• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which Marshall?

• Thread starter jeffp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geeze

Reaction score
The best - more expensive unless you have some Marshall freak friends - is to play all of the candidates at the same time, same room, same 1960 [I'm a B man myself] to really appreciate what each of the amps bring sonically. I've gone from a JCM 800 2205 to JMP 2204 then JCM 900 2500, 1987, JPM 2203 [6550s], 2555X, 1959X, another JCM 2203 [EL34s] and currently have the JMP 2203 [EL34s], 1987 & 1959X - the last two are my preferred sound into just about anything. I favor the 100 watts as they sound bigger. I miss the JPM 2203 [6550s] as it was my favorite MV amp.

I like the NMV's better at low volume than the MV's and when I do get to wind them up - nothing compares.

Russ

mallcorn

Reaction score
and then there’s a jcm 800 2203x and a1960AX cab!
Yes there is. I use to have the 50watt versions - 1983 JCM800 2204 and a 1979 JMP 2104. They were both great MV amps. I thought the JMP sounded more woody and kind of between the plexi and traditional JCM800 sound. Also had the 1960BX. G12M25s are great speakers for a Marshall head. As a plexi lover, I now use Alnico 90 Creams in one cab, G12H30 55hz in one cab, and G12M Heritage (EVH version) in another cab. Why? because they all sound great and have a hard time picking one over the other.

Greg Rogers

Reaction score
Help me decide. I’m an old time rock n roller! And quite proud of it. I’m an ol timer too. I’ve been playing off and on all my adult life . Love and still live in 70’s rock! Think Led Zep, Cream,Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd,Allman’s ,Doobies yall know what i’m talking about.All the good stuff!I need one good Marshall! 1959 HW, or 1987x? Volume is not an issue if it can be kept in check (only)when necessary ? I want to hear that Marshall Roar! What do you say? Which is this amp?
I have a Weber Mass 100 and a Mini Mass. great attenuators and inexpensive compared to others.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I'm going to be controversial and say a good original vintage JTM45 running KT66s into a T1281 equipped 4x12 plugged straight in, no attenuation is really hard to beat for the tones you describe
Channel 1 on 7, unused channel 2 on 5
Bass 1, Middle 8, Treble 8, Presence to taste
It is loud, ballsy and has great dynamics with a decent guitar and will still need ear plugs but you can be in the same room.
Bear in mind I have or have had every iteration of JMP100 (lead and bass) JTM100 lead and bass, JTM45/100, 2203, 2204, JCM800.
A JMP100 (1959HW) will be the business and can be bought new and will need a good attenuator (I have an Alex, a Sequist Motherload Elemental and a Hotplate but there are other good/better new ones out there although I am agnostic on reampers).
I have kept my 45, a couple of 45/100s and JMP50 (lead). I have three attenuators.
The 45/100s are fab but need attenuation to have a little more balls but almost as make minimal difference. Of course all of our experiences and needs are different and not all vintage JTM45s are in 100% order!
Great choice; a lot of people don't know that Hendrix and Cream used JTM 45/100 heads, not 1959's. The 45 is good and loud too.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
The 59HW is preordered
Geez man, I hope you played through a 100w NMV amp before you took that plunge. Take internet opinions with a grain of salt—people tend to enthusiastically recommend rigs that they currently use which is natural and human nature but everyone’s situation is different, sometimes drastically so. I gig small and medium sized venues and while I have a 100w NMV head right now it is pretty much a home amp as it is waaaay too much for just about anyplace we play.

