Who buys, tries, chooses?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Torren61

Reaction score
I went down that same road. Which did you decide to keep? (I ended up with the TC100.)

Why did you pull my quote out of one thread and insert it here as if I said that in this thread? Until now I haven't posted in this thread. It may not seem like a big deal but what if I posted on a thread about a guy getting good insurance money and I said "I'm glad that happened!" and you pulled it from that thread and quoted me in a thread where someone is talking about them getting a cancer diagnosis? Then it looks like you're quoting me as saying "I'm glad that happened!" in that thread. Don't do it again.

Crikey

Reaction score
Every once in a while, sort of through accumulation I'm in a situation where I'm buying guitars or amps to compare with one another. I think I've broken my record though sitting on 4 1K to 2K acoustics now. It's sort of an uneasy feeling having all the financial weight on you and you hope all goes well shipping them back, etc. You don't, say, buy them all at once, but you have one on a backup if another ends up not working out - you sort of chain. Lol.

There is always money lost though in the shipping charges. (I just paid $150 to send one back yesterday.) A couple are from Musicians Friend and GC so I can drive them back. I won't get the initial shipping to me back though obviously.

Any one else "Try before you buy"?

:yesway::metal:

I'll add the guitars for your entertainment. These are the actuals ...

Martin GpcPA1
000000117367134-00-2000x2000.jpg

Martin GpaPA3 - No neck binding
000000117302054-00-220x220.jpg

Martin GpaPA3 - W/ neck binding
s-l1600.jpg

Eastman AC622CE (returned)
7Kfuftm.png
I like acoustics but like my el cheapo models. Still have an old takamine i bought for $350 nearly 30 years ago… great guitar
I have more amps than i have gitars

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I went down that same road. Which did you decide to keep? (I ended up with the TC100.)
Played with the Mark V for ages. Figured yes with a bit of playing around I can gig this. Sounded great!
Then went to TC100. Done. That was the sound I wanted, more gain on channel 2, easier to set. I can put an EQ in loop to make up for that.
Happy with it, did first big gig in ages in Sept with it.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did you pull my quote out of one thread and insert it here as if I said that in this thread? Until now I haven't posted in this thread. It may not seem like a big deal but what if I posted on a thread about a guy getting good insurance money and I said "I'm glad that happened!" and you pulled it from that thread and quoted me in a thread where someone is talking about them getting a cancer diagnosis? Then it looks like you're quoting me as saying "I'm glad that happened!" in that thread. Don't do it again.

Holy crap! Go smoke a joint or something. It was a leftover copy where I quoted you from my thread that pasted above when I pasted somebody else's quote. I didn't notice it was still there. It was an accident. I deleted it. No children or animals were harmed.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I like acoustics but like my el cheapo models. Still have an old takamine i bought for $350 nearly 30 years ago… great guitar
I have more amps than i have gitars

This will my first nice one. My best was $600 Recording King until. Only doing it because I'm really digging the singing. Otherwise no interest would have been sparked. :metal:

Crikey

Reaction score
Love it. Sometimes a new guitars sparks the creative juices
Have fun

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Every once in a while, sort of through accumulation I'm in a situation where I'm buying guitars or amps to compare with one another. I think I've broken my record though sitting on 4 1K to 2K acoustics now. It's sort of an uneasy feeling having all the financial weight on you and you hope all goes well shipping them back, etc. You don't, say, buy them all at once, but you have one on a backup if another ends up not working out - you sort of chain. Lol.

There is always money lost though in the shipping charges. (I just paid $150 to send one back yesterday.) A couple are from Musicians Friend and GC so I can drive them back. I won't get the initial shipping to me back though obviously.

Any one else "Try before you buy"?

:yesway::metal:

I'll add the guitars for your entertainment. These are the actuals ...

Martin GpcPA1
000000117367134-00-2000x2000.jpg

Martin GpaPA3 - No neck binding
000000117302054-00-220x220.jpg

Martin GpaPA3 - W/ neck binding
s-l1600.jpg

Eastman AC622CE (returned)
7Kfuftm.png
Yeah thats the only way to do it! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Wat? You only had that guitar for 3 hours. :shrug:

Yeah, I went through the same crap with acoustics and finally gave up. All brand new, all kept 'em in a temperature & humidity controlled room:

Martin D-41
Beautiful. Piece of art. Well into the stupidity price range. But the body was so light it felt like an egg shell. The neck began to separate from the body after 1.5 years.

