• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which Amp instead of DSL40CR?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
You really need to change the speaker in your DSL40CR. The Seventy 80 speaker is a particular characteristic speaker with a flubby bottom end. All amps can be shaped in the tone by a speaker change and show what each can really do and the DSL's are absolutely no difference.

There are a lot of options for another amp to add on. And depending on your area some very good deals that can be had used. There's a huge amount of gear listed where I'm at. but this is a music town. Take a look at your local Craigslist and see what's out there. That's my 2 cents.

I use Warehouse Retro 30 speaker mainly these days (and in my modded DSL20CR) because they portray the speaker characteristics I favor most and let my amps project more of the tone I like. But there are lots of speakers out there. WGS's are just some of the best in my opinion and American made/assembled from a good American company. But there are lots of speakers out there.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
You really need to change the speaker in your DSL40CR. The Seventy 80 speaker is a particular characteristic speaker with a flubby bottom end. All amps can be shaped in the tone by a speaker change and show what each can really do and the DSL's are absolutely no difference.
The DSL40CR uses the Celestion V Type speaker, which in my opinion, sounds great.

To the O.p. .....What is your DSL40CR lacking (besides ease of portability) ?

colchar

Reaction score
Get an SC20 and a 2x12 cab. Not as maneuverable as a combo (the SC20 combo has a 10" speaker so best avoided) or a 1x12, but it sounds much better. The SC20 can do a lot of what the SV20 does, and more.

svinyard

Reaction score
The DSL40CR uses the Celestion V Type speaker, which in my opinion, sounds great.

The bass is pretty "flubby" and the tone is kind of a scooped modern tone rather than a classic Marshall tone. Apparently this is just the way the thing is made.

That being said, this guys freaking DSL head (C version with mods) is apparently pretty damn good.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score

My bad, that's right. Though it isn't an upgrade much from the Seventy 80 and has a 31oz magnet which doesn't support a tight bottom end just the same and sounds just as flubby.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Converting to a DSL40HR head cabinet, and seperate speaker cab (with speakers of YOUR choice) might solve the portability issue.
For the life of me, I dont understand why Marshall dosent just simply release a HR, to go along with the CR ...
Personally, I thought my DSL40CR wasa huge upgrade to my DSL15HR.
I sold the 15, and never looked back.
I still have a 100HR, but in my opinion, the 40CR is in my opinion, the one that rocks!

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
The bass is pretty "flubby" and the tone is kind of a scooped modern tone rather than a classic Marshall tone. Apparently this is just the way the thing is made.

That being said, this guys freaking DSL head (C version with mods) is apparently pretty damn good.

Many of us have found it very easy to shape the amp with basic speaker and tube rolling mods, and simply use a graphic eq to eq around whatever each doesn't like about the amps eq characteristics.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Two questions:
How do you get it do an ACDC tone at home? Is it a pedal or insane volume (that you then knock down with attentuator)?

Can it do some heavier Metallica stuff with a pedal no problem?
I have a JHS volume box in my loop to control volume, with the amp volume dimed I can get ACDC tone at any volume. Anything heavier I use an OD pedal out front, you mentioned RAT earlier thats a good pedal with this amp.

K9Merc

Reaction score
This is so the truth.

Question, how versatile is that SV20H? It has sweet cleans right? I’ve heard a boosted plexi that sounded like heaven for rock. Can you also throw a RAT pedal on it and jam some Nirvana teen spirit or a bit of Metallica? I have no experience with them so forgive my ignorance
I think it does everything. I have never set it for clean tones I just roll the volume down on the guitar and call it good enough lol. I haven’t ever put a boost in front either. I like the drive that much, I don’t mess with it.
Edit: the sv20 definitely need attenuation unless you are playing loud venues. I run mine at home via the ox box but it’s pretty expensive but great for home recording.
Here’s a crap demo I put on YouTube. Might be some sounds you are looking for.

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
Celestion G12 NEO

How does this sound?

That is a C, not a CR, but I think they have the same voicing (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That guy is running a Celestion G12 NEO. That sounds pretty dang classic to me.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents…
It’s worth, well , about 2 cents……
I’ve got a lot of Marshall Tubes Amps …… I’m forever monkeying around with this and that.
Of all of them, my DSL40CR is the only one that is Completely Stock……
The V-Type is Awesome…
It just works as is……

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
My 2cents, worth only 0.005 cents after inflation.

