• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which Amp instead of DSL40CR?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
As I get a better handle on my DSL (which I'm not sold on moving away from), I'm curious as to what my other options I would be looking at if I did look into a different Marshall. I'm guessing the JCM800 4010 with attenuator would be it lol. Is it pretty great to just get an SV20 Head and then a nice 1x12 closed back cab that's light enough? The JCM 800 4010 is plenty loud. My issues with the DSL are the lack of tight bass and mainly just the overall modern tone. It's not super great for classic rock oddly enough. Especially when played next to something with a real Marshall tone.

What would you recommend I get instead?

I need something that:
1- I can move around fairly easy enough as one person. Myself and my two young sons play in a band (different bands) once in a while and I need to move the amp around once in a while.
2- I don't always have a PA to plug into but no one is playing any huge stages.
3- We need to use the amp at home frequently to play and practice at decent volume.

We are playing everything from a little Hendrix to ACDC, Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters etc. Once in a while some clean stuff...but I could perhaps find a different amp for that stuff.

Any advice for someone that's new to all this?

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need something that:
1- I can move around fairly easy enough as one person. Myself and my two young sons play in a band (different bands) once in a while and I need to move the amp around once in a while.
3- We need to use the amp at home frequently to play and practice at decent volume.
Lots of Marshall amps fit this criteria.
Are you looking for something similar or different?
New only, or are you open to the considering used?
What kind of budget do you have?

svinyard

Reaction score
Lots of Marshall amps fit this criteria.
Are you looking for something similar or different?
New only, or are you open to the considering used?
What kind of budget do you have?
I'm open to new and used.

Budget is fluid. But prob options in the 1k$ range and then up to 2k$-ish.

K9Merc

Reaction score
I know your struggle with the dsl40 combo. I have the c version and have swapped several speakers to get a more classic sound. The dsl40 is a great amp if you don’t compare it so other Marshall’s. I have the SV20 and 212 and it nails those sounds you are looking to all day. Haven’t tried it with a 1x12 so I don’t know. I gotta off load my dsl40c because I want the 1974x with a passion lol. Good luck on your quest!

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm open to new and used.

Budget is fluid. But prob options in the 1k$ range and then up to 2k$-ish.
I’m soaking up your comment on ‘Easier to Move’ ..
That in itself discourages most Marshall Tube Combos unless you can go to a 20watter .. My personal favorite Is the 2266C Vintage Modern ( as a pedal platform ) but that certainly negates the ‘Easy Move’

svinyard

Reaction score
I’m soaking up your comment on ‘Easier to Move’ ..
That in itself discourages most Marshall Tube Combos unless you can go to a 20watter .. My personal favorite Is the 2266C Vintage Modern ( as a pedal platform ) but that certainly negates the ‘Easy Move’
Except the 4010 :). 50lbs ain’t too bad. I’d have to get decent attenuation or something to play it in the house tho.

Even still that 50lbs in a single box isn’t ideal. I think the head and separate cab might be the way. Then a 50w plexi head maybe? Part of me likes the idea of a boosted plexi with attentuator as I can get cleans out of it but also some hard stuff too. But I’ve never done that or played on one. So maybe that’s all BS?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As I get a better handle on my DSL (which I'm not sold on moving away from), I'm curious as to what my other options I would be looking at if I did look into a different Marshall. I'm guessing the JCM800 4010 with attenuator would be it lol. Is it pretty great to just get an SV20 Head and then a nice 1x12 closed back cab that's light enough? The JCM 800 4010 is plenty loud. My issues with the DSL are the lack of tight bass and mainly just the overall modern tone. It's not super great for classic rock oddly enough. Especially when played next to something with a real Marshall tone.

What would you recommend I get instead?

I need something that:

We are playing everything from a little Hendrix to ACDC, Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters etc. Once in a while some clean stuff...but I could perhaps find a different amp for that stuff.

Any advice for someone that's new to all this?
Im not a fan of the DSL, but try the green crunch channel with a TS9 clean boost to get classic tones. If still no good, look at the Origin 20 or 50, or if you can afford a higher budget look at any of the Studio line of amps like the SC20, SV20, 2525.

svinyard

Reaction score
I know your struggle with the dsl40 combo. I have the c version and have swapped several speakers to get a more classic sound. The dsl40 is a great amp if you don’t compare it so other Marshall’s. I have the SV20 and 212 and it nails those sounds you are looking to all day. Haven’t tried it with a 1x12 so I don’t know. I gotta off load my dsl40c because I want the 1974x with a passion lol. Good luck on your quest!
This is so the truth.

Question, how versatile is that SV20H? It has sweet cleans right? I’ve heard a boosted plexi that sounded like heaven for rock. Can you also throw a RAT pedal on it and jam some Nirvana teen spirit or a bit of Metallica? I have no experience with them so forgive my ignorance

svinyard

Reaction score
Im not a fan of the DSL, but try the green crunch channel with a TS9 clean boost to get classic tones. If still no good, look at the Origin 20 or 50, or if you can afford a higher budget look at any of the Studio line of amps like the SC20, SV20, 2525.
What’s the deal with the Origin?

Is it like a super poor man’s Plexi? Like it’s all clean until you crank it to 11?

How would I use it theoretically for some ACDC to Metallica etc?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Is it like a super poor man’s Plexi? Like it’s all clean until you crank it to 11?

Use OD and distortion pedals for various gain. Head to the store and try some amps! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This is so the truth.

Question, how versatile is that SV20H? It has sweet cleans right? I’ve heard a boosted plexi that sounded like heaven for rock. Can you also throw a RAT pedal on it and jam some Nirvana teen spirit or a bit of Metallica? I have no experience with them so forgive my ignorance
SV20 is very versatile. Just get an attenuator or a volume box for the loop so you can play it at reasonable volumes.

svinyard

Reaction score
SV20 is very versatile. Just get an attenuator or a volume box for the loop so you can play it at reasonable volumes.
Two questions:
How do you get it do an ACDC tone at home? Is it a pedal or insane volume (that you then knock down with attentuator)?

Can it do some heavier Metallica stuff with a pedal no problem?

svinyard

Reaction score
Can
JVM is the most flexible.
But a JVM215C 1x12 combo isn't cheap in the US.
Otherwise it would be your best choice imho.
And it's the best Marshall to play at bedroom volume levels.
Its more inline with a Plexi or a JCM800? Why is it more versatile?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any way you can try out an Origin?
A good boost / dirt pedal out front can get you what you want at any volume.
It sounds fantastic cranked, but that's not the only way you can use it.

svinyard

Reaction score
The JVM is basically a modded JCM800.

You get two channels with 3 gain options per channel (green, yellow, red).
It also does have two master volumes (like they implemented on the newer DSL40CR).
Awesome. Thank you!

I haven't played with a JCM 800 yet. Everyone I hear is pretty rock and roll. Do they have a decent clean channel or bleed a bit into Plexi territory? That growling plexi low with the glassy popping highs is MAGIC ....but no way I can freaking playing that crap at that volume. I feel like I want some of that if I'm dropping big cash.

Moony

Reaction score
Do they have a decent clean channel or bleed a bit into Plexi territory?

There's a shared clean/crunch channel and the the green setting is clean - but there you can only adjust the gain, not the channel volume. In orange and red mode you have both, gain and channel volume, There's a mod to fix that, I don't care for it. I prefer using the orange channel which gives me more edge of breakup tones and if I want more clean sounds I just use the guitar volume knob.

The JVM2 series has "OD2" of the JVM4 series as overdrive channel.
Can it "plexi"?
Johan says yes: