Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
IMG_20181116_132015_954_zpsakff4vs4.jpg

IMG_20190218_133404_100_zpsf6tragvy.jpg

Have the 50th JCM1H and JMP1H. Also have a Tattoo Series JVM1H w/ matching cab, and DSL1HR.

Absolutely fantastic amps, I won't ever part with. I wish I had bought all the 50th when I had the opportunity. Especially the JTM. I'm very tempted to buy the offset mini half stack.

Is that the factory headshell the JVM1 came in? That looks bigger than the standard one I've seen before. I have a DSL1HR on route, and if it works out, then I'm looking to re-shell it, preferably in a Plexi style headshell.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1, Offset stack and DSL1HR.

Bought the 50ths in 2012 brand new. I don't think there is anything left I haven't done with them. I used to have a mini PA system setup in my studio with each either miked up or DI into it. Backing tracks pumped through with the amps leveled out volume wise was like a small concert. I've used them miked at small gigs all the way to just enjoying them as is. Awesome little amps that just get better in tone as the speaker cabinet they're connected to grows. Also, let's not forget that at the .1 watt setting they essentially become a tube preamp.

Nice Collection

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with mine is it reminded me how fun Marshalls are to play (after years of being a fender guy), and now there is this.. 20 watt Plexi combo around.. tones I would use, easy to carry to gigs.. resist! resist! :)

Just go for it, you know you going to get one anyway :)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with mine is it reminded me how fun Marshalls are to play (after years of being a fender guy), and now there is this.. 20 watt Plexi combo around.. tones I would use, easy to carry to gigs.. resist! resist! :)

@tce63 hit the nail on its proverbial head!!

There only one thing available to you at this point,....;either give in now or give in later.

I think I speak for every member here when I say you are the perfect person to fall, (and fall hard), into the Marshall family! :D

Let’s recap,...You love your 1 watt Marshall after years of being a Fender guy,...check,...so its inevitable that you’re gonna get a higher wattage Marshall at some point....check,...You gig, so the SV20, (or the SC20), is the perfect one to get,...check....and I think deep down you know it!,....check! :agreed:

Now I’m just having some fun here @Alter with a new member, but the truth is not far off,....is it,....is it?

johan.b

Reaction score
...resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...:band:

L902

Reaction score
I love my SL5 on the 1 watt mode does that count? :slash: But I would love to pick up a JCM1/JMP1 but they almost never pop up used and people are asking a fortune. If I ever find a good deal I will definitely pick one up!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my SL5 on the 1 watt mode does that count? :slash: But I would love to pick up a JCM1/JMP1 but they almost never pop up used and people are asking a fortune. If I ever find a good deal I will definitely pick one up!

Why not try a Dsl1hr, they sound great,...and for only $299 you can’t go wrong!

L902

Reaction score
Why not try a Dsl1hr, they sound great,...and for only $299 you can’t go wrong!

I have the DSL50 already and had a DSL40C before with the usual mods. They both sound amazing cranked up or at least around 3-4 on the master. There is something about the DSL amps that sounds fizzy to me unless there is volume, even on the green crunch channels. With the SL5 I can put the gain anywhere and there is barely any fizz.

For 299 I might give it a shot though, hard not to :thumb:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the DSL50 already and had a DSL40C before with the usual mods. They both sound amazing cranked up or at least around 3-4 on the master. There is something about the DSL amps that sounds fizzy to me unless there is volume, even on the green crunch channels. With the SL5 I can put the gain anywhere and there is barely any fizz.

For 299 I might give it a shot though, hard not to :thumb:

You want to get rid of some of that fizziness? My Dsl1hr has none, neither do any of my other gain amplifiers, (Marshall combo,Bugera Head).

Try replacing the V1 position 12AX7 with a 5851,.....or even a 12AT7.

These tubes, (and there are others but these are the two l’ve used), will reduce the gain in the red channel. The 5751 has 70% of the gain of a 22AX7 and the 12AT7 has 60% of s 12AX7.

These two tubes in the V1 position have worked great for me! Also there is still plenty of gain on tap for any purpose. My amps sound do much more musical with these changes and it’s almost like the dynamic range of the amps has expanded!

I recommend you give it a try, you’ve got nothing to lose, except a few bucks. Oh, that reminds me, you don’t have to spend a bunch of money and get done crazy exotic tubes. I bought JJs for like $20

You may find all that fizziness gone with these!

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Absolutely love my 50th Anniversary amps - JCM-1C & DSL-1C. My first purchase was the JCM but the DSL compliments it perfectly. Both have had their speakers upgraded to Celestion G10 Greenbacks and they both sound incredible! Wasn’t too fond of the G10F-15 in the JCM, didn’t mind the Eight 15 in the DSL but it definitely sounded smaller than the Greenback.

ERIKVOKS

Reaction score
Had the JTM. At one watt found it too loud for our condo. At one-tenth , the tone was meh. Sold it, kept my Studio 15, used the Ultimate Attenuator and problem solved. The JTM is kind of a one trick pony requiring owning other amps. Love how the S15 can go Marshall/Fender/Vox - loads of options.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my DSL1 hr i own many amps and this bats above its weight. Not fizzy at all !! Just like a cranked plexi.
I feel the same way, my Dsl1hr sounds great thru a 1-12 cab with a Creamback 65. Like I said earlier, I changed out the V1 position preamp 12AX7 to a 5751. Tamed the gain just enough for a true classic Marshall tone. When I have the gain set at 9:00, volume dimed,... it sounds very much like my SC20 head.