I have a JVM205H. Tons of options, but to me doesn’t quite nail the tone I’m looking for. Could be my paralysis by analysis!!!!

My 2203 JCM800 has plenty of bottom end balls etc. need to roll the volume for cleans. Not as “musical” as a plexi type circuit but can get pretty close. Needs pedals to shape tone depending on what you’re after. Glorious sounds though!!!

I also have a JCM800 1987 model. Similar to a plexi circuit. Freaking awesome for that classic 60’s/70’s tone. But to me is less flexible than the JCM800 for metal/hard rock tones from 80’s+. I’m sure with pedals it could get there, but the beauty of that amp to me, is running a guitar directly into it! And rolling tone and volume knobs. I’ve tried some pedals with mine, but I get added floor noise I don’t like. Maybe mine needs some TLC?

I’m probably in the minority for many as I like my JCM900 4100 DR. Not as tight or ballsy on the bottom end vs my 2203 or 1987, But rolling tubes helps and in a band mix it’s stellar for me, and I don’t notice the “loss of bottom end”. But definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

I guess my main point of my rambling is that everyone is different and you need to play and feel each as as they are quite similar but definitely different as well. It really depends on what you value in your playing experience and internet posts/threads are hard to convey what you might like best.

Moony

Reaction score
I have a JVM205H. Tons of options, but to me doesn’t quite nail the tone I’m looking for.

Do you know about the OD2 to OD1 conversion on the JVM2 series?
It's a very simple mod, you only have to switch two caps and one resistor on the front-pcb.
And then get the OD1 channel of the JVM4 series which many guys prefer as it's got the classic Marshall mids (the OD2 is a bit darker and more scooped/modern sounding).

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
It's a very simple mod, you only have to switch two caps and one resistor on the front-pcb.
And then get the OD1 channel of the JVM4 series which many guys prefer as it's got the classic Marshall mids (the OD2 is a bit darker and more scooped/modern sounding).
I do not know about this mod. I will check it out!

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score

That's great!

Here you are > Klick <
Yeah for me, the Od2 is too high gain and just isn’t my style. I’ll check out the mod. Thanks

Moony

Reaction score
Yeah for me, the Od2 is too high gain and just isn’t my style. I’ll check out the mod.

It doesn't reduce the gain.
It's more about EQ shaping.

But there are other mods, also for gain reduction if that's what you're after - see the Mod Catalogue from the old JVM forum below:

Attachments

• The JVM Forum Mod Catalogue - JVM Forum-1.pdf
    447 KB · Views: 2

qautomat

Reaction score
What’s the deal with the Origin?

Is it like a super poor man’s Plexi? Like it’s all clean until you crank it to 11?

How would I use it theoretically for some ACDC to Metallica etc?
yeah it's cheaper then UK-made amps, my crunch settings is Gain on 8, Master on 6, Boost on...its pretty loud, even in Low mode
to get "Clean" i used to turn volume on guitar to left and switch split coil
to get AFD gain level i added SD-1 to crunch setting
to get Kill'em All gain level i added TS-clone to AFD setting
i used loadbox to play without speaker in my bedroom

TheKman76

Reaction score
Any advice for someone that's new to all this?

Whether this is welcome advice or not is up to you.
There is a lot to learn about how to really get the best out of any valve amp, the 40CR is no different.
I'm quite new to valve amps, the 40CR being my first and only. Having used it for about 4 months I'm learning there's a lot more I need to learn.

There's also a lot to be said for learning to make-do. You might just discover it has more to offer as you play with it more.

I also said this in the other thread, a different speaker/cab can make all the difference too. Try some.

svinyard

Reaction score
Whether this is welcome advice or not is up to you.
There is a lot to learn about how to really get the best out of any valve amp, the 40CR is no different.
I'm quite new to valve amps, the 40CR being my first and only. Having used it for about 4 months I'm learning there's a lot more I need to learn.

There's also a lot to be said for learning to make-do. You might just discover it has more to offer as you play with it more.

I also said this in the other thread, a different speaker/cab can make all the difference too. Try some.
Every day I’m liking it better and better. This was good advice for anyone like me reading this. I think especially with a versatile amp where the knobs do a lot with different channels and MV.