Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Anyone else done speaker upgrades to their 1 watt combo? Not a lot of demos of 10 inch speakers online.. would love to hear what results others have had.

Brett336

Reaction score
Anyone else done speaker upgrades to their 1 watt combo? Not a lot of demos of 10 inch speakers online.. would love to hear what results others have had.

I have tried the ET-10 and that was a huge improvement over stock. Much louder too. I have a 10" Celestion Greenback in there now. I like the Greenback a lot mostly because when I fool around with the combo, I tend to run the gain down lower and the master up high to get a Plexi vibe. The GB seemed to have more character over the ET-10, but the ET-10 was really a very good speaker. Big, tight lows and highs that were not irritating. Really kind of a flat speaker - what you put it, you got out. I thinking of putting it back it because it made the combo seem bigger than it was.

Trying to find the Celestion G10c Vintage to see what that is all about.

Honestly, there was probably nothing wrong with the stock speaker and if I swapped it back in, I would probably be thinking it's great.

As guitar players, I think we get attracted to different and being better - it's amazing I have been married 35 years

Holzar88

Reaction score
Tons o' tiny JVM fun.

I've got a JVM Satriani, a big pedalboard and a Bogner 412, too. But this little beast holds its own. It's not the same, of course. But it sounds terrific for what it is. Just swapped in a WGS ET-65 into the cab, and it really rips.

vyiq8Xz.jpg

Last edited:

mtm105

Reaction score
1 W ( or is it .25 W?) Black heart Killer Ant. About $100 used. High trace PCB. 4,8 & 16 ohms.

Built better than Marshall. Maybe sounds better(?))

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
1 W ( or is it .25 W?) Black heart Killer Ant. About $100 used. High trace PCB. 4,8 & 16 ohms.

Built better than Marshall. Maybe sounds better(?))

Maybe stick to the subject matter? We're talking Marshall 1 watts. Let's not drag this conversation into other makes and models please.

Last edited:

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I have tried the ET-10 and that was a huge improvement over stock. Much louder too. I have a 10" Celestion Greenback in there now. I like the Greenback a lot mostly because when I fool around with the combo, I tend to run the gain down lower and the master up high to get a Plexi vibe. The GB seemed to have more character over the ET-10, but the ET-10 was really a very good speaker. Big, tight lows and highs that were not irritating. Really kind of a flat speaker - what you put it, you got out. I thinking of putting it back it because it made the combo seem bigger than it was.

Trying to find the Celestion G10c Vintage to see what that is all about.

Honestly, there was probably nothing wrong with the stock speaker and if I swapped it back in, I would probably be thinking it's great.

As guitar players, I think we get attracted to different and being better - it's amazing I have been married 35 years

You also have the JCM-1C? I have G10 Greenbacks in my 50th JCM-1 and DSL-1 and it’s a big improvement, was curious about the G10 Vintage, the Gold and about the new G10 Creamback!

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
You also have the JCM-1C? I have G10 Greenbacks in my 50th JCM-1 and DSL-1 and it’s a big improvement, was curious about the G10 Vintage, the Gold and about the new G10 Creamback!

You must've modified the baffle in the DSL1C for the 10. Curious as to your process for fit.

I have all the 50ths. The DSL1C and JVM1C were done a huge disservice with those 8" speakers. Not even the same amp through bigger cabinets. I disliked the stock speakers so bad I eventually pulled the chassis out and mounted them in a rack with a custom face plate to looked like the front of a head. I actually used them in certain gigs miked up.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
You must've modified the baffle in the DSL1C for the 10. Curious as to your process for fit.

I have all the 50ths. The DSL1C and JVM1C were done a huge disservice with those 8" speakers. Not even the same amp through bigger cabinets. I disliked the stock speakers so bad I eventually pulled the chassis out and mounted them in a rack with a custom face plate to looked like the front of a head. I actually used them in certain gigs miked up.

Actually I simply screwed the Greenback in place, it fits perfectly. I didn’t enlarge the baffle holes, probably should have, but don’t want to mess with it.. not sure if there’s an impact on the sound because of this, but it sounds pretty good to me! I agree that the 8 inch speaker is pretty weak.. it isn’t terrible though, not like the G10F-15 in the JCM-1, I really had a hard time bonding with that speaker, really mid-range focused.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Is that the factory headshell the JVM1 came in? That looks bigger than the standard one I've seen before. I have a DSL1HR on route, and if it works out, then I'm looking to re-shell it, preferably in a Plexi style headshell.

Yes. Nothing has been modified. It was part of the Tattoo Series of JVMs.

Sean Christie

Reaction score

Do yours have upgraded speakers or do you use extension cabs? I would love to use a 4x12, but live in an apartment, hence the reason for owning these as combos.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree completely!!

When I was first looking at the Dsl1 I was thinking, I’d love to see the combo with a 12, but a 10 would be ok. When I saw it came with an 8” speaker, I knew right away I was getting the head and a 1-12 cab.

