Which new Marshall should I get?

• Thread starter Crunch85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Thankx alotttt people!! Now I am having the choice. C20 vs SV20 vs JVM.
I don't need a complete 100% recreation of a tone just one that comes close to those plexi and hot rodded tones at same time. More of a "kinda of" tone.
Thank you very much so far!!
I love the SV20 but I am afraid it cannot hit the tone of a boosted SC20 and vice versa. JVM maybe would be an option but can it get a convincing JCM and Plexi tone? Not 100% I know but get into the area...
Well, I've owned a few Marshalls, including a JVM 410H and a JVM 410HJS, and still own a few. For versatility (in a Marshall), it's hard to beat a JVM. However, if you read the posts on the JVM forum, you'll see a ton of posts from people either modding the amp, or wanting to mod the amp. I had modded both of mine, quite a bit, before finally selling them. In it's stock form, it's been referred to as "stiff", "too compressed", "noisy", "lacking balls".... If you're expecting true JCM 800 tone and feel from a JVM, be prepared to mod it. If you need all the versatility of multiple channels, 3 modes per channel, on-board reverb, and a programmable footswitch, then the JVM is your amp. If you're primary interest is the best tone you can get for home use, even if it's from a single channel amp, I'd look very hard at the SC20 and SV20 amps. Both amps, although they won't deliver the punch of their bigger brothers (2203 & 1959), have excellent tone and feel, which, in the end, is what inspires us to play. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
Hello,

at the moment I am confused in which new amp I should get.
I love stuff like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and on the other side I am heavily into 80s Hard Rock Stuff like George Lynch, VH Brown Sound, Maiden, Accept and all of this hot rodded Marshall stuff.
I would like to cover both eras (for home use) so I am really torn between the new SV20 (maybe with boost pedal????), SC20 or even a JVM head (attenuator is here) or even a model I cannot think of now?
Cleans would be nice to have but no mandatory...

Could somebody give me input?

Thank you very much in advance!!
The closest you are going to get to what you are after without going digital is either a JVM or JCM 2000 DSL or TSL. If you are unwilling to roll the dice on a used JCM 2000 with the well known issues, go with a JVM. If you are more adventurous, try a JCM 2000 DSL or TSL, they all can get a wide variety of tones from classic to modern without getting into mods or needing pedals but they take pedals very well also.

Crunch85

Reaction score
OK thankx again for all of your input!
I gotta decide between a SV20 and a SC20.
I love the boosted or modded 80s sound alot. But at the same I am so on the 70s AC/DC Zepplin (and yes not 70s.. Airbourne) stuff too.
I like the look of the Plexi so much but I am not sure to get that same high gain saturated tone with a boost pedal than with a 800 model as it has less basic gain from what I understand.
Can you give me some further help?
Ultimate decision now

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
I love the boosted or modded 80s sound alot. But at the same I am so on the 70s AC/DC Zepplin (and yes not 70s.. Airbourne) stuff too.
I like the look of the Plexi so much but I am not sure to get that same high gain saturated tone with a boost pedal than with a 800 model as it has less basic gain from what I understand.
Ultimate decision now

I think the Studio Classic with an overdrive pedal is the answer you're looking for. Pretty sure you can coax a Plexi-esque clean from the Studio Classic, but I don't think you're going to be able to get the JCM800 roar from a Plexi. It's a great sound that you can either boost and get more saturated, or you can roll off the volume and clean it up. With a guitar like an SG or Les Paul you can get a LOT of tonal range from the Studio Classic.

Thunderslug

Reaction score
Sc20 if you don’t need crystal clear clean
2525 if you need a clean channel

Either can do ac/Ed and you can then slam either with an sd-1 or other od of choice and that’ll get you to the 80s stuff. I’d also put a delay in the loop.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Ultimate decision now
If you add pedals, the SV will do anything the SC can do. Most of your favorite 80's artist were probably using plexi amps with pedals. On the other hand, can the SC do that plexi thing? kind of, but not as good as the SV.

bigbadorange

Reaction score
I have almost every head listed here and would recommend jvm. The JVM WANTS to sound like the tones you mentioned, others would do one, and then your forcing other tones by using pedals. I prefer my jvm to to any of the others using pedals. I regularly switch heads, and its always a pleasure when I get back to jvm.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Honestly when he said home use I thought of the 2555x or JVM. Both work great at low volumes. Fractal or Kemper are great options if you need a lot of variety. If Fractal is too expensive I'd recommend the Headrush. It sounds better than the Helix ascfar as amp tone but has fewer effects.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Ultimate decision now
I've got both, and you can do 80's stuff with either amp, the amps have similar levels of gain. The biggest difference lies in the "feel" of each amp. The SC has a master volume, the SV does not. The SV has channel jumping, the SC does not. If you need to play at low levels, you should probably go with the SC, or plan on buying an attenuator for the SV.

Last edited:

Phony iommi

Reaction score
Here I go again.....
6100lm
Crystal clear clean?
Dirty?
Crunchy?
Saturated?
Yeah, it’s got all that.
Zeppelin ac/dc maiden Priest Metallica in a box.
It’s available in a combo if you’re not interested in going deaf by 1960 cab.
Check one out. There’s a thread dedicated to them here in the forum.
Good luck and have fun!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimate decision now

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Here I go again.....
6100lm
Crystal clear clean?
Dirty?
Crunchy?
Saturated?
Yeah, it’s got all that.
Zeppelin ac/dc maiden Priest Metallica in a box.
It’s available in a combo if you’re not interested in going deaf by 1960 cab.
Check one out. There’s a thread dedicated to them here in the forum.
Good luck and have fun!

Great recommendation. Those amps kick serious ass for any kind of use I could think of.