Martin D-28 HD
Best of the bunch in the store, but dull as a doorknob at home. I tried all kinds of different strings to no avail. The neck was big and it was heavy, and it would just dive no matter what I did.

Martin D-18
I wanted to love this simple Martin, but after several years I finally concluded that it was not a good example of the classic Martin "cannon" sound, and I'd just rather turn it back into cash for other things.

Martin... some Adirondack Spruce-top model
Cool. I live 30 minutes away from the Adirondack mountains. I could go there and get my own wood for free. LOL! This guitar sounded good, lots of top-end snap, but something kept bugging me - notes would buzz and at other times other notes would buzz. Then I finally realized the problem: this guitar had the lowest, smallest frets of any guitar I'd seen since a '74 Gibson Custom Anniversary "fretless wonder" Les Paul. I looked it up, and realized I'd paid full price on a model that had been discontinued (probably because of the frets). Oddly, I never noticed it in the store.

Martin... some cheap model with no binding.
It was the cheapest "all solid wood" acoustic they made without any composite materials. It was around $850. with the case. This guitar sounded like a cannon. It vibrated my living room floor. It was the best sounding Martin I'd had. But eventually I couldn't live with it because it was one of their "off" models, which had a-traditional specs. In this case, the neck was fairly small and I just couldn't warm up to the idea of a cheap Martin guitar that wasn't part of the classic lineup.

Gibson Hummingbird
Yeahh.. Gibson, there's that nice dry, woody tone again. Except this thing got sharp fret ends after the first winter in 50% humidity, which required an "authorized dealer" repair. No way did I want a brand new guitar at the "stupid money" price point that needed repair before it was 1 year old. Buh-bye.

Gibson Song Writer Studio Deluxe
Best acoustic guitar I ever owned, and I regret selling it. I wish I had it back, but by the time I sold it I'd already been disillusioned by the costs and hassle of buying and owning acoustic guitars. It was one of the few things I sold to help fund my Gibson R9.

What I've learned about quality acoustic guitars:
They're generally much more expensive than electrics, are very temperamental about changes in temp & humidity, and require a lot of maintenance, IF you plan on taking good care of them so they last forever. Otherwise, I used to see them in the local shop all the time - owner ignorance or neglect causing all sorts of problems, occasionally to the point of total ruin.

I have a sub-$500 Canadian thing now that's poly coated and is essentially a good copy of an early Martin D-18. That's all I need, I'm no longer interested in acoustic guitars much. But I think every electric player should own one, Yamaha or otherwise.

Closing comments
I'd gander that you, being as picky as me, won't end up very happy either, until you realize you don't want to be gigging a $2k+ acoustic guitar, and that some cheaper $500 thing will do the trick quite nicely and you won't have to worry about it. But for your sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Youre doing it wrong, get a Yamaha F335, I paid $179 for mine in 1980 and havent needed another acoustic since. My first and last acoustic, and I dont baby it...

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Youre doing it wrong, get a Yamaha F335, I paid $179 for mine in 1980 and havent needed another acoustic since. My first and last acoustic, and I dont baby it...

Seriously though, if you want a real nice deep, balanced, crisp, and present sound you guys know what it's all about. You wouldn't say this about your electrics or your amplification. :nono:

Not saying you need a Martin or a Taylor, but you will need about $1500 in to get a professional sounding acoustic. Now, name? Not really the matter - Yamaha makes guitars for 5K if you look them up. Now, I don't care what the brand is because it's usually a cost factor. The more you pay the more you get. You know this for sure. Or is that "You get what you pay for" ??

:usa:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
amps and guitars i try before i buy. those are the most expensive of your rig
and most important.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Seriously though, if you want a real nice deep, balanced, crisp, and present sound you guys know what it's all about. You wouldn't say this about your electrics or your amplification. :nono:

Not saying you need a Martin or a Taylor, but you will need about $1500 in to get a professional sounding acoustic. Now, name? Not really the matter - Yamaha makes guitars for 5K if you look them up. Now, I don't care what the brand is because it's usually a cost factor. The more you pay the more you get. You know this for sure. Or is that "You get what you pay for" ??

:usa:
I dont know..............as far as acoustics go I'm good with what I've got.