I don’t care what anyone says about 8” speakers being this and that, and how they love the sound they’re getting with their 1 watt combo with the 8,.....I’m not buying a guitar amplifier with a 8” speaker,...period.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Actually I simply screwed the Greenback in place, it fits perfectly. I didn’t enlarge the baffle holes, probably should have, but don’t want to mess with it.. not sure if there’s an impact on the sound because of this, but it sounds pretty good to me! I agree that the 8 inch speaker is pretty weak.. it isn’t terrible though, not like the G10F-15 in the JCM-1, I really had a hard time bonding with that speaker, really mid-range focused.

Funny. I've never thought to check to see if one would fit. I ended up using the DSL and JVM because they had effects loops. So I just racked them and ran to 1x12's.

I know what you mean about the G10F-15. It wasn't a bad speaker but definitely budget and not a one fits all. My JMP1C came with a G10N-40 which was different from the rest.

My JCM1C, I ended up with a G10 Vintage in it. I have a G10 Greenback also in my collection. I like that speaker with a higher wattage amp that can push it. Sounds best driven hard.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Do yours have upgraded speakers or do you use extension cabs? I would love to use a 4x12, but live in an apartment, hence the reason for owning these as combos.

I upgraded all of mine. JTM1C Celestion G10 Gold Alnico, JMP1C & JCM1C G10 Vintage, Offset extension cab Weber Blue Pup Alnico. The DSL1C and JVM1C, I still keep the chassis in a rack and have the combo cabinets stored.

I thought the sound of the first 3 combos improved upgrading the speakers. More of a tone match although the G10N-40 wasn't bad at all in the JMP1C but I had the extra Vintage 10 so... And, it actually made them louder because they are more efficient than the stock G10F-15. It's not a huge jump but noticeable.

The small cabinet that came with the Offset, that Weber really sounds great in it. It's also the only 8 ohm of the bunch so that may be part of it. All the others that went to the combos were disappointing in it.

They all sound best into bigger cabinets no doubt. I have 1x12's, 2x12 and a 4x12. Those probably aren't apartment friendly I hate to tell you.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Funny. I've never thought to check to see if one would fit. I ended up using the DSL and JVM because they had effects loops. So I just racked them and ran to 1x12's.

I know what you mean about the G10F-15. It wasn't a bad speaker but definitely budget and not a one fits all. My JMP1C came with a G10N-40 which was different from the rest.

My JCM1C, I ended up with a G10 Vintage in it. I have a G10 Greenback also in my collection. I like that speaker with a higher wattage amp that can push it. Sounds best driven hard.

Very interesting, well the DSL is about the same height and width as the JCM and so I thought I’d see if the 10” would fit inside and low and behold it fit perfectly with about a 1/4” to spare on each side. I really did not bond with the G10F-15 and initially thought about the G10 Vintage, but wondered if it would be too similar to the stock speaker, so I went with the Greenback (also like that it’s made in the UK, something about spending that kind of money on a made in China speaker that bugs me..). I wonder if having one amp with the Vintage and the other with the Greenback would sound cool since they’re often both running together, I hear people often do this. I know efficiency is different though so not sure how this would work..

I too enjoy the effects loop in the DSL, I often run the two amps together in a wet/dry setup and use the DSL as my “wet” amp. I find they both sound quite similar the way I use them (JCM - preamp at 10 with the boost often engaged; DSL - ultra gain channel - gain at 8, MV to taste or as loud as I can go without disturbing my wife & neighbours). The DSL sounds more modern, I’m in my early 30s, so I grew up in the 90s/00s drooling over the full sized heads (DSL50 & 100), but they compliment each other nicely.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score

Very interesting, well the DSL is about the same height and width as the JCM and so I thought I’d see if the 10” would fit inside and low and behold it fit perfectly with about a 1/4” to spare on each side. I really did not bond with the G10F-15 and initially thought about the G10 Vintage, but wondered if it would be too similar to the stock speaker, so I went with the Greenback (also like that it’s made in the UK, something about spending that kind of money on a made in China speaker that bugs me..). I wonder if having one amp with the Vintage and the other with the Greenback would sound cool since they’re often both running together, I hear people often do this. I know efficiency is different though so not sure how this would work..

I too enjoy the effects loop in the DSL, I often run the two amps together in a wet/dry setup and use the DSL as my “wet” amp. I find they both sound quite similar the way I use them (JCM - preamp at 10 with the boost often engaged; DSL - ultra gain channel - gain at 8, MV to taste or as loud as I can go without disturbing my wife & neighbours). The DSL sounds more modern, I’m in my early 30s, so I grew up in the 90s/00s drooling over the full sized heads (DSL50 & 100), but they compliment each other nicely.

Im going to put my extra greenback 10 in there tonight. See how it goes. This is a good thing because I have that extra speaker with no home other than it's box. It's well broken in. Glad this conversation came up.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I run my JTM1 offset with 2*12 Greenbacks, perfect match.
Will order a 1*10 Greenback maybe Creamback to the Cab

Latest posts