gone.

Never let anyone in your house, and never persist on GOING to someone's house. Always take someone with you. Always carry.

Man, no disrespect from me whatsoever, but I rather be out $1000 or an amp than having to carry in my conscience that I've killed a man for the rest of my life.

Of course, assuming the guy just wants to steal my stuff, hopefully he's not just a flat out killer because if that's the case, he can kill anywhere. He wouldn't need the excuse of "buying or selling an amp"

I do respect your right to protect your property. I just don't know if I can go there. :shrug: