What's your playing LOUD situation?

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoelH

Reaction score
I vary my rig by what cabinet(s) I use. My main head is a DSL 50 with a choke added. I recently bought an old Dean Markley 4x12, and set it up as a 2x12 with the other 2 holes filled with the Eminence 75's that came with the cab. They're passive radiators. So only an Emi Governor and a Creamback 75 are making noise. That, along with a 1x12 with an EVM in it will be my medium-size venue setup. I also have a Carvin Vai Legacy 4x12 that I can use in Larger rooms or outside. We've been playing the Washington State Fair the last few years. Figure I'll go with the Legacy for that.
So, same amp, different cabs for the venue.

4pickupguy

Reaction score
I play up loud enough to reduce my gain to as clean as possible and still have it sing. I was recording a a Hendrix tune at the house a few years ago ( Spanish Castle Magic). I wanted feed back for the Hendrix’y vibe. Turned it up loud, way loud and threw down on the second take. Neighbor rings the door bell to “see if I was alright” because he thought my alarm was going off...
First solo of this recording. Even with the headstock on the cab to get the feed back it was probably louder than gig level in my quiet neighborhood...

Second solo is by Jim Parry, who has been known to frequent these parts and sounds loud too.

Last edited:

Headache

Reaction score
I play loud in the garage. Haven't had neighbors complain yet.
I had the kids down the street tell me they could hear me but it didn't bother their folks.

I don't usually play loud past 10

rsjd41

Reaction score
Are you able to play loud at home? Do you live in the sticks, taking it to a basement, etc.?

How about live? Are you playing loud in smaller, medium, big places?

Just prodding to see what other people are doing for getting things turned up good an loud on a regular basis. I'm not able to do it often in my current living situation and not playing live right now.

When playing a small 40watt Vox in the living room, my wife often demands that I turn it down. I do, then slowly increase it again.

When I play one of my Marshall's in the basement, I can get away with a 2 or 3. Once I start hitting 5, or obviously higher, the screams from upstairs begin. If nobody is home, I turn it up higher. I've had neighbors from down the block compliment it, so obviously it carries.

obx351

Reaction score

Mostly I play a '68 JMP50 and 4x12 attenuated with an Aracom in the basement. We soundproofed it as much as we could when the house was being bulit. I play it at the lowest or second lowest step at the highest variable setting to keep my hearing in tact. It's still pretty loud. I have other amps with PPIMV that I also play but 90% of the time I am playing the '68.

Last edited:

BRUCE DIETZ

Reaction score
Are you able to play loud at home? Do you live in the sticks, taking it to a basement, etc.?

Just prodding to see what other people are doing for getting things turned up good an loud on a regular basis. I'm not able to do it often in my current living situation and not playing live right now.
Used to practice in the attic of a house out in the middle of nowhare. Full marshall stack, Ampeg SVT with 2 x 8 -10" cabinets, insanely loud drummer. Finally one day got a complaint from a farmer a 1/4 mile away saying his chickens stopped laying eggs because of the noise! That led to a new song "Free our Eggs". Now use a Marshall Micro bass amp with a 2 x 10" speaker stack.

Jimmy-time

Reaction score
I'm respectful of the family so play at low volumes. However, I have two teenagers in the house, one gets on his Xbox and yells and talks to his friends at 3am. The other talks to his girlfriend at all hours of night waking me up. When this happens I wait till they are sleeping, go into my music room located close to their bedrooms and, "UNLEASH THE FURY!" (Marshall JCM 800 half stack). It's so loud it will peel the friggin paint off the wall. My go to song for this application is Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. When they show up at the door of the music room upset I say, "What is this that stands before me?" It's then quiet at our house for a week or so.

ThingFish

Reaction score
Hilarious.

I have to endure my kids' melismatic oversinging complete with chicken neck and hand-waving, yet somehow my amp is offensive.
Who's the guy that went to Berklee? Oh right. That was me. SHADAAPP!

Plus the last person my neighbors want to see is a cop due to their interesting habits.
Marshall TSL and 69 Fender Twin at 3AM?? ACTIVATE! :)

tonefinder

Reaction score
About 5 years ago, I built an isolation box for my 4x12, which is miked up inside there. It's situated out in the garage, wired to my office via an 80 ft. cable run. I can listen to the sweet sound through studio monitors, and obviously, record.

In the office with me are my 2203 & 2204, the latter of which I can crank full up this way. When playing through the the 2203 though, I don't dare (vintage celestions, only 100w rating).

Attachments

• 20170330_093731.jpg
    20170330_093731.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170330_094056.jpg
    20170330_094056.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 10

Blazerocker56

Reaction score

I am blessed, I live on 150 acres and can play as loud as I want to anytime of day or night.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hilarious.

I have to endure my kids' melismatic oversinging complete with chicken neck and hand-waving, yet somehow my amp is offensive.
Who's the guy that went to Berklee? Oh right. That was me. SHADAAPP!

Plus the last person my neighbors want to see is a cop due to their interesting habits.
Marshall TSL and 69 Fender Twin at 3AM?? ACTIVATE! :)
Ahh yes Welcome to the forum!

JackTone

Reaction score
Where we live we're surrounded by 360 acres of GALLO Vineyards North of us, Highway 101 is East of us, our multiple neighbor's South and West of us each have open 5 acre plots, and we have our own 8 acres of vineyards, so I’d say we're totally isolated. However, my recording studio is where I work, which is a separate structure, so I do not work in the house. Can I play at full volume? If needed... No problem! I've had bands in here with Marshall stacks, blasting away, and you can't hear anything in our house below the studio.

marcos69

Reaction score

I haven't gigged for a while now. When i did it was a half stack JCM 800 at 2 on the dial. Iv'e been wanting to gig again but am getting to old to want to carry the marshall rig around so I bought a Katana. Haven't got a chance to use it out in public yet.