What is your price range/what amps do you have experience with/how loudly will you be playing/will you be gigging with it/do you use effects/MIDI…I’d want to know all this before recommending the loudest, most difficult to tame amps of all time.

jeffp

Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch. Let me see. Early on i had small combos. Later on a nice Mesa boogie combo. Then a jvm 210. AnOrange. I have a Fender Vibroking. Just sold a Dr z EMS. It’s a back and forth never ending quest for tone! I’m sure most are looking for the same thing. It’s my hobby . Nothing more ,nothing less and all strictly for fun! I’ve been playing off and on all my adult life. Too much off and not enough on unfortunately. I can’t play very well but I love rock and roll! And i’m not afraid of loud! I grew up with it!
Effects:yes, sometimes Chorus,Delay and reverb

Last edited:

jeffp

Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch. Let me see. Early on i had small combos. Later on a nice Mesa boogie combo. Then a jvm 210. AnOrange. I have a Fender Vibroking. Just sold a Dr z EMS. It’s a back and forth never ending quest for tone! I’m sure most are looking for the same thing. It’s my hobby . Nothing more ,nothing less and all strictly for fun! I’ve been playing off and on all my adult life. Too much off and not enough on unfortunately. I can’t play very well but I love rock and roll! And i’m not afraid of loud! I grew up with it!
Effects:yes, sometimes Chorus,Delay and reverb
And i had a 1987 years ago. I was young and didn’t realize what i had. Kept it only a couple months. That’s just one regret.
I plan on attenuating with the best one i can find or other possibilities.
My adult son who is a very seasoned player and has his own home studio is looking forward to the 2203x. i’m mostly excited about the 59

Last edited:

jeffp

Reaction score
And i had a 1987 years ago. I was young and didn’t realize what i had. Kept it only a couple months. That’s just one regret.
I plan on attenuating with the best one i can find or other possibilities.
My adult son who is a very seasoned player and has his own home studio is looking forward to the 2203x. i’m mostly excited about the 59
I’m sure the volume will be a problem! But it’s the Best Problem I’ve ever had!

danteschall

Reaction score
Help me decide. I’m an old time rock n roller! And quite proud of it. I’m an ol timer too. I’ve been playing off and on all my adult life . Love and still live in 70’s rock! Think Led Zep, Cream,Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd,Allman’s ,Doobies yall know what i’m talking about.All the good stuff!I need one good Marshall! 1959 HW, or 1987x? Volume is not an issue if it can be kept in check (only)when necessary ? I want to hear that Marshall Roar! What do you say? Which is this amp?
Do you already own a really good speaker cabinet? If you do, go with a DSL 100HR. You can pick them up all day for ~1,000. People pooh-pooh the DSL 100 to that I say, Well Gary Moore TOURED with one so unless you are prepared to explain why you sound better than Gary, I'm straight up IGNORING YOU.

Something Ive come to terms with very recently, stop spending so much time worrying about your gear and focus MUCH more on embracing YOUR VOICE on the guitar. That perfect tone in your head DOES NOT EXIST. As you IMPROVE your playing that tone you imagine will change.

bluarcher

Reaction score
I'm sure others will be along with their own opinions, as I only have one. I'm also sure some are tired of this silly video I sometimes reference, but whether you like the video or not (I think the guy is kinda funny), it's actually a fairly good representation. However, I would not use a Bad Cat Unleash with a 100w amp like he does at the end, as they're not intended for 100w amps. I have an Unleash, and it does work fine with a 50w amp. I also think a volume control in the loop is a poor choice for taming the volume of a non-master amp, as you lose the output section saturation, which is what sets the sound of a non master volume amp apart from a master volume amp.

great video...very straight-forward presentation and that BadCat definitely does what I'd be looking for if I was in the market for an attenuator. Thanks for posting.

TJB

Reaction score
I've tried several attenuators over the years and the Tone King Ironman ii Attenuator is what I use and recommend. Marshall JVM410H is my amp into 2 1960b cabs.

jeffp

Reaction score
I've tried several attenuators over the years and the Tone King Ironman ii Attenuator is what I use and recommend. Marshall JVM410H is my amp into 2 1960b cabs.
well it’s at the top of my list ! Glad to know it works for you. How do you normally use it? How much do you attenuate?Thanks

Latest posts